14 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 03:17 PM

I have been planning to sew a grass cover crop on my garden.
The new tiller came in yesterday and I should have it ready to go tomorrow.
We are expecting rain tomorrow too. Ground in a normal year would not freeze til late November or early December (thats not to say anything has been normal this year).
Do you think it would be too late to sew a pasture mix this fall?
The mix I'm looking at is 70% Tall Fescue.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 12, 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 03:22 PM

If you keep enough moisture, it may do ok, but I'd add some winter rye in the mix as it comes up quick & would provide cover while the young fescue comes along.
  • JD DANNELS said thank you

#3 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 04:22 PM

We planted rye this year and it comes up really quick. My reccomendation is find a small spring harrow if possible. Broadcast the seed and then run it over with the spring harrow. It helps to come up. Seeing your in Iowa you should be good for a bit. But I would also add something else in like rye.

Edited by JDGuy445, October 12, 2012 - 04:22 PM.

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 06:42 PM

I was always told that you sow grass in months that have an "R" in them..October, November, etc
  • JD DANNELS and IamSherwood have said thanks

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 09:05 PM

I was always told that you sow grass in months that have an "R" in them..October, November, etc

Hmm I wonder if there is anything that R rule does not apply to? I had not heard that one, but have known for a long time you could harvest fur bearers in months with an
R( course that started a long time before Game Laws).
We are going to give it a go. I'll finish assembling the tiller tomorrow and as soon as it is dry enough I'll till and plant.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 12, 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 09:11 PM

We planted rye this year and it comes up really quick. My reccomendation is find a small spring harrow if possible. Broadcast the seed and then run it over with the spring harrow. It helps to come up. Seeing your in Iowa you should be good for a bit. But I would also add something else in like rye.

I don't have a spring tooth harrow, but have 3 4ft sections of spike tooth harrow. These are old and were probably used with horses I can adjust the depth .. Since my tractor has a wheel width of 47 3/4" so the 4 ft harrow works well. I know that because after I graded my lane I pulled one section weighted ot see if I could pull up some gravel out of the hard pack.that did not work at all badly. Dad had some of these and we seeded pastures and sowed oats with them when I was a kid. So I'm sure it will work.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 12, 2012 - 09:14 PM.

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 09:12 PM

If you cover it with straw, it will have a chance. Not so much as an insulator, but to keep moisture trapped in contact with the seed/plant.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 09:16 PM

With winter rye, it comes up so fast that it will act as a cover & hold moisture. Neighbors down the road just worked their yard real fine, then sowed grass. Came a gully washer & ruined the yard work, washing it bad. This time he smoothed the ground & sowed winter rye along with the grass. in a week he had 4" tall rye!

#9 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 09:55 PM

A cultipacker always worked the best in this area before and after seeding , anytime of the year ( a reasonable time of year ). We had a local Colonel " Mac" who could plant rye or wheat in early Nov and make it grow. He flew Kissinger into N. Vietnam in 73 and later became AF 1 pilot . The ground would do things for him that most wouldn't try. Add: actually it is the culti-mulcher with springteeth that is used in field work. But if you could do something equivalent the results are the same.
  • Alc said thank you

#10 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 07:23 AM

I don't have a spring tooth harrow, but have 3 4ft sections of spike tooth harrow. These are old and were probably used with horses I can adjust the depth .. Since my tractor has a wheel width of 47 3/4" so the 4 ft harrow works well. I know that because after I graded my lane I pulled one section weighted ot see if I could pull up some gravel out of the hard pack.that did not work at all badly. Dad had some of these and we seeded pastures and sowed oats with them when I was a kid. So I'm sure it will work.

That should help. The rye will come up even faster with that. Also do you know if you can get some fertilizer somewhere?

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 07:43 AM

The fellow that I bought the DB walkbehind said when he planted his cover crop he used the spike tooth harrow , then broadcasted the seeds and went over with a yard rake upside down to fill the little trenches with seeds ( I think a board pulled behind a tractor ona large scale would work ) made it look like the seeds where drilled .I got a DB harrow packer with it but he didn't say he used that too or not . I used it instead of raking when I did the cover crop in one section of the garden , hope to finish planting the cover crop this week . Al

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 01:00 PM

That should help. The rye will come up even faster with that. Also do you know if you can get some fertilizer somewhere?

Yes, there are 3 bags of miracle grow fertilizer out in the shed.
Dad had done some seeding over at the church about 2 yrs ago and Walmart was closing it out due to season change.
He had bought 6 bags for $1 each and bought more than he needed. So he gave me the extra.

#13 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 07:38 PM

I was told to sow, just before the first snowfall. Holds the moisture, and keeps the birds away.
I'm going to give it a try this year, with some triple mix.
  • Team_Green said thank you

#14 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 05:43 PM

I was told to sow, just before the first snowfall. Holds the moisture, and keeps the birds away.
I'm going to give it a try this year, with some triple mix.

Iver heard the same thing..

#15 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • Member No: 21308
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 12:04 PM

If you keep enough moisture, it may do ok, but I'd add some winter rye in the mix as it comes up quick & would provide cover while the young fescue comes along.

Add the winter rye, will germinate quicker. Let the rye grow a bit before adding the fescue seed.

In addition to providing cover, will hold the fescue seed in place. Great Best time of the year to spread grass seed.  :thumbs:

Edited by Tankman, January 03, 2013 - 12:07 PM.