#1 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 11:13 AM

Good Morning,
Well Im back with some more questions hopefully some one out there knows the anwser to.I have a Bolens 1220 Tractor,Snowcaster and mower deck,the problem attaching the Blower is resolved I got the correct drive shaft unit for it.The real issue was the wrong driveshaft on the mower which of course prevented the blower going on. I think this deck on the tractor is wrong it does not look like the Bolens parts breakdown,my bel cover is smooth,wrong driveshaft etc.Attached hopefully are the pictures of the deck that was mounted.I think the red linkage parts are right.Is this the right deck for a Bolens 1220 tractor? Thanks for looking. Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• Deck 1.JPG
  • Cover.JPG
  • Deck 2.JPG
  • Mount.JPG

#2 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 01:12 PM

Well, it certainly looks different to me. I'm no expert here on mower decks, but I would wager to say that your deck is either much older or newer than is designed for your 1220 Bolens, or this is not a Bolens deck at all (but it is driveshaft driven). From the pictures, I can't see a Bolens Serial number sticker on it anywhere, but that's not to say that it didn't get destroyed either. That gearbox definitely looks weird to me and is why I say that maybe it is a much older deck somehow? It COULD be a deck from like an Eliminator series though too, possibly? I don't know much about those models of Bolens tractors though. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

#3 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 04:55 PM

So you think maybe that all the period Bolens decks should look like below? I think some body went to alot of trouble installing the wrong deck and to make it right I need to find whats below.Also the pictures I seen the Bolens decks are green in colour or red correct?

Attached Files

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 05:14 PM

Its definitely not a tubeframe deck.....
The deck dosent look to be Bolens either.
Its not from an ST,XL or Eliminator series which means its for a different brand of tractor.
I think this is one of those homemade hack jobs where the previous owner attempted to make it fit on the 1220.
I guess this explains why you were having trouble getting the blower attached with this deck's driveshaft .
  • MailmAn said thank you

#5 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 05:19 PM

the shape gives away the peerless gear box and i am not sure about the other stuff but the gear box is common to the late 70's G--XL as they used shaft drive to a similar gearbox and turned 90 degrees to a pully that ran the rearend with a clutch on the drive belt. 1000 could it be for a duratrac.

Edited by bolex, October 17, 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 05:27 PM

So you think maybe that all the period Bolens decks should look like below? I think some body went to alot of trouble installing the wrong deck and to make it right I need to find whats below.Also the pictures I seen the Bolens decks are green in colour or red correct?

Yes, that is the style deck you are looking for.
The 1220 Would have been originally sold with the Green deck with anti scalp rollers as standard equipment. (Early decks did not come with rollers) The Red decks were made from 1970-1972 , Black decks were produced from 1973-1978.
98% of the tubeframe decks are interchangeable if you have the correct mounting hardware.
  • Mike Unwin said thank you

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 05:30 PM

the shape gives away the peerless gear box and i am not sure about the other stuff but the gear box is common to the late 70's G--XL as they used shaft drive to a similar gearbox and turned 90 degrees to a pully that ran the rearend with a clutch on the drive belt. 1000 could it be for a duratrac.

I dont think its Bolens (Though the gear box may be)
I have never seen a deck cover and runners like that on any of the 80's/90's Decks. By this time Bolens was using Split covers for their decks and this one is 1 whole piece.
  • wilberj said thank you

#8 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 05:32 PM

Can you get a picture of the underside of the deck?

#9 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 05:40 PM

im not sure that it doesnt look like a mtd 990 deck.go to the mtd section and check there.

#10 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 05:45 PM

I am going with doc it dont look bolens....

#11 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 08:12 AM

Thanks every one,maybe should have called this post " what the heck I got " and by heck you know what I mean.Here is the under side pictures.At least the blower and tractor turned out all right.Are decks very hard to come by generally ?This one never hung right,it was missing the torsional springs for the left and right hangers however. Cheers Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• under 1 (1).JPG
  • under 1 (3).JPG
  • Bolens 3.JPG

• Bolens 1000 and MailmAn have said thanks

#12 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 08:15 AM

You shouldnt have any problems locating a deck as almost every tractor sold had one with it. Check your local Craigslist/ ebay and you should be able to find a decent deck in operating condition for under $200

#13 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 12:13 PM

At least the blower and tractor turned out all right.

I'll say! From the pictures of your tractor and blower, they look really nice! Was there some fresh paint applied to it at all before you got it? Or is it just in really good used condition? Looks like you got yourself a nice tractor there, despite the deck. I have seen a few tube frame decks, mostly 42" ones, on eBay for around $100-$200, depending on condition. Some are pretty rough and need a complete rebuild, but I'd say probably most are in decent useable condition. Sometimes it may be hard to find a deck just by itself that is any decent condition as 99% of the time they are sold with the tractor and not separately. It might take some time, but I'm sure you can probably find something.

I always have my eyes out there myself looking for 38" decks with anti-scalp rollers to replace the deck I have that is older and doesn't have any rollers on it. The deck I have works fine and I spent a lot of time and money fixing it up (I can't even say restoring since I'm not happy with how the paint turned out on it...) but I'm not happy with the way it sometimes scalps the lawn depending on how you mow with it and the contours of the lawn, etc... If you have any ridge in the lawn or like the top of even a slight hill it scalps it and I'm not happy with that myself.

Edited by MailmAn, October 18, 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#14 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 01:37 PM

It was in a barn hay mow 3 weeks ago,orginal paint on both snow caster is faded though.I will put the word out and see what turns up got lot,s of time now till summer.Thanks for your input. Cheers Mike

#15 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,310 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 10:57 PM

That is a MTD 990 Deck.I have the same exact deck on my Fourteen Hundred.Here's a pic of it with all the lift arms.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0055.JPG

• Bolens 1000, MailmAn and Mike Unwin have said thanks