7 replies to this topic

#1 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 06:27 PM

Hi all.
The 2013 gardens will be more mechanized than any of my 5 previous gardens. I have added a fleet of Garden tractors with a moldboard plow, Brinly cultivator, and spring tooth harrows. I plan to make a tool bar with hilling discs for the potatoes.
I'm thinking of growing bush beans, beets, peanuts,carrots, and potatoes in rows for cultivation.

Any tips on laying it out? Single or double rows? How far apart on my rows? If I space them one tractor width apart, I can straddle my crops. But, if I make them a little farther apart, I can run between the rows when the plants get too tall to drive over.

What other crops do you grow with your tractor's help, or mechanical cultivation?

#2 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 07:00 PM

Row-making teeth behind tractor tire. Single rows are easier to maintain I found. Row width depends on the row-maker. All row crops, beans, corn and onions mostly are cultivated. I'm a larger operator then most guys but I'll give ya a look at my operation.
Some things in this will show cultivating.
http://gardentractor...ys-2012-garden/
Here's row-making

Here's a better look at the row maker.
Posted Image

• Alc said thank you

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 07:07 PM

Good questions. Personally, I have a machine that will just fit between a standard 3 ft row. I would like to use a 4 wheel machine, but it has an even wider stance. My observation is that it isn't long before a regular garden tractor is knocking over the crops, and it is a long time between then and harvest. I do try to use double rows, typically 12-18 inches separation, then a full 36 where I can cultivate mechanically. I cultivate the narrower rows with a single wheel plow, then pull weeds in the row by hand. As long as I stay on top of the weeds, it works OK.
  • ducky and Alc have said thanks

#4 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. I want to add that I'm using 4 wheeled tractors, Cub Cadets and a Ford.

#5 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 08:54 PM

JdGuy, your row maker looks like something I can make. How deep of a furrow do you make with them? Then what? Do you drop seeds and then cover them, or do you leave the furrow as a low spot to collect water and to identify the row? Do you plant by machine or by hand?
Thanks
  • JDGuy445 said thank you

#6 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 12:21 AM

I have plenty of garden room and I use a real precise method of laying out my single rows. It's my hoe!!! from blade to tip is about 4 feet and I've found that gives me room to drive any of my GT's between the rows even at the peek of growing season. Looks kind of sparse at first, but later in the season I'm always glad that I set them that far apart. I'm going to experiment with my Speedex 1631. It has the 3-point toolbar and has what's needed to make the row maker mentioned above. Should be pretty easy!

Everything I grow gets tended with my GT's, along with hillers, furrowers, and cultivators. I've mentioned this before, but one of my favorite implements is my Agri-Fab sleeve hitch cultivator.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sleeve-Hitch-Row-Crop-Cultivator.gif

Edited by nra1ifer, October 13, 2012 - 12:22 AM.

• SamMC said thank you

#7 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 05:21 PM

JdGuy, your row maker looks like something I can make. How deep of a furrow do you make with them? Then what? Do you drop seeds and then cover them, or do you leave the furrow as a low spot to collect water and to identify the row? Do you plant by machine or by hand?
Thanks

This here will make a furrow 8 inches deep. But we only got down about 4 inches. We then drop the appropriate seed in by hand and cover them back up with a hoe.

#8 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 05:57 AM

I've been reading this thread to pick up some pointers . Most of what I grow will be in wide rows 3' layed out like you would for a raised bed but I'll be going back to single rows for the potatoes at least . How wide do you guys leave for potatoes ? I'm guessing 3' for them too so they can be hilled ? Thanks , Al