daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 11:38 AM

I really enjoy watching the harvesters around dad's place. Those are great shots.

I don't understand farm economics either. The machinery is getting huge and the small farms are vanishing fast.

#17 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 11:51 AM

A lot of the farmer around here lease their combines. Some of them even lease their large tractors

#18 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted February 25, 2013 - 10:57 PM

Most of the combines have auto adjusting and flex heads for rough and uneven ground . some will tilt side to side if necessary . It's amazing how smooth they operate . They can be set so that even a mound of dirt will raise or lower a header automatically . Nowadays they even have gps , just sit back annd relax.

#19 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted February 26, 2013 - 09:50 AM

I always scoffed at the GPS, and the 50 grand or so it took to get going with it. Two things changed my mind. First, you can run longer. When the weather is cooperating, it's time to go. And when you don't have to try to maintain that concentration level to plant straight, and can concentrate on the monitors instead, you can run a longer day. Second, when you're running a sprayer that has a 90'-120' boom, how the heck do you know what row to run down next? You're going to skip or overlap sooner or later. Not with GPS.

Good pic of a flex head at work:

MacDonFlexDraper.jpg