Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Gravely Identification

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 2,398 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 12:01 PM

Can anyone help me ID this machine? Also, some range of worth - non-running but engine turns freely.

Attached Thumbnails

• Gravely.jpg
  • Gravely2.jpg

#2 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 210 Thanks
  • 361 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 12:19 PM

The model is either a L or a LI.
It is missing the slant hood for the front.

Gravely-Model-L.jpg

The value depends on what attachments come with it. I see it has the front rotary mower and the dual wheels.

#3 gravely-power OFFLINE  

gravely-power
  • Banned
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10766
  • 811 Thanks
  • 1,067 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 12:23 PM

It's a Gravely model L 7.6 HP. It has an added on quick hitch adapter, which is installed wrong, on the front advance casting.
The serial should be on the left side of the advance casting. (the nose)
The dual wheel spacers are worth $75-$100. It's hard to tell, but the inner tires look to be solid rubber. If so another $50-$75.
It has a newer style mower. $50-$75.
A good clean carb is worth $25-$50.
This site will help with the year.

http://oldgravelys.net/

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4243
  • 2,405 Thanks
  • 2,780 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 12:25 PM

In the first picture, on the chassis between the wheel and the mower deck is what appears to be the serial number tag. That should be able to help you here:
http://www.gravelyya...al_numbersl.htm
and there is a link to the serial number chart. From the location of the serial tag, and the location and type of the air filter, I would tentatively say it is a Model C. Is the forward/reverse lever use the same bolt on the handlebar as the High/Low lever? I can't tell from the pictures. Model C's were produced starting around 1966 until Gravely retired the Gravely engine in 1976.
From a user's standpoint, you should have the most refined engine Gravely ever made, with high pressure full flow oil filtration. If it matters, that engine SHOULD be rated at 7.6 horse power, compared to the previous model's 6.6 hp and the very first model's 5 hp. These differences rarely seem to matter in practical daily use.
Price wise, I'd start around 400, but it all depends.

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4243
  • 2,405 Thanks
  • 2,780 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 12:34 PM

The model is either a L or a LI.
It is missing the slant hood for the front.

Gravely-Model-L.jpg

The value depends on what attachments come with it. I see it has the front rotary mower and the dual wheels.

The correct hood for a Model C is the full curved one that covers the gas tank. This is a picture of my C-8. Note the position of the air cleaner, also note how the two levers on the right handlebar are staggered and not using the same bolt. It is an 8 speed because there is a third handle mounted on the right handlebar down by the gas tank, but it can't be seen in this picture.

Hill job.jpg

#6 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 2,398 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for the great feedback y'all... I missed out on this one. He listed it yesterday mid-day and sold it yesterday evening for $250. I'm learning more and more so that the next time a deal comes up I can be prepared.