#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 7,586 Thanks
  • 7,196 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 12:23 AM

Have the Farm King pretty much torn down now. Pile of parts everywhere. Been blasting and priming some little pieces. Having trouble getting that Main lift shaft for mower removed. It is holding on one side of dash upright too that I would like to get off. Looking more like I'm gonna be leaving it together though. The shaft is huge, kinda like 1-1/2" diam and has height adjuster on one side (side with body part) that should just slip out of the two heavy lift arms between rails. There was a set screw bolt and they have a key. Have oiled the heck out of them, even tried heating tonight, but nothing wants to move. I'm afraid I'll be mushing end of shaft from hammer blows and so I quit trying. Anyone of you guys with teardown process have idea on how to remove? maybe you found it better to leave alone? Just would be nice to get paint off and on the frame and upright and adjuster arm better with it all apart. I would like to blast them too.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,353 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 03:43 PM

Sounds like you are coming along nicely on the 990.

#3 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 273 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 09:29 AM

I got mine to the same point, slightly mushroom the end, got frustrated and it has sat that way for almost 3 years. I really need to get it cleaned up and put back together.

#4 Lost Pup OFFLINE  

Lost Pup

• Member No: 7553
  • 59 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 06:10 AM

Here is a one of my posts over at mytractor forum.
Best way to remove those pins.

The frame teardown was uneventfull until the rockshaft.

The spring pin would not move at all so I used the same method as the steering wheel pin removal. I cleaned one side of the center of the spring pin with a drill bit that would just fit. One end closed form my hammer attempt the first time around. I clipped a 1/8 welding rod and cleaned off the flux. Inserted the rod into the pin as far as it
would go. Hooked up the lead to the rod and the ground clamp to a clean spot on the rockshaft arm. About 140 amps Ac with the camera ready this time. The rod went to bright red in about 15 to 20 seconds. Pulled the rod out and hit the pin with a punch held by vise grips. It moved now on the very first hit and a few more and the pin was out.

I used a flat brass punch to drive the shaft toward the frame to free the arm. Between the frame rails the lift yoke has a set screw on a key in the shaft. Loosen it and drive the yoke off to remove the rockshaft. Note the keyway groove on the frame rail to remove.

The rest of the parts removed withe no trouble. I will start prepping and painting to return it to a roller to continue the buildup.

Pics follow.

Thoughts and Comments Welcome

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Sawdust said thank you

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 7,586 Thanks
  • 7,196 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 10:52 AM

I got the lift link on outside off easy. I'ts those two inside with the set-bolt and key that won't move. I took whole think to a stripper this week. They put in 900* oven to wrinkle off the paints and blast. Told me sometimes the oven s make diff in how items come off. The frame was Bueuatiflly clean, even around the parts still hanging on, but sure wasn't any looser. I ground off my mushroom end, ran a drill down into the pin hole and fit the bar on. Looked good, left that way. Now have frame all painted up, ready to bolt onto axles and set on ground by itself again.

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 7,586 Thanks
  • 7,196 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 09:45 PM

Parts going back on real quick! What a PIA to get into some areas on these. Good think I have a parts book with diagrams, needed those for sure. Memory not as good as it used to be. have lift linkage, steering, drive systems all back in and working as good as can be w/out running. Gonna be working on the outer metal now, making it red, IH 1250 of course. Good stuff! Have engine on bench, no spark again. Briggs kinda hard to figure out. Will be working on that in later months.

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 7,586 Thanks
  • 7,196 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 02:30 PM

Here's couple of shots of the 900 in it's "workspace" in garage. Engine on the table, tin parts scattered all under stuff, just waiting to be "born again"!

Attached Thumbnails

• In process MTD 001.jpg
  • In process MTD 002.jpg

#8 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,748 Thanks
  • 2,935 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 04:01 PM

Looks Nice! Am I seeing correctly that the pull rods for the 3 pt hitch go forward to a rockshaft at the front of the tractor? If so, that is an interesting set up.

Edited by HowardsMF155, October 28, 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 7,586 Thanks
  • 7,196 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 06:54 AM

Yes, up to big cast arms on outside of frame. That is the shaft I couldnt get out. There are two more bigger curved arums in side frame that wouldn't loosen. One is the mount for hydraulic cylinder. Those rods go back to the high link hole on the lift arms. Lift arms are kinda L shaped with little leg sticking out that is the pivot in the axle then. Seems tough, but no swivel balls on any of the ends like big tractors would have.

#10 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,928 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 07:08 AM

Lookin' good. :D You're really moving along on this project.

#11 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 428 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 01:04 PM

Looks great, I am a little curious ,if I understood a previous post ,that the frame was put in a 900 degree oven?!, The temper comes out of steel at 752 degrees.

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 7,586 Thanks
  • 7,196 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 07:54 AM

I asked about that too, wondering if it weakens items. They said no problem. Maybe he was off on the temp thing? Oven was a real big Container about size or shipping container and inside a building pretty open. Didn't "feel" any different to me while working on it and I DID bang on that shaft and arms some more to see it loose and seemed plenty tight and hard to me, ha!