57 replies to this topic

#1 quad_man10 OFFLINE  

quad_man10
  • Member No: 13071
  • 4 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 10:05 AM

Hello all,
My name is Lucas. I graduated a Tech High school last year wheir i took electronics classes. Now i am mostly scraping and doing small engine repair to make some money. My latest score is a Ariens Gt20 tractor that has been sitting for years. Just getting the tractor out of a pickup truck was almost impossible. It took me, my 2 brothers, a engine crane, and a floor jack to get it out and up the drive way. This is my first hydraulic tractor. I was told it was running when it went in to storage. So far i know it needs tires, oil change, battery, seat, and other misc work. I have only had it a couple days now, but have not had time to tear in to in to see what it really needs. I will post some pictures when it stops raining out. I also just found manuals for the tractor on the Ariens website. To bad it did not come with any attachments, but i really should get the tractor going before i think about everything you can do with these.
Thanks to all who post. I will be reading this forum all day to try a learn some more about tractors in general.

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 12:27 PM

Congratulations. You got a good heavy duty tractor. Small tractor tires often can be fixed with a tube. Carefully check inside the tire for sharps and for splits in the cords. If it is okay, a tube probably save you a bunch of money. I get my tubes at Tractor Supply because they seem to be cheapest. Pour some carberator cleaner into the gas tank if it is not rusty, to clean the carb. Let it sit a day or two. Check the spark, if its okay, add some gas to the tank and try to start it. Once it runs and works there are many attachments available. I recently saw a plow, cab, snowblower and counter weight on Craigs List in MA. Good Luck.

Edited by boyscout862, October 14, 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 03:42 PM

Lucas,just wanted to say welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 04:16 PM

Welcome to GTT!

#5 quad_man10 OFFLINE  

quad_man10
  • 4 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 04:59 PM

Here are some pics. I have pulled the carb and gave it a cleaning i will also replace the fuel line and clean the gas tank. I also need to short out the seat saftey switch and see if it will crank. I have never tried tubes in a tire, so i will have to look over the tires and see if they will work. Hopefully i will have more time this week to get it going and make a parts list.
Thanks for the welcoming

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo0432.jpg
  • Photo0433.jpg
  • Photo0434.jpg

#6 westco OFFLINE  

westco
  • Member No: 12138
  • 35 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 06:31 PM

You are going to like your GT20 alot, especially with the power steering, the Kohler is pretty thirsty, but the power is massive!

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 08:25 AM

Welcome! Nice Ariens you picked up! The tires might air back up, but watch for bead leaks. Keep us posted on the progress. Help is just a question away. Good luck!

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 10:20 AM

Lucas, welcome. That Ariens doesn't look too bad. I hope you get it going soon. Glad you joined.

#9 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 11:21 AM

Welcome Lucas. I have a GT20 (and a GT17). They are great machines. The safety switches on these can be a little tricky to bypass, and I can't help you much because so often they have been messed with to the point where they don't operate as designed. However, once you get it running, they are great tractors. If you are looking to flip it for some $, you should be able to find at least a mower deck for it. Just make sure the mower deck comes with a PTO shaft/U-joint. That part can cost as much as the deck (if you can get one). If you can find a snow blower too, that makes a great package. The blowers on these machines are awesome. A GT20 in good shape with a deck and a blower is worth $2000 at least (I've seen them go for even more). With the attachments you should be able to get some good money out of it (or make some money clearing driveways).

#10 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,247 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 01:23 PM

Hi Lucas,
Where in Mass are you located? I'd be willing to help out if you're not too far from me. Ariens are great tractors, my father had one and it was a beast!

#11 quad_man10 OFFLINE  

quad_man10
  • 4 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 05:18 PM

I had a little bit of time to work on the tractor today. I pulled the carb and gave it a good cleaning. It did not need much it was in really good shape for how long it was sitting. I also flushed the gas tank and cleaned up the engine a bit. I did have the motor crank for a second or two, but thats it. I am pretty sure its just a bad solenoid. I have extras, but did not have enough time to install it. I also was able to air up the rear tires, but they both have a slow leak. Atleast i will be able to put tubes in them. The fronts are completely destroyed and will have to be replaced. I do not know yet if i should keep it or sell it. My yard and garden is pretty small, but i do like tractors way to much. I guess it depeneds on how much money i need to put in to it to get it going and what attachments i can find for it.

Hey Titus, Im in a small town called Bedford. Thanks for your offer im pretty sure i am like an hour or two away from Exeter, RI. Hopefully i dont need that much help. I will keep you in mind if i get stuck on anything and can't figure it out.

#12 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,247 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 09:10 AM

Not a problem at all, and if you choose to sell it, I may be interested. Just let me know. Thanks!

#13 quad_man10 OFFLINE  

quad_man10
  • 4 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 05:21 PM

I got the solenoid in today. The motor now cranks. I should be able to get it running soon. Most of the electric system appers to be in decent condition with very little modification.
Titus, If i decide to sell it you will be the first to know.

#14 quad_man10 OFFLINE  

quad_man10
  • 4 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 08:16 AM

Hey Enginerd,
After rereading your post i see what you mean about shorting the switch out. You would have to completely bypass time interlock not just short the switch. I also noticed that the tractor has two extra plugs that are capped off. I think they both have a black and yellow wire going to them. Does anyone else have these or know what they are for?
thanks

#15 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hey Enginerd,
After rereading your post i see what you mean about shorting the switch out. You would have to completely bypass time interlock not just short the switch. I also noticed that the tractor has two extra plugs that are capped off. I think they both have a black and yellow wire going to them. Does anyone else have these or know what they are for?
thanks

I'm not sure what they are, but I have them too, although I don't remember the wire color being black/yellow. I've got jumpers all over the place to keep mine running. My PTO switches are hot even with the key off, and if you turn the lights on and then get off the tractor, it dies. Minor inconvenience, and I'm not good are reading wiring diagrams so I just use it as is.