- - - - -

Tarter Industries?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 07:59 AM

Went out to Theisens(Farm Store simular to Tractor Supply) last night and picked up my new 48" gear driven Tiller. I had ordered a tiller and thought it was a King Kutter(pictures on their site were of King Kutter), which I had read lots of good reviews on.
Well this one is made by Tarter Industries in Kentucky.
I went ahead and took it, though thought I was misled a bit the price was right.
Anyone have any reviews on their equipment?

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 12, 2012 - 08:01 AM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,240 Thanks
  • 29,695 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 08:05 AM

Tarter gate company is about 50 miles from me, but I had NO idea they had branched out like they have! Many of their gates hang on my posts here. No matter if your tiller is great quality, you WERE misled by their ads for sure.

Does this look like yours?

King Kutter below:

#3 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 08:25 AM

I drive by there facilities and have never seen and equipment. There gates are hanging here to.

Sent from my HTC One X

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 08:28 AM

Yes the first picture is a dead ringer for the one sitting in my garage(though it may be wider?). I could have bought the 60" for $100 more but thought with the way I was planning to use it the 48" would be a better fit.
On the surface it looks to be a solid machine(591 lbs). I just have not heard anyone review them for reliablity.The picture they showed me was of a King Kutter in the Cat Yellow paint.

I still have to get it out of the pipe Rack and assemble the lift arms and fill the gearboxes.
They are predicting severe Thunderstorms starting tonight and about 2" of much needed rain tomorrow.
So I have some time to put it together.

Ha! Getting it home was an adventure.The Tires on my trailer were over 30 yrs old and badly dry rotted.
I had replaced 1 when I ordered the tiller. They only had one in stock so I had them order another and picked it up with the tiller.
I blew out the other one with the tiller on the trailer about 3 miles from home. So I had to call the wife to take me home to get my Jack and tire wrench. Go back change the tire and before I could get home.
Then unloading was a problem since I have yet to get a boom pole for the Ford. I stacked 4x4's levered two legs of the rack onto them. Put my jack under the trailer frame, unhitched the trailer to lower the other end.
Then levered to remove the 4X4's one at a time without upsetting the whole mess. Then levered it into the garage. Today my dad is trying to borrow an engine hoist to lift it out of the pipe rack.

A litle more research is making me feel better. I have discovered that Tractor Supply has sold both The King Kutter and Tarter as their brand "Country Line" and reviews while mixed are favorable.

As a Customer Service Rep for 26 yrs, I still question the Bait & Switch practice and Customers are buying a "Pig in a Poke"?

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 12, 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#5 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 06:35 PM

Here's the "three point" page from Tarter's website, looks interesting!