• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 09:38 PM

Was in Pocatello today w/ a little time to kill so checked out HF's sidewalk sale. Since my old batt charger died a couple of weeks ago I'd been on the lookout for a replacement. Bought a 6/12v 2 to 55 amp charger that was regular $60 for $30. Has a 90 day in store replacement warranty. I figure I've wasted $30 on worse things so we'll see. Hooked it to the 314 batt, which was already charged. It went up to 7 amps for a few minutes and then the lilttle green "charge complete" light came on so I guess it works anyway. Whenever I buy something from HF I always tell myself to remember what I paid for it so maybe I won't get po'd when it breaks or the smoke leaks out of it. To me everything they sell is a crapshoot.
I have a 1/4" air die grinder I bought from them over 20 yrs ago, have worked the poop out of it and it's still as good as the day I bought it. Go figger!!
Mike

#2 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 10:10 PM

I like HF, and for the price you can't beat them. Some of the stuff I get there isn't worth a flip, but some of it works great. I have a little blast cabinet I got there not to long ago, and I love it. I also picked up a little wire feed welder for $99 for my mobile repair van, and I've used the heck out of it, and its still working. They are a gamble, but when your cheap like me, its a risk I'll take. At least on some things. :thumbs:

Matt

#3 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 10:24 PM

Get the extended warranty...In a yr or so you'll need it...but hey for an extra 4 or 5 bucks...hard to beat...GL

Hard to beat those sale prices...

Edited by NutCASE, October 12, 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#4 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 11:17 PM

I have that same charger. I run my E tank on it. Seems to work pretty good. It takes a bit longer to boost a vehicle than my old expensive one did, but not a bad trade off.

#5 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 06:30 AM

I have bought quite a few things there and a crapshoot is right. I have a bench top drill press from them that has enough power to drill wood if you are lucky. I have a motor ready for a repower. It will be nice to have the power it should, but I should not complain for 59 bucks. I will continue to shop there. I have many great performing tools from them also. Prices are hard to beat and they back thier products well.

Geno

#6 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 06:42 AM

Big HF fan here. Wrenches and Sockets seem to be of exceptional quality given the price..
I carry one of the cheap clamp on amp meters with me that is used everyday and works great for me.

The only thing that is disappointing is anything with rubber on it, the rubber seems to crack and fall apart in less than a year.
Last purchase was a ceramic knife,,, it's pretty sharp !!!

#7 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 07:20 AM

I've purchased 2 floor jacks from them and have been happy with them so far,I used coupons to buy them both and got great deals on them.I bought the 2yr. replacement warranty on both,was surprised when the salesgirl advised me to wait until my warranty's were about to expire and find some fault with them and bring them in for a new one at which time I could purchase another 2yr warranty extension.Anybody else got this advice there?

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 10:26 AM

I have found like some have said HF is a crapshoot but I have also found that they stand behind everything they sell. Before we had a store kind of close I would order on line and more then once I received what I ordered and the box be torn up pretty bad and some if not all the hardware was missing. Shoot an email to HF and in a couple days I have my hardware.

Trying to get a small business off the ground, having HF has been a blessing for me.

Arti; I have found anything made in China that has rubber on it, the rubber does not last any length of time. I've been working on a Baja Motorcycle for our son's friend and I can watch the rubber deteriorate to the point part's fall off the bike.

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 04:32 PM

As stated before, at the price we pay for stuff at HF, we really can't complain!
I do wish they still sold the tire changer with the motorcycle wheel/tire adapter....

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 05:07 PM

As stated before, at the price we pay for stuff at HF, we really can't complain!
I do wish they still sold the tire changer with the motorcycle wheel/tire adapter....

I'm glad I bought mine when I did. :thumbs:

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 05:08 PM

I have bought things there that have held up well. I have a set of Pittsburgh metric and SAE wrenches that came wrapped up in a pouch that holds each wrench and has riveted holes for hanging. It hangs on the barn wall still. There are very few things there I won't try.

I could have done without the electric fly swatter, but it's still fun.

#12 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 05:19 PM

I could have done without the electric fly swatter, but it's still fun.

I love mine! Hitting those Japanese hornet and sending them flying into the wall is so much fun.

#13 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 06:09 PM

I have never had any luck with any of their cordless products. I have 4 jacks from Hf. I really love the 20 ton hydraulic/air jack. I really love that got it discounted to $44.

Their wrenches can be hit and miss with their tolerances, but are great if you have the need to bend one to get to that one weirdly placed bolt.

Hammers with a wooden handle - save your money and go buy a good one. The wooden ones always break.

Air tools are actually pretty good. I have a bunch of them and have no complaints. I really like the stubby 3/8 air ratchet. Makes a long day of wrench spinning go by faster.

#14 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 09:39 PM

Wow, I'm going to have to start rethinking my anti-Chinese (Asian) tool mindset now! They're sounding better and better all the time. HF is OK now, while Walmart is still a booo? I don't really get it anymore. Looks like the winds of time are blurring the lines in the sand.:D

#15 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 05:08 PM

I am a HF regular and I've had great luck with all their stuff. I was against em at first but my son about 10 yrs ago graduated from HS he wanted 'a bunch' of tools for garduation. So, I went to HF and bought him the 301 piece of tools and a 'bunch' of other stuff. He still has it, all the sockets are in good order and all the equipment still works. I myself have had to 'dip' when I didn't have a specific torx bit or hex bit...Whole heartedly recommend that set. now on sale for $159. Currently on my 'radar' is the 'hydraulic hole punch' and hydraulic puller". Their good boxes and carts are of great quality. The electric die grinders etc...never fail. In fact, I kinda like HF....
  • bgkid2966 said thank you