GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 03:07 PM

I am having a bunch of trouble finding the right o-ring for hydrostatic transmission on a Cub Cadet 169.

The o-ring goes between the charge pump housing and the center section housing on the hydrostatic transmission. It is item #43, part #IH-23707-R1 on page #15 of the parts manual. I ordered the part on October 5th and got the call it was in on October 12th, went over to pick it up and it had mysteriously disappeared. Reordered it that day and today got the call to pick it up, went back over and looked at the part and it was incorrectly crossed-over to a Case part.

Same size but it was a round o-ring and the part I pulled out was square as is the groove it sets in. Spent an hour between the parts guy, the parts manager and the lady that actually orders the parts. The order lady called at CC and tried to find out why they crossed it to the round part. I asked her to call CC parts and have someone actually get off their rump, pull the part and take a look at it. Nope she has no way of contacting the parts warehouse and it is actually in a different state than the tech gurus. Ordered the CC part but don't know if the CC parts department will cross it again.

Bottom line can someone tell me if the part is actually round or square? Perhaps someone along the way changed the charge pump housing over the almost four decades since the 169 was built.

Thanks,

Edited by GTTinkerer, October 17, 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 03:21 PM

Not the info you wanted, but I've used round O-rings in place of square many times & never a problem.

#3 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 17, 2012 - 03:29 PM

I have put in a bunch of round ones that turned square. They will smash to fit the slot, If the slot and oring are designed right, the oring will fill the groove plus a little to get a tight seal. if you still have the old one or the parts handy you can take them to a REAL tractor place not a lawn and garden shop, they should be able to match the old one or come up with one that fits better.

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 03:41 PM

Around here, "General Rubber & Plastics" has just about anything I need O-ring wise & lots more.

#5 achomesteader ONLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 05:29 PM

I believe it was round Bill. This one was packaged in 2007:

Posted Image

#6 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 05:44 AM

The dealer I am working with sells everything from push mowers to farm tractors to IH class 8 trucks.

I tried using a round o-ring and it does not have the mass to fill the space in the groove. If I have to use the round o-ring I'll be adding the Permatex red Gasket Eliminator with it. I use it on any application where there is a metal to metal seal like case halves on the old VWs and motorcycle engines.

Thanks for the replies.

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 06:39 PM

If it's Square then some one changed the charge pump or the whole pump on your tractor with some other brand pump.

Grasshopper uses a square charge pump for they're zero turn machines but I don't think it will bolt up to a Cub Cadet transaxle.

Can you post a pic or 2 of your pump and tractor?

Edited by EricFromPa, October 23, 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#8 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Mcmaster Carr has sqare  Orings          

http://www.mcmaster....g/=lf9ew2       Dave

#9 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 08:26 PM

Bill, Grand Traverse Rubber has lots of sizes of o-rings.  They had one on hand for a water softener that no one else did.  Gaylord, TC, and Mt Pleasant.  Gives you another possibility.

http://www.gtrubber.com/