• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 05:34 PM

Looks like a nice table for either welding or just a great worktable to get the projects off of the floor.
  • KennyP said thank you

#17 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,308 Thanks
  • 979 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 05:47 PM

Doesn't mean much, but I have to have casters on my tiny little welding table. I seen it on a forum somewhere, here, there, I don't know, on a lot of forums, but I used my elcheapo engine stand, pulled out the engine bracket, stuck a pipe in the hole, and added a small steal top on a 1" square tube frame. The table rotates to a vertical position so I can roll it off and stuff in it in a small area somewhere. I'm really space limited.

This is the first "real" welding table I've had, it's big enough for most of my projects, and it's SWEET having one.

That'a an excellent idea for someone limited on space!! Good thinkin'!!
Mike
  • KennyP said thank you

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 06:43 PM

I got the table home this evening. Pics tomorrow! The base with casters is separate & the casters are not in working condition. Maybe a trip through the e-tank would help them. Upper portion is only 25" tall. Got to look at it better and do some thinking. But the top is pretty flat and can be taken off and flipped so there would be a flat surface. Bottom portion is heavy galvanized angle.

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 09:05 AM

Here's a few pics. I may just take the casters off for now and set the top section back on for height. The casters swivel yet, but the wheels won't roll. Guess I'll have to fire up the E-tank. They are 4" all metal casters. The top is pretty flat and only tack welded at the perimeter, so will be easy to flip over. One caster mount is bent, going to see about straightening it and maybe brace all on them.
Image001.jpg Image002.jpg

Image003.jpg Image004.jpg

#20 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,495 Thanks
  • 5,022 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 09:26 AM

You said that the top is only 25" off the ground? I don't know how tall you are but I would suggest that you extend the legs so that you can work "weld" standing upright. I did this over 35 years ago and don't regret it for a minute. If you find yourself working on the bench for an extended time being upright is much less tiring.
Casters are an excellent idea and I don't recall ever locking them but I do not have a vise mounted on mine.
Good luck with your project.
  • KennyP said thank you

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 03:51 PM

Well, after much cutting, grinding, & welding I have a good solid table. I couldn't live with it being 25" off the floor, so I improvised. This will do until I can get some 1-1/4" couplings and 6" nipples. I probably won't put the casters back on, I don't like things moving while I am working. I'll get some thin sheet to put on the bottom of the nipples in case I have to move it out on the grass. I did get the casters freed up and I have the lower section to make into something. Both upper and lower sections are heavy material, 1/4" thick.
I did get the cup brush out and went over the top when I got finished. Cleaned it up some, making a smoother surface to work off of. Here's the pics!
Image005.jpg Image006.jpg

Image007.jpg

Any good suggestions for treating the top? I could spray some Rust reformer on it just to keep the rust at bay.

#22 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 05:17 PM

Looks good Kenny. It should serve you well for a long time.
  • KennyP said thank you

#23 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,495 Thanks
  • 5,022 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 05:35 PM

One thing for sure that you will come to appreciate is that on your table you can clamp things along the edge. This is a good option and one you will use many times through the years. You have a good piece of equipment there.
  • KennyP said thank you

#24 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,308 Thanks
  • 979 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 05:37 PM

Should serve you well, Kenny!! As for rust prevention, soak a piece of old towel in some used motor oil, wring it out good and keep it in a coffee can and just give the top a rub w/ it occasionally. Also keep an old glove w/ it so you don't have to wash your hands afterward. If you can come up w/ some old grain drill discs, you could weld them concave side up to make it easier to slide on the grass.
Mike

Had an afterthought,Kenny. My hindsight is always 20/20!! If you decide to go w/ the discs make the welds really hot. That plow steel is hard to get good penetration on. If you can't find discs you could make your own concave plates like I did for skid shoes for my wheeler plow. Cut out the size circle desired, set it on a short piece of pipe slightly smaller than the disc, place the ball of a large ball peen hammer in the center and whack it w/ a sledge hammer.
HTH,
Mike

Edited by mla2ofus, October 16, 2012 - 11:01 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#25 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,495 Thanks
  • 5,022 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 05:57 PM

If you go with the oily rag please keep it away from sparks and in an air tight container to control spontaneous combustion. Something curved on the bottom of the legs sounds like a good idea.
  • KennyP said thank you