24 replies to this topic

#16 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:31 PM

Yeah, let's get this done. It's likely just worn the same way this one was. And I'll show you how to set the adjustment if I can.

#17 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 05:11 PM

So today we met to see how the adjustment plates and drive lever rod looked. The plates were about perfect. The drive lever rod was notched out some so re-faced it and ground it round. One more thing occured to me after you left. Here's the things to check.

1) you said it wore out belts quickly so something is wrong. Are you sure that you have the belts running between the guide rods. The guide rods are between the engine output shaft and the big 3-pulley driveshaft. I'd think it would wear out the belts very fast if you had either side running on the outside of the guides... meaning the skinny edge of the belt is going over the little steel rod.

2) Adjust the plates around the drive rod.

3) Check to see if the bushing at the end of the driveshart doesn't have a lot of play.

4) Check to see that the engine drive and the driveshaft pulleys are aligned when you have it locked in forward drive.

5) Make sure engine mounts are tight.

6) Generally just look for slop in any of the moving parts of the driveline. Different things having a little play can all add up to a lot of play and not enough movement to tension the belts right.

Good luck.

#18 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 07:50 AM

well when i got home to checked for all that. I got some back and forth movement on the drive shaft. The pulleys are allinged, I dont have the belt guide on, my belt is still not tight enough. I can now make it up hills but if i try to pull anything it slips. Might just just get new belt and start over with adjustments

#19 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 08:47 AM

hmmm. What about oil on either of the pulleys? If not, then maybe try the 33 with the adjustments moved in the direction opposite of what we talked about to make them as loose as possible.

Also, if all else fails... taking the bolt out of the end of the PTO will allow you to take the reverse rubber off without taking off the engine pulley... You'd definitely be able to get a smaller belt on then.

#20 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 07:44 AM

Ya will have to try that i have a 33 laying around somewhere

#21 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 09:46 PM

Well, what's the story, dory? You still got belt slip. If so, it's about time to get a look at this thing all together. I wasn't convinced that that little bit of wear on the drive lever would cause a lot of slip.

#22 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 08:38 AM

yeah it slips a ton still. got frustrated and parked it. are u free this week sometime

#23 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 10:38 PM

Sent a pm

#24 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 07:28 PM

Just a shot in the dark but by any chance is the engine pulley is worn to the point that the belt is riding on the bottom of the pulley and the pulley is not contacting the sides of the belt? That will definitely cause slipping plus cause extreme belt wear from overheating.

Edited by GTTinkerer, December 05, 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#25 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 09:38 AM

Just a shot in the dark but by any chance is the engine pulley is worn to the point that the belt is riding on the bottom of the pulley and the pulley is not contacting the sides of the belt? That will definitely cause slipping plus cause extreme belt wear from overheating.

u might be on to something there. im goin to go look