• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 07:35 PM

I don't believe the original design is made for fast or high heat, but rather extended "warmth" on the principal of the Russian stove burning less wood and using the mass to store and give off the accumulated heat. However, I'm fascinated by these designs and especially the cool "sound effects" produced. The "physics" behind the designs escapes me for the moment.:D
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#17 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 11:52 PM

My home is designed on that high mass concept. 140,000 # of sand under the kitchen ( 30 is by 18 ish )
, and additionaly 2 1/2 thick concrete radiant floors throughout on the main floor. Yay warm floors!

This rocket stove confounds me, I knocked 9" off the top, and yet it does not produce well. I guess I gotta add some insulation to the outside now just to see it through.

Edited by marlboro180, October 12, 2012 - 11:53 PM.

#18 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 07:32 AM

Interusting reading , I remember reading about these types fireplaces over 30 years ago when my wife ( girlfriend at the time lol ) where designing our house . We didn't go that route but built a large inside the house chimmiy with 2 flues in the basemnet and one on the main floor . Right now only the basement one has a wood stove the other two flues are capped at the top and bottom openings . It seems like a great idea and hoping we hear from real live users in the areas that we live . I wonder if anyone used propane for the fuel sourse ,instance on and off with automatic controls , just a thought , Al

#19 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 10:20 PM

how a rocket stove/heater works
watch the two videos - the guys explains how it works

read the comments for the video - good info

one stated that after it cool down that you can loose heat out the flue.

I have a wood burn that I feed from the outside of my garage and the main part of the wood burner is inside the garage. my flue pipe is also on the outside of the garage. To stop the down draft I put a t-pipe at the top of the flue pipe then put a t-pipe on both side of the t-pipe. I never had a problem with down draft using it.
You can also use an elbow pipe on top of the flue then put a t-pipe on the elbow. Both ways help stop the down drafts

Edited by lyall, October 16, 2012 - 10:59 PM.

• MH81, KennyP and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 06:35 AM

I'd like to try a small version of this. Looking for fire brick right now. Just need the rest of the materials.

#21 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 07:18 PM

Holy smoke! In the first video the man explains EXACTLY how my Avalon downdraft/airwash stove works. The primary fire right on the wood in the firebox and the secondary burn (of gas) right in back of the glass stove window in front of the wood. My stove uses firebrick and ceramic wool to contain-retain the heat in the firebox to encourage the gasses to burn. After that process in both stoves the flue gasses should be the same temperature for the "rocket stove" and a normal woodstove. The flue gasses in the pipe (single wall) 3' above my stove are just over 150º for the entire duration of the "secondary burn" in the firebox.

I STILL WANT TO KNOW how you generate enough heat in that thing to overcome all the cold air inside multiple feet of "serpentine" stovepipe encased in adobe and "polymer" to create the blast effect. The stovepipe encased in that "mass" is BELOW the rocket exhaust inside the barrel.

Who constantly feeds the "sticks" and "scrap wood" in there as the rocket consumes enough wood to make this alleged heat? Fire is fire and the amount of potential heat given off by any wood is basically the same in a low air draft situation. I see no gain over any other heater/stove surrounded by a brick/stone/mortar/masonry structure heat sink. You can only get so many BTU's out of burning wood. Sorry, that's just plain physics.

I would rather feed my stove a load of 16" splits of hardwood, set the draft and then watch that stove make the same amount of heat that "rocket" is said to generate. I will be able to see my fire AND it will last 5-7 hours until the secondary burn runs out of gas and then there's still 2+ hours of useful heat coming off the stove before the next charge. AND the entire process happens behind a CLOSED and SAFE door leading to a constant draw chimney with no chance of gas leakage into the house.

AND, as for "a tiny amount of ash"? That's all that's left in the bottom of my stove after a week's worth of Winter fires...

"Just Me Department"> I don't believe the guy in the video ever had his actual scientific dry board pen holdin' fingers on a "rocket stove" nor did he ever see one in operation other than the internet. He's just as amazed at what he says as I am.

To me the usefulness as a home heater it is far beyond "smoke and mirrors". IF it works like it's touted it might have some entertainment value out in the safe area of the backyard. I sure wouldn't want that thing in my house! Jamie and Adam would be my only trusted sources of "testing" on one of these gadgets.:D

BTW, to get the kind of temperatures touted in that "J-stack", I believe you would have to inject the bottom fire with air or the stack with oxygen.

(I never, ever thought I'd ever even consider giving any thought to a "U-Tube" amazing magic production in all my born days!):D
  • MH81, Cat385B and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 07:22 PM

I'm with HH on this one. A given amount of wood can only make so many btu's of heat period. Burning a small amount of wood at a higher heat intensity will require someone almost constantly shoving little sticks of wood in. Just no way this is practical, and certainly cannot save all the wood they claim to heat one's home. But they get lots of attention attempting to convince people.

#23 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 01:10 AM

do a search from , off grid living  ect' there is a heap of those sort of heating stoves & such 

#24 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted April 17, 2015 - 04:05 AM

I was doing some googling and found a reference to something called a "Rocket Mass Heater".
rocket-mass-heater-diagram.png
It's a kind of wood stove that makes almost no smoke and hits a 90% efficiency rating. One guy talked about going from a standard wood burner to one and went from 4 cords to a half cord per winter.

There are lots of hits if you google the words, but wondered if anyone here has ever used one before or currently and what their experience has been.

As an aside, the area that references "butts" is a large clay bench that the exhaust runs thru and works like a radiator. Once it gets heated, it probably would be nice to sit on.

RE:- you could harness the exhaust gases & run a small combustion engine on the waste gases , look  google utube , engineer775 or testamonionmanshow  also , think thats how its spelt