Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 05:47 AM

The nice thing about have even just a few raised beds is for most gardeners it mean a spot that you can plant a few early season crops while when the rest of the garden is still way too wet to work . Al

#17 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 09:31 AM

Around here it's the frozen ground that hinders how early you can plant.. That and the foot of snow we get in march and some times april.

#18 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 03:00 PM

Al, great looking garden. Like some of the others, I need to get some raised beds put in. I would actually like to have a small greenhouse for starting from seed. Question, was that 6th picture showing some Jolokia peppers? This year a coworker started some from seed and I grew a plant in a 5 gal bucket... man are those things HOT.
  • JD DANNELS said thank you

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 06:44 PM

Al, great looking garden. Like some of the others, I need to get some raised beds put in. I would actually like to have a small greenhouse for starting from seed. Question, was that 6th picture showing some Jolokia peppers? This year a coworker started some from seed and I grew a plant in a 5 gal bucket... man are those things HOT.

Twostep: like you a greenhouse is real high on my one of these days list. However I'm not about to wait and as they say Po Folks have Po ways.
i think i have less that $50 buying the shelf and lights in this and have another one that will be set next to it next year

I'll try to post a picture of what we are doing in the meantime. We have a sun room on the east side of the house and we started all out plants in there this year.
I bought a cheap Rubbermaid plasic shelf and bungee corded grow light to the bottom of each shelf, the white stuff on the bottom shelf are styrofoam cups we transplanted plants into when they got too big for the trays. Note you don't have to have a sun room, a friend on that other site starts all his plants in his basement under grow lights.
Oh the planter to the right is the kitchen herbs the wife uses daily,they were transpLANTED FROM THE GARDEN BEFORE FIRST FROST AND WILL BE AVAILABLE ALL WINTER

Posted Image<a%20href=Botched the link will be back to correct it. This is not a good picture but should illustrate the idea.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 25, 2012 - 06:59 PM.

• twostep said thank you

#20 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 10:54 PM

JD that's the same set up i have used for a few years.. Im trying to expand on it but more of a flat lay out.. easier to see..

#21 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 07:41 AM

JD that's the same set up i have used for a few years.. Im trying to expand on it but more of a flat lay out.. easier to see..

Yes a flatter layout on tables of some sort would be better. I started out without the grow lights, but once the plants came up. I had to turn the trays daily because the plants would grow towards the window seeking light. They would get spindly.
So put the grow lights on the shelves. I do have one of those plastic/vinyl folding tables that cost little and could be set up too.
To be honest this is a project Jo handles, she gets so antsy to get in the garden in the early spring that starting the plants helps satisfy that urge.
  • Team_Green said thank you

#22 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 01:12 PM

Yes a flatter layout on tables of some sort would be better. I started out without the grow lights, but once the plants came up. I had to turn the trays daily because the plants would grow towards the window seeking light. They would get spindly.
So put the grow lights on the shelves. I do have one of those plastic/vinyl folding tables that cost little and could be set up too.
To be honest this is a project Jo handles, she gets so antsy to get in the garden in the early spring that starting the plants helps satisfy that urge.

I'm attempting to grow carrots in the house over the winter..

#23 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 02:49 PM

Keep us up on how that goes. That is one thing I have never had much luck growing. They seem to take very loose soil and the soil around here seems to crowd the tubers so they cant expand?