18 replies to this topic

#1 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 05:35 PM

I'm a little reluctent to start this thread if what I want to do doesn't pan out, but I recently was talking to a fellow tractor collector who also works at a custom plastic shop, the discussion was that he can make a mold to cast draw repro dashes for the older MTD's . I'm waiting to here back how many can be done off of a mold to see if it can be cost effective. The last time I purchased one [ when they were available] from MTD ,they were 75 bucks, it kills a 100 bucks to fix one ,just in materials.
So my question to everyone is what is a new dash worth , how many guys need them
The 990 dash and the gear drive dashes are the same except the steering shaft hole is oblonged on the 990 for the off center steering .
  • tinner said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 08:31 PM

Sign me up for one if you get them reproduced. Thanks for gettin it done !! :thumbs:

#3 undertaker OFFLINE  

undertaker
  • Member No: 11394
  • 67 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 02:38 PM

I need a 990 dash and two others for my 16 hp gear drive and my 14 hp gear drive I think the models are 960 but the dash is the same. So that would be 3.

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 10:49 PM

I need one to for my gear drive.It's missing the left corner and is pretty thin on the top lip.

Would be nice to get one for made out of either stamped tin or Aluminum.

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 02:45 PM

Have interest, but am cheap too! I knew young fella that did the car cowling parts like so many use for lowering air flow and what ever by making foam molds, fiberglassing and finishing top surface after out of mold. He mae some pretty neat stuff too. A guy with that tallent should be able to make some maybe? I should ask him about it. Would think fiberglas would be easiest to make one, just need a good one for starter mold building. The one on my smaller Ranch King from MTD IS fiberglass and is now fraying and gets me full of itchy glass whenever I work on it. Thinking just a new gelcoat brushed on might work on fixing that one.

#6 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 07:13 PM

I've made them out of fiberglass, and repaired them with fusor 152., doing them in fiberglass is cheaper but takes alot of finish work, Fusor does a nice job , and is stronger than original, but you still have to prep and paint when your done. If I can get molded it would be in black like original. Like I posted once before ,the hood/ grille have to be adjusted properly to prevent dash damage, I think when they came down the assembly line they were just slapped together.

#7 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 01:16 PM

You already know I need one. I would surely take one but it would be nice to keep the cost down. My tractor is in such nice shape that It would be a shame to leave it broken.

#8 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 07:39 PM

I'm searching for a GT with a stamped dash that's close to the same size.I'm thinking that maybe an older sears suburban aluminum dash may fit.I like the way the 990s dash is molded shape wise but it's construction is pathetic.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4aa60461e8

#9 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 12:56 PM

I agree it wasn't one of MTD's better ideas, but once everthing has been adjusted properly ,I haven't had any break back out.
I haven't got word back yet on how many dashs can be done off of a mold, or cost of material for each dash, I do know that the mold will cost around 600 bucks, so as you can see quite a few would have to be done to make it worth the while.

#10 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 01:29 PM

I don't know if you'd be able to front the start-up costs, but I really believe that there are enough out there that would buy them to at least cover the cost of having them made. They might sell well on ebay too?

#11 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 02:13 PM

I could use one for my 990.
  • Canawler said thank you

#12 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 04:18 PM

I havn't heard back on the plastic dash yet, I had a conversation with josh about a place in the next town over that mass produces parts in fiberglass/ gelcoat. i prefer the plastic because it will be molded in black like the original, and no need to paint, were as the fiberglass would have to be finished off. But if this doesn't pan out I may look into it.
  • tinner and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#13 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 07:59 PM

I'm going to run this dash up to $100 + shipping.Hope none of you are bidding but my dash is busted beyond repair.Both corners are busted out and the big flat piece just below the steering wheel is kicked out Huge hole.

I seen he was parting out a 1200 and asked him to post the dash.He was just going to junk it otherwise.

He has the 5 lug rear hubs for it yet if anyone is interested just send him a message.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

If I don't win this dash I'm going to start gathering up some steel and weld one up this coming spring.

Edited by EricFromPa, December 22, 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#14 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 01:12 AM

Guess I know WHO I'm bidding against now! :wallbanging: :( :shoot2:

#15 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 11:55 AM

You guys did notice both corners are broken off and it has several other cracks?? As you mentioned, he was going to throw it away.