Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Electronic Ignition Conversions--anyone Done One?

electronic ignition kohler onan briggs & strattor upgrade conversion ignition conversion

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,641 Thanks
  • 1,742 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 11:56 PM

I changed the drive belt on my Sears GT18 over the weekend... first time, so it took some time. I also took the front shroud off to find out why the starter was howling (the pinion teeth were barely engaging the flywheel).

When I got ready to start it up, no go... cranked fine, but no spark. I opened the point cover on the Onan B48 engine, and tried filing and adjusting the points--cleaning them out with a piece of card stock to ensure no metal particles, etc.

Still no go.

I finally took the points completely off and noticed the points were burned, and the file wasn't even touching them. So, I disassembled the two parts and touched them carefully to my 1" belt sander. Put them back in, made a new gasket for the point base, and VOOM!!! engine fired on first rev...

The points are the newer style that have the Allen adjusting screw, so that is nice, but I really would like to put an electronic ignition on this engine, as well as the assorted Kohler's and B&S engines I have.

I've read some things on the Internet, but wondered if anyone on the forum has done this, and how they did it?

Utah Smitty

#2 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 3,739 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 06:47 AM

I have the parts on order to convert the K301 in my 120. I will post my thoughts once the parts arrive and the reassembly continues.
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#3 Dee OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1853
  • 37 Thanks
  • 59 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 02:11 PM

Lots of information here on the subject

Scroll down to the section on "NOVA II Electronic Transistorized Solid State Ignition Module"

I have done this on old B&S engines and it worked great. I am looking into doing this on a Tecumseh engine (see my post here: http://gardentractor...le/#entry222982)

Edited by Dee, October 16, 2012 - 02:12 PM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#4 leonardr4t8 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9764
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 06:24 PM

This may be a little late, but I've done a conversion with the Kirk Engines Point Saver www.kirkengines.com
This device uses the stock points, but puts an electronic device between the points and the coil. They claim the points will wear out mechanically before they burn out. Basically what it does is keeps the points from bearing the full brunt of the current from the coil. The Onans were really bad about burning out points quickly. It also eliminates the need for the condensor, which can be a wacky part. I've had these on the Kohlers, one is a K 301, one a K241, for about 3 years now, and never worry about ignition probl;ems with them. They've always started right off, cold or hot. The Kirk also offers an aftermarket coil for the Onan engines and one for the Kohlers. This is a real simple upgrade, they suggest that you do replace the points when you do the upgrade, but it's 3 wires and 2 screws, and you're done. You can use the stock coil if you want or do the aftermarket, which is hotter. There's links to the installation manual on his site. Hope this helps.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electronic ignition, kohler, onan, briggs & strattor, upgrade, conversion, ignition conversion