• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 10:14 PM

I've been tossing around the idea of a Hobart 180 running off my Generac 7500w. gasoline generator. My new 3 bay shop won't have electric for a while (maybe a loooong while!:D). I'm also considering a Lincoln "tombstone", what would be the size of that considering the power source?

#2 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 11:08 PM

Don't know enough about it, but I'd have a qualified shop check the voltage, frequency and whatever else of the generac to be sure the voltage is clean enough for the electronics in the mig. Some of this electronic stuff is sensitive to these things.
For the tombstone just multiply the volts(240) times the max amps on the spec. plate. This will tell you how many watts it will pull if it's turned all the way up which you probably won't do. The tombstone doesn't care as long as voltage is right and there is enough amps available.
You probably already know all this, Harold. If so disregard it.
Mike

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 10:22 AM

Provided the generator will handle it there should be no problem. Years ago when I worked maintaince at the factory, We had a nice little Miller portable welder powered by a Kohler motor We welded averything from sheet metal to 12" & 14"structural I beams with it.. That Thing was handy as pockets on a T Shirt!

#4 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 10:38 AM

I've run my FirePower 140 MIG of a generator, an OLD generator ( Niagra ) and it seemed to handle it just fine. The electronics in the FP are not too sophisticated, so I wasn't worried at all. However, I dunno about a Hobart 180 and whether or not that needs real clean power.

As Mike said, a Tombstone ain't gonna mind if things are a bit over/ under voltage wise.

My Thermodyne Fabricator MIG 251 is kinda picky, and I know the shop power is down on voltage when the arc is not acting like it should. I got frustrated one night while welding some bigger stuff, and sure enough, X phase was at 205 V, and Y was at 207 ish. Tested in the house panel , sure enough, same thing. Seems to happen late in in the evening during power grid changes .
Posted Image

Is your generator power " clean " enough to run computers and stuff?

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 10:42 AM

That generator will easily handle either a Tombstone or the 180 MIG. The Generac should put out clean power for the Hobart.

#6 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 11:31 AM

That generator will easily handle either a Tombstone or the 180 MIG. The Generac should put out clean power for the Hobart.

I agree here. I have a Generac 5000 that I have used with a Lincoln 185 and my Miller 210. Works fine. I have my house set up to use the Generac as backup power and have had no issues there either, other than I have not turned on the computer using the generator. I know a company that ran a Lincoln 110 volt mig welder off a generator all day long on certain job sites welding bonding straps on hog equipment. I say to run with it.

#7 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 12:21 AM

Sounds good! I DID try my computer off the Generac the last time we were out of power (Just to get my forum fixes) and noticed the UPS (Cyberpower 1500AVR) didn't like the genny juice. It kept switching to battery power and back to the line.

"You probably already know all this, Harold. If so disregard it."
Mike

I used to "know" a bunch of welding stuff 20 years ago when I sold off my O/A outfits and Lincoln stuff and started "Life #2". Now I want to get back into small fab again when I get to the new barn/shop and relearn some of my old skills and some new ones. I used to be a decent O/A welder/brazer/buzzboxer and would like to give TIG a try. Seems like TIG skills might be some parallel to gas welding technique. Now, if I could just get my old "steel pile" back...!:D

#8 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 02:35 AM

Sounds good! I DID try my computer off the Generac the last time we were out of power (Just to get my forum fixes) and noticed the UPS (Cyberpower 1500AVR) didn't like the genny juice. It kept switching to battery power and back to the line.

"You probably already know all this, Harold. If so disregard it."
Mike

I used to "know" a bunch of welding stuff 20 years ago when I sold off my O/A outfits and Lincoln stuff and started "Life #2". Now I want to get back into small fab again when I get to the new barn/shop and relearn some of my old skills and some new ones. I used to be a decent O/A welder/brazer/buzzboxer and would like to give TIG a try. Seems like TIG skills might be some parallel to gas welding technique. Now, if I could just get my old "steel pile" back...! :D

Stop by any time.. you can take all the steel a pickup can haul... PLEASE... hahahaha

#9 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:47 PM

Stop by any time.. you can take all the steel a pickup can haul... PLEASE... hahahaha

So how many minutes are you from here? I'd be hiring Wifey and her rig for the run?:D

#10 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 05:45 AM

lol well to central Ohio it's 28 ish hours.. :smilewink:

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 05:40 AM

I think a generator should handle that MIG with no trouble.

#12 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 05:42 PM

Well, it's in the lawyers "capable" hands now and we're a-waitin'!:D I talked to the seller and he's willing to part with his 9500w 2yo generator. We're going to "talk" about that and some other stuff he has. As I always say, "Two generators are better than one.", especially if you don't have to move the shop one down to the house in an outage. Looks like I'll be setting up my own little power company for the barn complete with outdoor "power shed" to keep the noise down. (I must be getting old, I don't like noise near as much as I used to... Huh, what's that, eh?:D

I did decide not to encumber myself with his Kubota diesel AWS or the Wheel Horse 310-8 although that one is in pretty nice shape. I'll have enough "stuff" to play with without more old/new stuff.:D

#13 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 07:42 PM

Would that Kubota diesel aws be priced in the range that another member here would possibly be interested in encumbering themselves with it? Hmmmmmmmm? Inquiring minds need to know, ya know.

#14 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 12:59 AM

Would that Kubota diesel aws be priced in the range that another member here would possibly be interested in encumbering themselves with it? Hmmmmmmmm? Inquiring minds need to know, ya know.

I will certainly inquire as to the availability of both units and keep certain members apprised of expected costs. I did see that the WH got way more TLC than the 'Bota, that little guy runs sweet and is really nice and shiny and while I haven't heard it run the AWS looked a bit.... "dusty". Watch for further bulletins!:D

#15 Guest_Franz©_*

Guest_Franz©_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 02, 2013 - 10:23 PM

Generator driving MIG isn't enough information to answer the question with all the inverter machines floating around the market today.  Worst case try it and see if you can fly it.  Utility power dang sure ain't "clean"

With transformer type MIG, it can get iffy, or near impossible if the MIG is pulling half of the genset capacity.  Let your ears solve the problem.

IF the genset slows as you're trying to start the arc, you need to cheat the Laws of Physics.  Plug a large lightbulb (tungsten) into the genset so it's working rather than idling over waiting for a load.  That will often slide you around the problem.

You need to bear in mind at the instant of arc start you're sucking maximum electrons out of the genset.  At that same instant the genset is lugging to pick up the load just placed on it.  Worst possible combination of events happening together at a point in time.

• Toolpartzman said thank you