• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • Member No: 9183
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 10:17 PM

Hey guys, does anyone have any ideas on where i may some engine specs and info on a 1930's-early 40's Empire with a Johnson Iron Horse engine? Maybe even what year it would be? I have found out that they were made in Peterbourgh, Ontario with is cool. The model no. is X467 and serial no. is 131359. Any help would be great.
Thanks
Parry

Attached Thumbnails

• 002.JPG
  • 007.JPG
  • 003.JPG
  • 004.JPG

• tractorman604, Cvans, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 10:21 PM

Wish I could help out. I would guess that the engine was built by the same Johnson who invented the outboard motor. That is one very cool 2 wheel garden tractor. Good luck and keep this thread up to date. I want to know more about it also.

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 10:29 PM

Interesting machine. Has anyone ever compiled a complete list of 2 wheeled tractor manufacturers for North America?

#4 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,189 Thanks
  • 5,212 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 10:43 PM

Never seen one of them before thanks for the pics.

#5 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 10:44 PM

Wish I could help out. I would guess that the engine was built by the same Johnson who invented the outboard motor. That is one very cool 2 wheel garden tractor. Good luck and keep this thread up to date. I want to know more about it also.

Thanks! And the price wasen't too bad. You are right, it was made by the Johnson and Evnrude outboard motors. The guy i bought it from said he plowed his garden a year or two ago and hasen't used it since. So i asked my neighbour to have a look at it and get it running for me. He's about 70yrs old and remembers them.

#6 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 10:52 PM

Interesting machine. Has anyone ever compiled a complete list of 2 wheeled tractor manufacturers for North America?

Yes, well some. The website i found is www.asecc.com. Some helpful info. I also picked up a 1946 Empire Model C with a 3hp Briggs with a hand crank start a fwe weeks ago but sorry no pics just yet. I wonna restore it this winter.
  • tractorman604 and LilysDad have said thanks

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 12:36 AM

Well yes, a long time back both Allen King and Dave Baas, printed out a series of books on garden tractors. Back then it was really the 2 wheeled models that got any notice, but there were some riders in the books. 90% of these true "garden tractors" were never built to mow grass, just plow and cultivate food plots.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 05:40 AM

Great tractor you have !! Never saw one that I can remember , is everything there as far as the drive ?

#9 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 07:46 AM

Neat looking machine, first I ever seen, good luck with it, thanks for sharing,,,
  • Humey222 said thank you

#10 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 08:29 PM

Great tractor you have !! Never saw one that I can remember , is everything there as far as the drive ?

Yes everything is there except the air breather but i think i can find one thats a pretty close match. I has the plow, cultivator, and disc. Thanks for the compliment.
  • Alc said thank you

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 03:04 PM

Well yes, a long time back both Allen King and Dave Baas, printed out a series of books on garden tractors. Back then it was really the 2 wheeled models that got any notice, but there were some riders in the books. 90% of these true "garden tractors" were never built to mow grass, just plow and cultivate food plots.

Jeff, Do you have either one of these books? Do you know what the titles were?

#12 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 01:33 AM

Jeff, Do you have either one of these books? Do you know what the titles were?

Of course, i have all the books, got them when they came out and were cheap. Allen King has done books in all kinds of Horticulture and garden items plus other things. There is a series of books, called Garden Tractors, and volumes 2 -3. Each one covers more and better stuff than the one before it. these came out in 92, 95 and 98. Dave Baas printed at least 2 books called Vintage Garden Tractors, one in 90 the other in 92. All five of these are out of print now, and harder to find. I think orginally they cost me somewhere around $10 each, which seemed like a lot then, but cheap now. You see them on eBay once in a while.

I also have books like the Tractor field Guide, published by Farm Implement News Co. These books are chuck full of tractor info both large and small, plus tons of ad so you could see who was selling what during the time frame. They have a fairly nice section in the back for GT's , that i use to get the engine spec's and tire sizes, etc. My oldest one is a 47 , newest is 53. When i started finding them you could get a nice copy for $20 or less, now there up over $60. One just has to decide what having orginal reseach items in house is worth. I also have several catalogs from the differnt chain stores of the time, like Brown, Lynch, Scott, Sears and Monkey Wards. There are other things here like 40 and 50's PM & PS magizines, which are a trove of info on the new models of the day. After that there is the net, where you can find almost any thing if you know where to look it.
  • Alc and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#13 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 05:39 AM

There is a fellow that takes I believe 3 Empire tractors to the Pioneer show in Bracebridge Muskoka but his appear to be much older with wooden handlebars and very heavy. He has a lot of the paperwork on them also.
His remind me of the first Simplicity tractors and recall discussing the B&S engines on them.

Garry

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 06:22 AM

That is a cool old machine.Thanks for the photos.

#15 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 10:10 AM

Well that brings back some memories I had a couple Empire walk behinds and some Iron Horse engines made in Peterbough my Grandfather William worked in a shop called A.E. Browns at 61 Main Street Toronto as a mechanic on Iron Horse engines.I still have the original shop manuals and some rulers from the shop.I just checked my bookshelf and still have Vintage Garden Tractors by Dave Bass1990,2 nd edition 1992 and Garden Tractors by Alan C King 1992.Used to have a fair sized collection of hit and miss engines,walk behinds and 2 Massey Harris # 30,s also a Waterloo Bronco kinda of lost interest and slod most of the harware few things like my Stover engines I wished now I had kept. Cheers Mike