50 replies to this topic

#31 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 09:14 PM

Troy, I collect tractors to use them, or because I like them. I couldn't get rid of them at this point. However, I hear what you are saying about your situation with the wife and kids. If you need to move, then you need to move. I know I spent over 6 months looking for the home we live in now, so don't get discouraged if you can;t find something in a short period of time. Concentrate on the house, making sure it has what you need, everyone will be happier that way. You can probably build a barn easier than you can remodel a house, and the tractors won't complain while they wait.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#32 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 09:24 PM

Troy I have came back to this post 4 times now just wish I could give you the perfect answer, tell you the right thing to do.All I can do is tell you this, not many can say they even ever had the collection you have and to put it together again would be hard to say the least.With that being said I know your family is your number 1 thought
I sure hope your can come to a good compromise for I believe the tractors have intertwined with it {memories} .As far as value I don't think they will be worth any less than they are now most will grow in value for more of this little guys are disappering each day.

As for thinning down I have even thought of this myself I have just so many I need to start moveing some tractors so I can fix and
restore some, as I want to save them all but I know that's not realistic.But I do still have dreams of finding a 63 someday and maybe filling in my Round Fender collection .
What ever you do you will always have a Friend here, and I'm hopeing you will find the perfect house to make a home
for you and your family

#33 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 09:34 PM

We aren't going to jump to conclusion just yet, and I'm not looking to contact an auctioneer in the next week or so either. We have seen one place not far from here, that has a huge house, a separate garage, a small shed, and a nice bank barn, but the house will need completely remodeled. I am a Carpenter by trade and can do most of the work myself, but at the age of 45, do I really want to take on all of this work? I know, 45 is still young, and I still have my whole life ahead of me yet, but comitting to remodeling a house for the next 5 years, means a lot of down time on tractor restorations. Don't get me wrong, I like to remodel old buildings, and like putting my thoughts and ideas into motion, but if we buy this house, a majority of the remodeling would need to be done just in the first year. Decisions, decisions!

You guys still aren't telling me though, are you collecting for the fun of it, or as an investment? How many of you have really sat down and thought about getting rid of your collections? Is your collection documented on paper, as to what is to be done with it if something should happen to in the near future? Will the collection or sell it?

If this house is suitable or another like it that needs fixing is suitable for both you and your family I would say go that route. Once the tractors are gone, they're gone. Game over. Even if means five years of not having time to enjoy them in the end you still have them to enjoy when time allows in the future. You mention further down the thread about pleasing your family. I am sure they wouldn't want you to give up your dreams, I don't think any spouse or child would want that for someone. It might just make you miserable or maybe even a little resentful in the future. I live just on the outskirts of our town and the wife is happy with her home and I have somewhere to put a few things, but not many. My lot is 60x100 and if I go into the basement which is about 30ft x 30ft there are 5 garden tractors, 2 snowblowers, 2 snow blades, a troy bilt rototiller,a push mower, 2 mower decks hanging on the wall, a lawn cart and some other odds and ends. Add to that all our mechanicals, washer, dryer, furnace, water heater, deep freeze, my work bench, a drill press, a parts cleaner, and all the little things one finds in a basement and you can imagine just how PACKED it is. Don't give up on the dream quite yet.

Definately for my own personal pleasure. I could never BEGIN to recoup my investment in my tractors. My 73 has about twice the money in it that it's worth. Most of our big tractor collection is the same way. We collect based on tractors that for one reason or another just strike us and we decide we want them.

#34 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 10:44 PM

Troy,
I don't have any wisdom to add to what the group has already said here. This really is a caring bunch of guys and they all seem to be giving the great advice that we've come to expect. I did want to address the question of whether or not we collect for value or because we just wanted them. I am a bargain hunter by nature and thus far, most of my collection has been acquired at much lower than what I would call "fair market value". In the back of my mind, that was just in case I ever get to where I need to sell some of them. I have yet to do any complete restorations, and therefore I haven't got a lot invested in most of them after the purchase. That being said, I hope that it never comes to that, and there are a few in the collection that would remain regardless. I also imagine that any restorations I do will relegate that tractor to the keep forever pile.
As far as being selfish with your choice...I imagine that you've already had that discussion with your wife, and I believe that she knows who you are and what makes you tick (they always do!) I'm sure that she wouldn't want you to be miserable any more than you would want her to be. Your opportunity will arrive when it's time has come. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

#35 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 08:00 AM

The financial aspect for me only comes into play as to whether I can afford something or not. The $ investment return part doesn't concern me as I do this for enjoyment & nothing else. I invest in my farm for security (what security there is), but my tractors are an investment to my mental health. I would be pretty lost without my regular "tractor fixes", so unless my health goes sour, I will always have my GT's.
So Troy, as I said before, think long & hard. You are in turmoil over possibly selling, so try to imagine what you will feel like if you sell down in a major fashion. By keeping your collection intact, it may be doing your family a huge favor over selling. Plus it is quite easy to see that your whole family IS a BIG part of your hobby.

#36 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 09:54 AM

Well I think it's pretty much clear that we all collect garden tractors just for the enjoyment, and not for investment purposes. I thought though, that there may be some out there that are looking for future profit gains, but I guess I was wrong. I was just wanting to put the question out there to see if we could get two different versions of collecting methods.

Daniel, you are right. If I sold the collection, or even just parts of it, I would be miserable they rest of my life, and who knows what kind of tolls that would result between me and the family. I know my wife doesn't like the fact that I spent money on objects that just sit around and take up space, but I know deep down inside she would hurt with me if I ever had to part with them. She has stated many times already, that those tractors are a very good stability to my life. I'm not saying they rule my life, or that I wouldn't be able to continue life without them, but I know of many times when I might of had a bad day at work, and instead of taking my frustration out on the family, I would go out to the shed, work on the tractors for a couple of hours, and return to the house somewhat refreshed and in a better mood. She tells me to go work on a tractor if I happen to be in a bad mood, knowing that those tractors will relax me and make me forget all about whatever it was that put me into the bad mood in the first place.

The kids would take it hard as well if I had to part with the collection, as they look forward to me getting them out and going to tractor shows. I wrote each tractor year and model down on a single piece of paper one night, mixed them up in a hat, and left each kid draw from the hat. I then wrote down which tractor each kid drew, and basically told them that those tractors are now thiers. And let me tell you, they not only know which tractors are thiers, but they all take very much pride in those tractors. When I told them that we may have to sell the collection, they weren't very happy, and I think they were all about three seconds from crying before my wife told them not to panic, we are going to try and find something with enough space to store them all, and selling them isn't something deffinite yet. It seemed to ease the pain a little, but you can tell they are still thinking about it.

I'm not sure how the rest of you feel, but getting rid of the collection would be like losing a dear, close friend. It probably sounds wierd, but that is how much this collection means. When you've been doing something for so long, and find out that someday it might just all come to a stop, you feel kind of lost, and confused. You know? It was hard losing Mom a couple of years back and although I eventually left go, I still miss the times we had togther. Well, this would be something like that. Yeah, they are only material things, and most could be replaced, but it would still feel like losing part of the family.

Edited by johndeereelfman, October 12, 2012 - 12:22 PM.

• tractorman604, Gary400 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#37 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 10:08 AM

Troy, I am glad you came to the realization they are an invaluable part of ALL your family's lives. You have been going through quite a stressful time with trying to sell your house & buy another home, so I believe that has caused such a stress that you are blaming yourself for things not working out, and maybe without knowing it, you were punishing yourself by considering selling your collection. Some things just are past our control, but at this point in your life, the tractor collection is not part of the problem. Besides, what would your wife do with you if you sold it all, then came home in a bad mood? Do you even have a dog house? :smilewink:
I would make a crack about your collection being all green, but since I bought the JD430, I guess I can't do that anymore! :( ...... :D
  • dstaggs, johndeereelfman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#38 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 12:28 PM

I would make a crack about your collection being all green, but since I bought the JD430, I guess I can't do that anymore! :( ...... :D

No you can't Daniel. You are one of us now! I'm just hoping that you'll like that green one so much, that'll you'll want more. :dancingbanana:

#39 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 03:55 PM

I'm not sure how the rest of you feel, but getting rid of the collection would be like losing a dear, close friend. It probably sounds wierd, but that is how much this collection means. When you've been doing something for so long, and find out that someday it might just all come to a stop, you feel kind of lost, and confused. You know?

I feel the same way, Losing one of my Bolens would be almost like losing a family member.

#40 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for sharing. I recall one suggestion related to farms, barns and such: and around here, I see ads for boarding (horses). Is it possible to consider there is more than likely a barn space close to you that another family has little or no use for that could be bartered for storage? (not that having them away from your view & direct access will help you sleep better...)

#41 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 07:32 PM

The only advice I have is to be patient and not compromise on what you and your wife want. The right place will come along.

Geno

#42 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 08:31 PM

I will sleep better tonight knowing you have came to your senses. LOL! You are right in that I do it for enjoyment and not an investment. But there is certainly value in them, making it easier to justify buying "just one more."

#43 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 07:17 AM

JDRMF,
I am in about the same situation you find yourself in but for a different reason.

I have been turning wrenches for a living for almost 50 years and don't see that changing during whatever years I have left. Having a hobby that is the same as what I did and do for a living is becoming the problem for me. I find it increasingly hard to go to the shop to tinker with one of my own GTs after spending 8 to 10 hours working on other folks mowers, snowblowers, GTs, etc.

The two restorations I started last summer, George Workbird and Yardman 600, are still sitting on the shelves undone and I don't see any movement on them taking place anytime soon. I am about to the point where I am going to go sell everything except the Workbird and the JD 140H3 and start reloading pistol and rifle ammunition as the hobby.

#44 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 07:30 AM

Thanks for sharing. I recall one suggestion related to farms, barns and such: and around here, I see ads for boarding (horses). Is it possible to consider there is more than likely a barn space close to you that another family has little or no use for that could be bartered for storage? (not that having them away from your view ; direct access will help you sleep better...)

I did this myself. We didn't quite have room for all tractors at one point, (just when we got the 2520)so while we made room for it we put the 630 out at a neighbor's barn while we made room for both.

Troy, have any close neighbors that might allow you too put some GTs in their storage? You could keep the ones that fit at your place and store the others elsewhere until a good place is ready to go for a permanet home?

#45 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 10:21 AM

I have actually thought about the storage idea, but I'm a little hesitant about that, due to the following reasons:

-will the owner give me a key to the storage unit so that I have access to get the tractors for a show every now and then, or will I have to make arrangements on his schedule to get them.

-am I trusting enough to let my collection in the hands of someone else. How many people does this guy know that have collections of thier own.

-fire is one of my biggest fears. If fire was to take out the collection, for some reason I'd feel better losing it in one of my buildings rather than someone elses.

I have talked to one of our fellow members Craig Kline about storing some tractors for me, and he said he'd help me out with what he could, so that might be an option if need be. I'd feel a whole lot better having a fellow member store tractors for me, rather than someone I don't know. Kathy and I talked about all of this again last night, and we came to an agreement, that we would not buy a place if there isn't enough room for the collection. She won't let me sell the collection, as she even stated that I just wouldn't be the same person without them. She likes that I have made so many friends through collecting these tractors, and how important it is for me to be able to help out others in need whether it be with parts, knowledge, or just opinions. Me helping others is what makes me tick! I guess I never really looked at things the way she does, and now after seeing what she does, I have to admit she's right.

So the collection will stay and not be sold! Thanks to all of you for making me see the light, and for steering me in the right direction. Again, you guys know just what to say, and how to help!

Take Care,
Troy

Edited by johndeereelfman, October 13, 2012 - 10:22 AM.

• bgkid2966 and Newpaws493 have said thanks