9 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 09:02 PM

I when to the races over the weekend with my uncle with the Rv and brought my Generator along (craftsman 4000 watt 8 hp Tecumseh) i rebuilt the carb and new fuel lines and filter before i left i ran it for 1-2 hours with 6000 + watts ( 30 percent over load ) ran fine the tank is clean we get all set up i started the generator from 1 pm to 6 pm ... no problems shut it down get back from the we get back i started it at 9.30 pm and it quits at 11pm i go out check it all over i open the fuel tank and i see bubbles coming up my guess is that its a filter so i shake it a ton of bubbles come up i shook it for 10 minuets till the bubbles stopped restart it then back to bed then a couple times thru the night it tried to quit is stalled around 4-5 so i was going to try to restart it but said piss on it (the only reason i wanted to start it is to keep the trailer warm it when below 0c ) and i found out the furnace runs of battery so i restart the generator at 8 plug the coffee maker in and the generator starts acting up so i ran out and got a new filter put that on it ran better but it started getting hickups it would be running good then would start sputtering and try to quit then start running again i every thing from the tank to the throttle plate has been cleaned AND well .. is there any thing i am missing i work on alot of small engines and this one has me stumped also the float has been set level .. is it a bad virtrion seat ? .. i just don't know where to look there is plenty of flow from the fuel line if i take the bowl off and hold the float up flush with the bottom of the part where bowl bolts on fuel comes out like crazy i am lost Much longer of this crap and i will repair the engine with a sledge hammer and a new briggs model 19 from the 70s and i will sure tell you i would not like to find this problems in a emergency
What do you say ?
Im lost with this thing
Thanks
Tyler

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 09:14 PM

Tyler, could you post a pic of the fuel line routing and a couple pics of the carb and tank?

#3 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 09:20 PM

Maybe the gas cap not venting properly or maybe it just gets too hot and starts to boil the fuel.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 09:25 PM

I am also thinking the fuel is getting hot & boiling.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 09:40 PM

Yes, I was thinking line close to the jug or exhaust. Maybe even inside the tinwork.

#6 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 09:47 PM

Is it gravity fed or a fuel pump?
Mike

#7 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 10:10 PM

its not boiling it was below 0c and from the venture affect .. as pressure decreases so does temperature if it was much colder out i think the carb would have ice on it i did have the fuel line routed thru the front of the engine to get it away from the heat but my new fuel filter is shorter (the little red b&s one) so i had to route it along the side of the engine and up (how its done from the factory) also i dont think its the cap as i introduced pressure to the fuel tank to force fuel to the carb and it still acted up every thing is clean i didn't pull the emulsion tube out tho i might just take it all apart and dip the carb in boiling lemon juice .. maybe there is a cob web in the fuel line ? i will bet its something simple also its gravity feed

#8 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 10:30 PM

Have you checked to see if it's getting consistent spark while it's acting up? Also, I've heard some fuel filters have too much restriction for gravity feed systems. Don't know if that's true. However, you said there's good fuel flow w/ the bowl off.
Mike

Edited by mla2ofus, October 14, 2012 - 10:31 PM.

#9 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 09:48 AM

A lesson I learned about a Tecumseh is the open part of the needle clip has to be facing the air filter and the dimple on the float bowl is opposite the needle valve. Here is a manual on Tecumseh Carburetor's that might help.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 10:31 AM

You mentioned getting air in the fuel. Is there any chance that excessive vibration due to loose or broken motor mounts or loose mounting bolts on the tank is causing air to be injected into the fuel? That's all I can think of given the other great suggestions above.