• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 07:03 AM

I ran this thread on a Yahoo group about 8 months ago (before I'd found GTTALK). A couple of the guys there responded but were a little condescending in their replies so I gave up on it. Thought I'd bring it up here.

Has anyone built a 3pt adapter for a tractor with sleeve hitch?
You can find lots of adapters to put sleeve hitch on a 3pt, but not the other way around.
Here is an example of what I was thinking, this is not a finished plan, just a picture to get the idea across.

Posted Image

I left the lift mechanism off the lower picture as I was planning to use the same one as in the top picture. This was one of the main sticking points with the "other guys"... They were wanting to know why I wanted to just drag my equipment around.

One of the "gray" areas in my mind is construction of the (rod / chain / etc ) that goes from the sleeve to the "t" that lifts the arms. I know it needs to be heavy, but I think it'll need to pivot as the sleeve changes perspective to the tractor when lifting. Also, instead of turnbuckles, would chain work for the arm lifts? (adjust by moving links?)

Another variation was to remove the lower sleeve piece & just use the lift mechanism somehow.

Thanks for your thoughts on this - Alan

#2 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,446 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 08:55 AM

Looking at your picture[drawings] I'll tell you this.The top link won't work in that spot.The reason being that it's going to be pivoting way to far back from where the lower 3pth arms pivot.What'll happen rather then have a straight up lift any attachment will tend to want to roll forwards or backwards.So if you have say [eg] 3pth forks on if you have them level on the ground as soon as you lift them up a bit they'll start angling downwards and dump themselves off.Same as any attachment it'll change the angle of it as soon as you lift the arms up.The rivot points on a 3pth have to be at the same spot for the arms and top link.The distance from the 3pth arms pivot point as well as the upper 3rd link pivot point have to be kept the same distance apart on the implements as well or they won't stay perpendicular to each other as your lifting or lowering them.As for chains where the turnbuckles are[that would not be a good idea.If say your using a plow there'd be noway for you to keep it at the proper setting while in the ground.Same as if you had forks on and say had more weight on one side then the other it would want to tip sideways dumping your load.You'll have to make them like there supposed to be made and mounted.Hope this helps and good luck on ypur build.Larry
  • MH81 said thank you

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 09:41 AM

Looking at your picture[drawings] I'll tell you this.The top link won't work in that spot.The reason being that it's going to be pivoting way to far back from where the lower 3pth arms pivot.What'll happen rather then have a straight up lift any attachment will tend to want to roll forwards or backwards.So if you have say [eg] 3pth forks on if you have them level on the ground as soon as you lift them up a bit they'll start angling downwards and dump themselves off.Same as any attachment it'll change the angle of it as soon as you lift the arms up.The rivot points on a 3pth have to be at the same spot for the arms and top link.Larry

I am inclined to agree with you Larry.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, since I drew this, I kinda thought about having to make a bracket on the back of the frame, above the lift lever pivot that would place the 3rd point in the right place. As for the chains, I wasn't thinking about offset loads... duh. I was trying to make it as flexible as possible & forgot my physics.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 01:41 PM

I have an idea, but it will require removal of the sleeve hitch and making a new, longer rock shaft with attachment points for the lower 2 arms. I will see if I can draw it up.

3pointadapt (2).jpg

I only drew one side, but you get the idea. Let me know what you think.

Edited by caseguy, August 07, 2010 - 02:54 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#6 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 10:11 PM

I have an idea, but it will require removal of the sleeve hitch and making a new, longer rock shaft with attachment points for the lower 2 arms. I will see if I can draw it up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4062[/ATTACH]

That looks like it will work and not to complicated to fabricate.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 10:14 PM

Hey Caseguy, When we fabbin' this up? It looks like a winner. Maybe we can use those plows I bought now.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 10:34 PM

Thanks Ducky. What's your schedule like MH81?

#9 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,446 posts

Posted August 08, 2010 - 08:34 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4062[/ATTACH]

Thats the way to do it [good drawing] Larry