#1 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hey guys, May be going to look at a Massey 14 or 16. I guess what help I am looking for is what to look out for on these models. The good and the bad.

Thanks so much,
Mark

#2 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 11:53 AM

What type of hydro's do these use? Pictures would be great.

Thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 01:37 PM

What type of hydro's do these use? Pictures would be great.

Thanks

Sundstrand model 15 "Inline" series. Can't find a pic handy. Mostly look for the obvious....leaking oil, loose/worn linkages, and extreme whining sounds from the hydro. They have some natural whine, but it shouldn't sound off real easy to hear. Slowing down a lot going uphill is a sign of hydro wear also. They will slow just a little, but not much when encountering a steep slope.
  • MAV said thank you

#4 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 01:44 PM

Sunstrand I beleive.

Posted Image
  • MAV said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 01:45 PM

The usual suspects for GT's include the drivetrain including any driveshaft couplers. These can be expensive and hard to get at times. Also front wheel bearings, tie rod ends and motor mounts can be expensive to replace. Hydro linkage slack and neutral creep can be signs of trouble in the linkage as well. Generally most of us can take having to repair a lot of low cost items but when the expensive stuff is all worn out then the bargain tractor can turn into a not so good deal.
  • rustyoldjunk and MAV have said thanks

#6 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 04:43 AM

The usual suspects for GT's include the drivetrain including any driveshaft couplers. These can be expensive and hard to get at times. Also front wheel bearings, tie rod ends and motor mounts can be expensive to replace. Hydro linkage slack and neutral creep can be signs of trouble in the linkage as well. Generally most of us can take having to repair a lot of low cost items but when the expensive stuff is all worn out then the bargain tractor can turn into a not so good deal.

These hardware items are available off the shelf at larger industrial supply houses, or the cheaper versions on ebay, and the motor mounts are available at your local friendly Green Tractor Place, for a price.

I don't know about any downsides for the MF 14/16, but the hydro/rear end is about the best available for GTs.
  • MAV said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 05:22 AM

No experience with MF 14/16 but speaking from experience with JD300 series tractors the wheel bearings are available for slightly less from Stens but are still pricey at 12$ ea. 1/2" tie rod ends L and R threaded aren't cheap either. Motor mounts , you can get the back ones but the front ones are only available from JD at like 60$ ea. I just wanted to outline that you can be in for some expensive surprises when taking on an unknown to you tractor. MAV is doing the right thing by asking for input. I think all these old tractors have their week spots and hard to source or expensive parts.
  • MAV said thank you

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 06:55 AM

They are both good strong machines, comfortable to ride, easy to work on, and really good looking.

From time to time, you'll see a steering linkage upgrade on ebay. It's worth it. Not that the steering
isn't good, but this kit makes the turning radius that much tighter. I have a 14 that came with the upgrade,
and it steers noticably better than my other one, that's without. Tie rod ends probably need replacing, but
that's to be expected on any GT of that age. Here's a good source for those, and front wheel bearings.
http://www.mfgsupply...mallengine.html

Those 14/16s, are built real tough, except for the plastic dash, and plastic headlight bezel. You can find
replacements on ebay, but they fetch top dollar. If they're not cracked up too bad, they can be repaired.
There are several conversations here about that.

If it has a 3pt hitch on it.....buy it, and call me. LoL The original 3pt for those are hard to come by, but
are out there, and usually expensive. The 3pt off the MF1450 can be adapted, with a bit of effort.

The earlier 14s, didn't have rubber engine mounts. It seems they put them on the 14s, in 1975/76 when the
16's where made with them. If there's been oil or gas leak on them, they'll be shot, and are expensive to replace.
But, they aren't really needed. Filling that void with steel spacers, works just fine.

I like the stick hydro lever, some don't, and have fabbed up and added a foot pedal.

The Kohler engines in them are tough as nails, and if need be, are rebuildable, for not too much money. Lots
of parts on ebay.

The rear end has been covered. Tough units. In one of my service manuals (MF1450 I think) it describes how
to test the hydro. The rear ends where the same, in many of the 1450s.
It says to rev up the engine, drive forward fast, and then throw it into reverse. You are to do this on loose
gravel. If you dig a hole, it's all good.

Steering wheels can be a bugger to get off. Olcowhand makes nice aluminum steering wheel center caps.

If you go to look at them, maybe post some pics, and we could throw another 2 cents worth in.
Good luck.
  • MAV and MH81 have said thanks

#9 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 08:27 AM

It must have been 1976 they added rubber motor mounts to the 14, if they did at all. My 1975 doesn't have them.
  • MAV said thank you

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 03:23 PM

I used to have a late model 76 MF14. It had the foot board extensions, and NO rubber engine mounts.
  • MAV said thank you

#11 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 11:57 AM

I wonder why just the 16 got the rubber mounts, not the 14? Does the K341 cause that much more vibration. I assume the 1200/1450/1650 all use rubber mounts?

#12 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 22, 2012 - 12:01 PM

I wonder why just the 16 got the rubber mounts, not the 14? Does the K341 cause that much more vibration. I assume the 1200/1450/1650 all use rubber mounts?

Those K341's vibrate a lot. I have 2 of them.

#13 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 08:43 PM

Thanks guys for all the replies. I was not able to get the 16 but will know what to be on the lookout if I run across another one.

Thanks again
Mark