• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 83MALIBU OFFLINE  

83MALIBU

• Member No: 1750
  • 40 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 02:53 PM

I have a John Deere 212 that the engine smokes. I bought a Ford lgt165 that has a good engine but the rearend has a whole in it and the sheetmetal is in very bad shape. Will the 16hp koehler from the Ford fit into the J.D. without major mods? The 212 is in really good shape other than the engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 05:09 PM

There is a chance it will work as JD made a 216 with a 16hp Kohler. One problem may be the type of block/oil pan on the Ford engine. I'm not sure it's the same as the JD. Also the crank may be a different diameter. Those are 2 things that I can think of to check.
  • 83MALIBU said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 06:14 PM

On the JD 214 and Ford 145, the oil pans can be swapped. The crankshafts are the same, but where the clutch bolts up is where you find a problem. Now that I have posted all that, I would say that you can make it fit, but will have to figure out hoe to fit the clutch or try using the clutch on the JD engine. I hope this helps.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 06:15 PM

Is the Ford an open or closed side tractor? The open side has the oil pan as part of the frame, welded in. What are the spec numbers of both engines?

#5 83MALIBU OFFLINE  

83MALIBU

• 40 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 06:47 PM

It is a closed side tractor. It looks like the engine has it's own mounting bracket that bolts to a tube style frame. I will get more info this week.

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 07:53 PM

Pretty sure Ford has the small pan w/out the mount feet and is on platform that mounts to rubber mounts on frame. Think the deere should have the wide pan with outer feet and mounts solid. IF the deere has platform and rubber feet, which later ones probly had, then think you would be good to go. You won't have much luck taking the platform out of Fornd and trying to adapt to deere if that was idea. On pan swaps......Once had a Case with small pan, K engine with big pan. Found holes inside block of big engine that small pan needed to mount into. No threads! I threaded and worked. New problem, the case on big engine had bulges at each side that matched the old pan. Small pan has no bulges and would make the case be open then. Found a fella that made a flat steel pan adapter that matched each block and used gasket from each to block up those bump-outs and seals up fine. That is another option.
  • 83MALIBU, JDBrian and LilysDad have said thanks

#7 83MALIBU OFFLINE  

83MALIBU

• 40 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 05:52 AM

Thank you for all of the info. Looks like I have some disassembly and measuring to do. Looks like I have another winter project on my hands.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 10:23 AM

I almost bought a K301 from a Ford to replace the K321 in my JD314 that is cracked. THe clutch from the Ford had a much smaller pulley -5" versus 7" for the JD. Also the crank was 1 1/8" on the Ford and 30mm or 1.181" on the JD.