#16 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 06:36 PM

During my 29 years as a full-time firefighter, I've seen many & varied wood stove installations. One in particular that I remember was a "barrel stove"; 35 gallon barrel sitting on one of the old-style tubing TV stands, door & flue openings were cut with a chisel (literally), the door was on with two small "butt" hinges laid flat, a small barrel bolt as a door latch, single waled stove pipe to an old dilapidated chimney with loose bricks.

Needless to say, the house was "fully engulfed" when we arrived!

Point being, if you are going to build a wood stove, use the proper materials & do it right! This is not a place to save a buck or two!

In my shop (14' x 24'), which was built (be me) as a woodworking shop & now used for that & tractor repair, I have a jacketed wood heater, 1/2 brick lined. I'm now using my 3rd used stove in 30 years, picked it up off CL for a couple hundred two years ago.

My shop has the door open a lot in the winter as this stove is bigger than I need.

HPIM2289 (Custom).JPG

Just let the fire go out before painting, then fire it back up when the air has cleared! ~~ Lowell

#17 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 07:44 PM

Just think about what is flammable in your shop. Spray paint, carb cleaner, rags, paper, grease, what else?

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 09:16 PM

After just catching up on what was said, maybe a wood stove is not the best solution. In order to put one in, I would have to make more changes then it is worth. Another thing that came to me was the air pressure in tires. If a tire is to close to the stove it would go boom after it heated up. For me to feel ok with just the tire pressure issue I would want tires to be far away, how far I don't know. But anywhere in the garage would be to close as far as I am concerned. The same goes for all pressurized cans and such.

When propane was mentioned, I remembered that I have a heater that goes on top of one of those small propane tanks. It has two burners and has heated the garage before. I guess that I was so excited about a wood stove that I forgot about the heater I have. Whoops!

It has been a few years since it has been used, so I don't even know how long one tank lasts before it runs out of gas in it.

#19 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 09:23 PM

Just think about what is flammable in your shop. Spray paint, carb cleaner, rags, paper, grease, what else?

And... er.... ME! I've burned wood for home heating for a long time, it's second nature. Last year I opened the door a crack getting ready to add a piece of wood exactly as I have done for 16 years with this stove and when I swung the door all the way open and POW! Too much air too quick to just the right situation in the embers.

First, it scared the doo-doo out of the cat. Second it did the same to me as the "tracers" flew past my head. Then it had me hopping around the den looking for more than 6 hotly glowing embers out on the rug and on my favorite chair. The fartherst one was 12' away by the kitchen door which another of the cats showed me.

Point being, as Rosanne Rosannadanna's daddy used to say, "It's always sumpthin'!" The "sumpthin'" is a permanent hole in the seat of my recliner that a small bag of M&M's will fit in (found that one last after noticing the "burning rubber" smell while looking for the rest of 'em) and a renewed sense of what not to do while reloading my woodstove. Glad I wasn't doing something with MEK or acetone in the den at the time!:D
  • LilysDad said thank you

#20 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 10:14 PM

... air pressure in tires. If a tire is to close to the stove it would go boom after it heated up. For me to feel ok with just the tire pressure issue I would want tires to be far away, how far I don't know. But anywhere in the garage would be to close as far as I am concerned. The same goes for all pressurized cans and such.

Ryan,
This is not as big a deal as you think. Tires would almost have to be in contact with the stove to be a problem, although I suppose if you started with a 100# or so… :poke: Same with paint cans and such, use common sense and keep them at least a few feet away from the heat. :firejumper:

When propane was mentioned, I remembered that I have a heater that goes on top of one of those small propane tanks. It has two burners and has heated the garage before. I guess that I was so excited about a wood stove that I forgot about the heater I have. Whoops!

It has been a few years since it has been used, so I don't even know how long one tank lasts before it runs out of gas in it.

The one I have is a double burner with around 25-30,000 btu’s. Not big enough for my garage (24x36) Gas grill size tank should last around 8-12 hours, but this depends on how you use it. Longer if only concerned with taking the chill out. And of course, the less insulation and the colder it is outside will play apart with how warm you will get the area.

#21 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 08:07 AM

I used to have an old furnace from a mobile home( had about a 2' square footprint) that vented heat from the base. It ran off a 100 lbs. propane bottle outside. Now, I have installed natural gas and have one of those wall mounted gas heaters. My wood shop (it only looks like a chicken house) isn't very big either.

#22 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 16, 2012 - 09:49 AM

I use a pellet stove, breckwell big E. The shop is about 2000 sqft and insulated. I dont have the Tstat wired so the feed is just off of a timer. On high, it will burn 2 bags a day at $4 a bag. The first year (2005) I used 350 bags( in the shop and 350 in the house) on med high at night and low medium during the day when I am not home, if it was real cold. Last year I used 46 bags split between the house and the shop. It wasnt that cold last year and I used a small wood stove when I was working in the shop. I also have an electric furnace to help warm it up quicker and as a back up when it get real cold.

The pellet stoves are approved by our insurance company. This one is about 2x2 and 3 foot high. Minimun side clearance is about a foot. My wife uses the one in the sunroom for a TV stand. PITA when filling the hopper, but it only has a small area on the front and sides that are hot to the touch when running.

#23 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 10:59 AM

I have been useing a torpedo heater for a few years now... I feel it is the safest way to go..warm up the garage and if you need to paint you just shut off the flame. The only problem I have with My propane heater is the by-product of propane is water... In the form of moisture in the air.. Moist air will attract to cold metal like a magnet. anything that is cold will collect water droplets.. I store a car on one side and it gets teribly wet on the rims and engine compartment..That being said a small vented heater works great too. Find an old pop-up camper heater if you don't have to big an area to heat..a trailer furnace is a good choise too.. About 2 ft square,, vented and maybe a blower already built in... There are many alt. to wood ,,,,,,,,,,,,and safer too.. Good luck

#24 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 16, 2012 - 11:39 AM

i thought the torpeedo heaters produced CO. I ran one in the garage at an old house we lived in, with stairs to the basement in the back. I had the overhead door cracked a little for ventilation. The next day , my daughters guinea pig in the basement was dead. I thought it was from the CO. I told her it was because she didnt feed it.(CYA)

#25 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 12:24 PM

And... er.... ME! I've burned wood for home heating for a long time, it's second nature. Last year I opened the door a crack getting ready to add a piece of wood exactly as I have done for 16 years with this stove and when I swung the door all the way open and POW! Too much air too quick to just the right situation in the embers.

First, it scared the doo-doo out of the cat. Second it did the same to me as the "tracers" flew past my head. Then it had me hopping around the den looking for more than 6 hotly glowing embers out on the rug and on my favorite chair. The fartherst one was 12' away by the kitchen door which another of the cats showed me.

Point being, as Rosanne Rosannadanna's daddy used to say, "It's always sumpthin'!" The "sumpthin'" is a permanent hole in the seat of my recliner that a small bag of M&M's will fit in (found that one last after noticing the "burning rubber" smell while looking for the rest of 'em) and a renewed sense of what not to do while reloading my woodstove. Glad I wasn't doing something with MEK or acetone in the den at the time! :D

Yeah I think Kurt Russell starred in a movie based on just that effect! BackDraft.