• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 05:02 PM

Spent today at The Biltmore Estate in Asheville NC....
It is amazing what a few millions of dollars in 1895 will build!
Oh, and it cost 3 of us over $200 to get in!

Who-ever said "Money can't buy happiness" was full of crap!

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 05:14 PM

I've never been there. What did you get for two hundred dollars?

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 06:47 PM

Pretty nice lawn striping in the pics. Did you ask what brand of mowers they run?

If there were mountains closer, I would of been looking for animal topiary. Place has an 'Overlook Hotel' thing going on with it. (The Shining, Stephen King)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Cat385B, October 16, 2012 - 06:52 PM.

#4 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 11:54 PM

Lots of them "estates" here in the Hudson Valley of NY. Some are just crumbling old stone building walls in the woods and some are President Roosvelt's place. Samuel F.B. "Dot Dash" Morse's place is another nice one S. of Poughkeepsie. Them folks with the business acumen then as now know how to and do "live" large. That's what made America great. And think of how many people and familys them rich b*****ds kept under salary! I think we should should start trying to support those people again instead of tearing them down and sending them and their money offshore.

#5 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 08:07 AM

They were mowing on Tuesday and the picture you have posted was being mowed parallel with the longer drive. There were many "Z" turn mowers going, and I only saw the brand of 1 of them, and it was a TORO, but there may have been others.

The $200 got 3 of in the gate and each a headset for the audio tour...no guided tour. It also got us the valet parking...Oh, and my mother-in-law got a senior discount!
Over $10 for 3 glasses of tea!
There were other tours that could be purchased in addition to the admission we paid. Interesting though....you could upgrade your admission to a 12 month admission for about $20 more......But, they took your picture and had it on the ticket, therefore, unless you have an identical twin, you will be the only one permitted to use the ticket.
  • daytime dave said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 03:51 PM

They were mowing on Tuesday and the picture you have posted was being mowed parallel with the longer drive. There were many "Z" turn mowers going, and I only saw the brand of 1 of them, and it was a TORO, but there may have been others.

The $200 got 3 of in the gate and each a headset for the audio tour...no guided tour. It also got us the valet parking...Oh, and my mother-in-law got a senior discount!
Over $10 for 3 glasses of tea!
There were other tours that could be purchased in addition to the admission we paid. Interesting though....you could upgrade your admission to a 12 month admission for about $20 more......But, they took your picture and had it on the ticket, therefore, unless you have an identical twin, you will be the only one permitted to use the ticket.

I won't be going there! That's way over my budget!