Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Vote Now For Featured Tractor Of The Month Of November 2012

voting featured tractor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote now for featured tractor of the month of November 2012 (92 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote now for featured tractor of the month of November 2012

1. Massey Ferguson MF10 - Bud (25 votes [27.17%])

Percentage of vote: 27.17%

2. AMF 1010 - LTD (13 votes [14.13%])

Percentage of vote: 14.13%

3. Voted Gilson 53040 - Thops (8 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

4. Gravely C-8 - HowardsMF155 (9 votes [9.78%])

Percentage of vote: 9.78%

5. Bolens H14 - 8tyman8 (8 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

6. Bolens Power Hoe - Nato77 (10 votes [10.87%])

Percentage of vote: 10.87%

7. Suzue Grain Binder - timtractor (19 votes [20.65%])

Percentage of vote: 20.65%

Vote

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 07:41 PM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of November 2012 has now officially started and will end the last day of October. This month's theme is "Harvest Month".

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of November and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. Our featured tractor winners are also printed in the Lawn & Garden Tractor Magazine so if you are not a subscriber you are missing out.

We have 7 nominations this month.
  • Massey Ferguson MF10 - Bud
  • AMF 1010 - LTD
  • Gilson 53040 Thops
  • Gravely C-8 - HowardsMF155
  • Bolens H14 - 8tyman8
  • Bolens Power Hoe - Nato77
  • Suzue Grain Binder - timtractor

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.
  • hatedge said thank you

#2 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:37 AM

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by KennyP, October 03, 2012 - 06:06 AM.
Set paragraph

• grand, olcowhand, mjodrey and 9 others have said thanks

#3 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 03:59 PM

I would like to nominate my 1973 AMF(American Machine and Foundry) 1010. I came upon the 1010 one day last spring, for sale online . I thought it was a cool machine but didn't buy it. About a week later a guy emailed me and asked if I wanted to trade an Amf 1010 he had for a Cub Cadet 122 that I had listed at the time.
I figured it was the same one I saw in the ad. It was, and I said I would be interested in trading. So the next day he brought it down so I could look at it. It ran but needed a carb cleaning. It even came with the original AMF owners manuel! We ended up trading even up as the Cub Cadet needed a little work also, and they both had decks and snowblowers.
I took the carburator apart and cleaned it and after that it ran great. It ended up being my main mowing tractor for the summer. I mow very close to 2 acres of lawn a week. This winter I hope to get the snowblower mounted up on it and use it for a backup machine for my other snowblowing tractor.
It has the 10 horse tecumseh engine and 4 speed Peerless transmission. The engine has been been great so far but I know that they will quite often lose the connecting rod, and when it does I figure I will put a Kohler K301 in it.
The cart I got for free about five years ago.It was was originally Wheel Horse but two years ago I painted it International Harvestor white to match all the Cub Cadets I have around.
Somebody may have noticed that it looks very similar to a Massey Ferguson 10. From my research, it is identical to a 10 except for the sheetmetal and paint.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0941.JPG
  • IMG_0943.JPG
  • IMG_0945.JPG
  • IMG_0949.JPG
  • IMG_0947.JPG

Edited by LTD, October 05, 2012 - 04:00 PM.

• grand, olcowhand, mjodrey and 5 others have said thanks

#4 Thops OFFLINE  

Thops

• Member No: 8348
  • 17 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 06:18 AM

Hi !
Here is a nomination (November 2012) from Sweden.
This is my Gilson 53040.
I bought it 2 years ago to get the snow away from our yard and driveway. The tractor has been named "Snörvel" that is a swedish play with words that in englsh would be like combining "snow" with "dripping nose" in one word.
Snörvel was probably born as a lawnmower in the early seventies and i have no knowledge about his adventures until he came to me as a snowmover.
I had som trouble with the engine, but after a lot of good help here at GT he is now ready for the winter.
As he was unusuable due to engineproblems i took the oportunity to repaint both the tractor and the plow.
The next project would be to construct som more tools for him so get som more work in the summer.

Attached Thumbnails

• Snorvel 2012.jpg
  • Snorvel 2011.jpg
  • Snorvel 2012 2.jpg

Edited by Thops, October 08, 2012 - 06:20 AM.

• grand, olcowhand, mjodrey and 7 others have said thanks

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 12:46 PM

I'm going to nominate my 1974 Gravely C-8 tractor. In 1995 I was dwelling in an apartment, had been for over 10 years, and did not own any lawn equipment, and had really given no thought to owning any lawn equipment. However, I was vaguely responsible for my father's house and the 2.5 acres that came with the house. During a visit to the house to ready it for new tenants, I discovered that no one had been maintaining the meadow surrounding the house, and numerous pine trees had grown up, many of them 7 feet tall and over 2 inches at base. I wanted to clear these meadows, and return them to the original grassy state they had been, as my father was going to be retiring and moving into the house in a few years. The first step I took to tame the tangled growth was to rent a machine from a local company and use it. Between safety switches, a locked differential, and a lack of power for my problem, that machine worked me more than I worked it!
Now, I grew up using a Gravely tractor, and by the end of that day, I said to myself "I am going to buy a Gravely tractor, because I KNOW it will do the job." But the problem was, where could I find a Gravely to buy? I had not seen one in years. So, I called the Gravely company and asked if there were any dealers close to me that were still ordering parts for older Gravely tractors. The closest dealer we found was in Roanoake Virginia, about 3 & 1/2 hours away. First, I tried talking to the dealer, who wanted far too much for a tractor. Then I placed a "Wanted" ad in the local Roanoake paper, hoping to find someone who would sell me a tractor. Eventually, a gentleman called me and said he would sell me his old tractor, a 1974 Gravely C-8 with a bush hog and a sulky. We had a pleasant conversation, and when I found out where he lived, I couldn't believe it! He lived in my childhood town of Marion, Virginia, though he didn't know my family. At any rate, we agreed on a time and a date, and I arranged to travel with my wife for the pick-up.
I arrived and found the tractor in good condition, ready to work, and paid for it, loaded it into the truck and eventually arrived back at my Dad's house with it. I worked and worked on that meadow, cutting up brambles, trimming under overgrown grape vines, and avoiding anything with a trunk diameter larger than an inch. The larger pine trees were pulled out by the roots with a winch so as not to leave long-lasting stumps behind.
I have now owned this tractor for 17 years. I have only owned my own home for 12. When I finished my work at Dad's house, I pulled the engine off and had it bored, sleeved, and new piston and rings installed. I also found a crack in one of the handlebars and welded that, then welded a reinforcement plate to the handlebar. I re-engineered the PTO engagement lever so that it would engage and disengage more easily, painted the hood and the handlebars, and switched tires to a wider 16x6.50x8. Until last year, I used this tractor to mow my lawn, plow my garden, plow snow and a myriad of other chores. If there is a tough job to be done, my first question is "Can I do this with my Gravely?" When the Raleigh area received a record 20 inch snowfall in 1999, my Gravely was ready to go with a home built "V" plow. When Dad wanted to go camping at his old family farm, grown up in pines and brush, the Gravely was there, ready to clear a road and cut a clearing. When I was putting a fence up at our new home, and the post hole digger I rented could not penetrate the dry dirt, the Gravely was there to start the holes so water could soak into the dry dirt. I expect that one day, when my kids are grown, one of them will say "Can I borrow the Gravely?" and it will be there, ready to go!
GE 006.JPG
GE 013.JPG
GE 007.JPG

Edited by HowardsMF155, October 12, 2012 - 06:26 PM.

• grand, olcowhand, Utah Smitty and 4 others have said thanks

#6 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 07:57 PM

hello i am going to nominate my 1975 bolens h14 i picked up from a scrap yard last fall ( tried to find the place and nearly got shot ) we found the scrap yard and were walking around and here is a tractor with grass and weeds growing out of the wheel (that tire did not hold air LOL) the closer i got i found it was a bolens and a hydro ! at that i asked the fellow what he would like and he said 75 dollars (like a seine from a wild wild west movie) i reached into my pocket and pulled out my wallet and payed the man.
after some time i got the tractor home and tryed to get it going .. with no luck would not run right back fired it was bad after rebuilding the carb i forgot to tighten the throttle plate bolts and then then engine was toast .. uh oh. i worked a few deals and manged to get a briggs and stratton 16 hp twin that i re-powered the tractor with. now after some more time i have installed power-steering (that project can be found on the bolens forum) and now i am installing aux hydraulics. I am 17 and autistic and have learned Alot from this project and this Forum I am greatly thankful for this forum and the people on it.
Cheers
Tyler
IMG_0620.JPG
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0425.JPG
(edit) sorry i did not fully read the rules and such i forgot to add the tractor it used to do small and big jobs around the neighbor hood such as 2 days ago i had to level out some land and the next day i had the roto-tiller on and was roto tilling my friends garden then just a this night i was pulling out a birch tree then in the winter i do snow removal and plowing also i Will get some pictures from the garden harvest.I got out to my adopted grand-fathers to do some roto tilling and to get some pictures (i am in the city and there is not alot of gardens .there was not too much to pick every thing is dieing off :( the beans have stopped production the tomatoes are still green the lettuce is slowing down. and in ontario we had no rain all summer there was Alot of lost crops i feel sorry for all the farmers that lost crops
IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG

Edited by 8tyman8, October 09, 2012 - 06:30 PM.

• grand, olcowhand, Utah Smitty and 5 others have said thanks

#7 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 11:27 PM

I would like to nominate my little Bolens Power-Hoe tractor. She's a 1946 model 12A with a whole 1 1/2 hp Briggs engine. Hadn't had this one that long (little over a month) but was one of the easier ones to get going (have 3 of them).

This spring I planted some pumpkins in hopes of beating my buddy in producing the largest one. Well I have to say I finally beat him and the other day I was trying to figure out how in the world I was going to move them (one of them is atleast 200 lbs if not a little more). One night I was brain stormin and came up with the idea of throwing them on a sled of somesorts. Walking around in the shed remmebered that I had one that I hauled wood out of the grove in the winter.

That sled would work just fine, but what to pull it with? I could just get out the old trusty 1050, but I had gotten my Power-Hoe running afew weeks back and wondered if she could pull it.

So I got her out of the shed and took the cultivator shanks and brackets off leaving just the wheels (so it wouldn't tip forward or back being I don't have a sulky yet, thats this winters project). Then hooked the sled up to it and off to the garden we went (picking my daughter up along the way, she loves going for rides with her daddy). Rolled one of the mid sized ones I got on to the sled, pulled back the lever and away we went as I was grinin from ear to ear in amazement she was pullin it just fine. Unloaded that one and went back for the BIG guy. Fought a little while to get it on the sled and pulled the lever back, she sat there spining, so I gave her a little push and off we went! It's a good thing the tires are loaded or else that little bugger wouldn't of hardly pulled anything. Wanted to keep hauling the pumpkins around, but I had made enough trips all over the yard already.

This winter I hope to restore her to her former glory, after all she was "The Little Tractor That Could". A guy just doesn't give these little old tractors the credit they deserve sometimes. Hope you all enjoy the pics!

Nate

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.JPG
  • 002.JPG
  • 001.JPG
  • 003.JPG
  • 004.JPG

• Bolens 1000, grand, olcowhand and 4 others have said thanks

#8 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 11:30 PM

I would like to nominate my Suzue grain binder and Chain Machine stationary thrasher.

IMG_20121011_174055.jpg IMG_20121011_174814.jpg

I purchased these two items at a South Dakota State University surplus auction in Brookings, South Dakota.

The two items were used in their grain test plot areas to take harvest samples from the wheat or oats areas. Each test plot areas were bundled using the Suzue Binder. Then each tied bundles were thrashed using the Chain Machine stationary thrasher, the grain was cleaned, and then weighed and teasted.

The Suzue Binder was made in Japan. These units are still in production today. The machine is ran by a Mitsubishi engine. The tires are on 8 inch rims and have deep rice lug style tires. The hardest part I have ran into with this machine is that all of the decals and printing of instructions on the machine is printed in Japanese Script.
IMG_20121011_174344.jpg

In the fall or spring the grain is planted in 12 inch row widths. This binder harvests two rows each pass. The grain enters the front area and at the lower area of the plant is cut by a sicle blade. The grain is then held until enough grain has enter the machine to make the correct size bundle. The unit then engages the needle and knotter assembly which then ties the twine around the grain to make the bundle.

This picture courtesy of NDSU college of North Dakota.
suzuebinder.jpg

IMG_20121011_174211.jpg IMG_20121011_174141.jpg

The small thrasher was made by the Chain Machine Co. of Haven, Kansas. The machine is powered by a Briggs and Stratton 3hp engine. The main operations of the machine is grain enters the upper area and the beater knobs thrash the wheat seed out of the heads. The seed the drops into seed collection cup with is then turned to drop the seed kernals downward. The fan blows air across horizontal to the dropping grain to clean out the chaf and plant stems from the clean grain. The clean grain then exits the machine from the bottom.

IMG_20121011_174838.jpg IMG_20121011_174938.jpg

Edited by timtractor, October 26, 2012 - 11:07 PM.

• grand, olcowhand, Utah Smitty and 6 others have said thanks

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 08:04 PM

Let the voting begin!

Nice variety of tractors and walk behinds. Good luck to everyone.

#10 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 09:13 PM

These choices just seem to get harder and harder, good thing this is only the middle of the month I can read these a bunch of times yet...

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 05:21 PM

Another nice group of tractors! A hard decision again this month.

#12 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,439 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 05:24 AM

I'm #25 :dancingbanana:
  • skunkhome said thank you

#13 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 07:52 PM

Thanks to those who entered their machines! There are a couple of photos that I find suitable for framing or a calender or somethin...NICE !!!
  • Nato77 said thank you

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 09:20 AM

I know I am waiting till the last minute to cast my vote.

#15 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 07:50 PM

What a fantastic bunch of entries. Thank you to all of the folks that posted. It will once again be a very tough decision when voting. Good luck to everyone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: voting, featured tractor