28 replies to this topic

#16 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 07:34 AM

I hope it happens. The strong will survive the weak will perish. Hopefully it will reset society. The waste and stupidness of today is ridiculous.

Sent from my HTC One X

#17 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 06:33 PM

:smilewink: i have a couple things saved up.. my wife doesn't have a key to "that room" :D

#18 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 06:59 PM

Technology was going to end on 12/31/1999 when all the computers were going to stop working. Anyone remember that?
  • johndeereelfman, Michiganmobileman, Team_Green and 1 other said thanks

#19 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 07:07 PM

Don't need to go back that far Harold lol they were also called pilgrims, or " the white man" ..

(Cackle, cackle :D) Dang, I forgot about the dreaded... "Us".:D Yup, "smoke poles" and cheap whisky and three card Monte trading... Yeah, we wus da "New Land Scumbags" alright and got away with it right up to today!

I'd be OK if society resets and forgets about "texting while driving" and cars playing rap music so loud you can hear 'em on the next block. More I think about it, I could go out there and start some "resetting" myself! :D

#20 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 06:44 PM

:worshippy1: :thank_you:

More I think about it, I could go out there and start some "resetting" myself! :D

#21 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 10:40 AM

I think practical good ole farm boys and girls will be able to survive most anything. The city dwellers and suburbanites will not have much to sustain themselves. I think those in cities and suburbs that have not prepared will be the rioting hordes and travelling marauders. If the farmers can stave off the thieves or band with enough decent folk, they could survive.

I agree with Daniel and a few others. If there is a big disaster, I want to go in the first waves. Starving to death holding off crazed and starving hordes would not be my first choice.

That is unless Harold gets rid of enough loud rappers and those who text while driving. (Harold, I was certainly sitting at my desk writing this, you won't see tapatalk anywhere in my post.)

#22 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 05:47 PM

That is unless Harold gets rid of enough loud rappers and those who text while driving. (Harold, I was certainly sitting at my desk writing this, you won't see tapatalk anywhere in my post.)

I'm glad you don't have a "tapatalk" anywhere near you... The mere fact you know what one of those things are already makes you suspect in my book!:D
  • daytime dave and LilysDad have said thanks

#23 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 08:26 PM

Next time you meet a Viking warrior who ate your plow horse and burned the thatch off your roof thank him for Western Europe's society (in a round about way of course!). :D

Harold, you just have an incredable way with words. Love it!

"After each and every one of those onslaughts a "New And Brighter Future" was born out of it."
Yes, sir! Brighter Future!!! I've read the Good Book :reading_the_manual: and I'm all for the Brighter Future!

#24 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 08:46 PM

Why does this thread remind me of a Black Sabbath song ? Lol

I can't remember the name though

#25 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 08:57 PM

The question is.. Do you board your windows up from the inside or the outside??? Are your walls lined with something that will stop a 223 shell at the very least?? Where will you hide when they light your house on fire?

#26 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 09:18 PM

I'm kind of the opinion that our society collapsed the day they quit letting me shoot pool with a smoke in my mouth. My game's been off ever since.

The reality is our society will collapse one day...might be next week, might be centuries from now. Every other society has collapsed though, so ours will too. Odd thing though, every collapse has cleared the way for a better society to develop. Living through a collapse is bad, coming along after it generally works out pretty well.

As for being prepared...it's kind of hard to be exact about these things. I think most people on this site would do pretty well though. We tend to know how to plant things, how to build things, and how to fix things. We also know how to read things.

If things go bad, the public library is likely the first place to go. Clear out the how-to section...you don't know what you'll need to know.

Really the only other thing is keeping your head down until you know what's what. I have two or three places I can go where there aren't many people, the soil is fertile, and you can shoot some meat. The real key is that there aren't many people though. Worrying about having to defend yourself and your stuff goes way down if there are more resources than people.
  • LilysDad said thank you

#27 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 08:29 AM

The reality is our society will collapse one day...might be next week, might be centuries from now.

We came pretty close a few years ago. When we go broke to the point that our government is bankrupt, we're done. The vast majority of us work for a government(federal, state, local) in some way, even if it is as a supplier. When we don't get our paycheck, then what?
When the military and police don't get their pay check.... ? Oh! and you preppers? How well are you armed against a military run amok, hmmmh?

Odd thing though, every collapse has cleared the way for a better society to develop. Living through a collapse is bad, coming along after it generally works out pretty well.

Generally, that better society comes in from somewhere else. If it goes bust this time, I beleive the whole world will go bust. We are simply too interconnected now, financially, socially, materially, et al.
  • Team_Green said thank you

#28 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 09:05 AM

Oh! and you preppers? How well are you armed against a military run amok, hmmmh?

It won't be a military if they are not paid to play those games. All those boys and girls will be heading home to defend their family's to defend their home.

Sure looks like a financial collapse is on it's way.. Who really knows..

#29 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 08:09 PM

Europe was in pretty much total financial collapse after WWII. The US, and to a lesser extent Canada and Australia, pulled their butts out of the fire. That wasn't because we're all such nice people, it's because we needed the markets. There are other countries that need the markets now...China, Canada (again), a good chunk of South America and Asia. It's not that it will be an easy ride...Europe didn't fully recover until the '70s or '80s...but they got through it.

My guess is that the end of this society will be a combination of disease, environmental collapse, and old-fashioned hubris. That's what brought down the Roman Empire, weakened the Mayan and Inca Empires so they were vulnerable to invasion, and played a roll in the fall Egypt and Greece.

It doesn't really matter what the collapse is though, if you have the ability to be self-sufficient you have the ability to get through it.