Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Power King 1614 Hydraulic Pump Output Psi And Gpm?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CRE1992 OFFLINE  

CRE1992
  • Member No: 11285
  • 28 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 02:58 AM

Hi, I am adding hydraulics to my power king 1614. I bought an entire hydraulic system off of a 1618.

However I was thinking of replacing the single valve with a 3 spool valve for future hydraulics. (Hydraulic angle snow plow, independent front lift for plow and independent rear lift.)

So I need to find out the gpm and psi of the power king pump. Also the valve that is there does anyone know what the relief of the valve is set at?

If someone could please help me out I would most definitely appreciate it.

Thanks,
Charles

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 01:14 PM

Without loader pump is real low volume. Thinking only around 1.8 gpm or such. Pressures are low too. Thinking around 800 is all, but don't have actual specs. the PK yahoo group has that info in their files there. Later PK's did have second lever for rear implements, but was just another valve and cylinder and rockshaft put in for rear, no pump changes. These were the "Plastic Kings" I mean.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 01:18 PM

Typical hydrostatic lift circuits run anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2.5gpm, and pressures ranging from 500 to 750+psi. If you added a dedicated hydraulic pump/reservoir system, you can have all the flow & pressure you want.

#4 CRE1992 OFFLINE  

CRE1992
  • Member No: 11285
  • 28 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 04:05 PM

Typical hydrostatic lift circuits run anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2.5gpm, and pressures ranging from 500 to 750+psi. If you added a dedicated hydraulic pump/reservoir system, you can have all the flow & pressure you want.

It has a dedicated pump, valve, and tank, since it has a manual trans.

I was considering adding a 3 spool valve with a float function for the up and down on the blade.

So I would I have to adjust the relief on the new valve if it is preset at 2000psi if the pump only puts out like 800 psi?

I am only 20, I am very well educated in most mechaincal things, however hydraulics are new to me. So if anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.

I also considered adding a joystick valve with a power beyond.

-Charles

This is the pk I bought the hydraulic system off of:
Posted Image

Edited by CRE1992, October 14, 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 05:39 PM

Most likely your pump has more pressure capacity than 800psi. You still want the pressure relief set lower, as no GT needs that much pressure unless running a wood splitter. My front end loader lifts 500lbs easy with less than 750psi. Is your relief valve adjustable? Many are a preset cartridge.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 08:27 PM

Found on my thumbdrive of PK stuff ONE of the systems, from 1980, which is close to what you got off parts tractor I would think. Shows pump #23-6304 as 1.7 gmp and 9/16" shaft. Can't find stuff on pressure yet.

Found a page in repair manual section about settings. Looks like 1000lbs is the setting.

Attached Thumbnails

• PK Hydro system Fix.jpeg

Edited by glgrumpy, October 14, 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 08:47 PM

The 1977 brochure I have list 1000 psi for a PK , not sure if that's correct year for your tractor , Al

#8 lbuhler OFFLINE  

lbuhler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3535
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 09:25 PM

Cowhand - THANK YOU! I have found the pressure in my manual, I have been building a front end loader but couldn't find the gpm anywhere. I am glad you posted this because I was "thinking" about using the hydrostatic tranny's implement hydraulics and if it didn't have enough GPM then I'd get a hydraulic pump.
So - I figured out my volume for my lift cylinders is 1/2 gal each. They extend 18". At 8 GPM it will take right at 7 seconds to fully extend them. At 2 GM it would take forever. I think I am going to use a chevy power steering pump and build a reservoir of maybe 2 gallons for it. That's the plan anyway. I have the frame welded and the bucket and the bucket attached to the frame. With these cylinders I can get the bucket up to 40" tall. I didn't really care for it to go any higher.
Thanks again for the info.
Ed