• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 06:24 PM

I was doing some googling and found a reference to something called a "Rocket Mass Heater".
Posted Image
It's a kind of wood stove that makes almost no smoke and hits a 90% efficiency rating. One guy talked about going from a standard wood burner to one and went from 4 cords to a half cord per winter.

There are lots of hits if you google the words, but wondered if anyone here has ever used one before or currently and what their experience has been.

As an aside, the area that references "butts" is a large clay bench that the exhaust runs thru and works like a radiator. Once it gets heated, it probably would be nice to sit on.
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 06:31 PM

New one on me......

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 07:40 PM

I was wondering if you could give some clarity to the term "rockety" LOL? It looks like a sound design, but I'd like to see a less cartoony one with some better descriptions.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#4 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 08:10 PM

this is the web site for more info about it
http://www.richsoil....mass-heater.jsp

I thinking about making one - have to study it for a while the see how it designed
  • caseguy said thank you

#5 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 08:22 PM

Looks like another version of what I've seen referred to as a russian woodstove or masonry heater,they are supposed to be extremely efficient as well as a very nice heat source. Here's a link to a different design,

http://www.grannysst...onry_stoves.htm

#6 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 10:03 PM

Somewhat on the idea of a Russian woodstove which is mainly a large mass heat sink using a small fire and small chimney flue... But, how do you develop the necessary draft on that thing to get it burning when it's mass is cold? The draft goes "down" for part of it. I don't see any way it will generate self draft other than the slight loss of heat into the clay heat sink and that ain't much variation in flue gas heat vs. stack elevation. I can see why the "fuel" is only sticks, you could not burn cordwood in a design like that without heap much creosote buildup.

Edit: Upon another look, the "exhaust" of CO2 and water, this is a bit of a stretch as all us woodburners know there's more icky stuff generated from burning wood than that. The slower the fire, the more "bad stuff" is going to come out of that steam hole! Rotate that thing 90º counter clockwise and you got yourself a real stove. I say the drawing is missing about 12' of chimney hooked to where it sez "steam and CO2 (also CO, a real bad gas!) otherwise no go too good.

Edited by HydroHarold, October 10, 2012 - 10:09 PM.

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 07:16 AM

CO is a product of incomplete (read "standard" or inefficient) combustion as is creosote. The idea is that the reburn chamber consumes the creosote and other nasties from the initial burn leaving only CO2 and steam. It's an intriguing theory that I may have to experiment with :D
  • marlboro180 said thank you

#8 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 10:20 AM

It's an intriguing theory that I may have to experiment with :D

I'm with you on that ^ .Why not try one on a small scale? This is one I plan on making- or some variant of it.

Posted Image

Image courtesy of : http://www.sweetmk.c...y-rocket-stove/

Seems if fellas can gassify wood and run an ICE on it, why not try burning it all up for your heater?

Edited by marlboro180, October 11, 2012 - 10:22 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 04:22 PM

If I can find some fire brick cheap, Ill give a small one a go!

#10 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 08:49 PM

I was thinking - sorry about that
it is getting hot enough it would be great for bending and shaping metal - like an old forge

now I know I am going to go to my brother and get one made
still got to do more plannig

#11 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 09:06 PM

I made one tonight outta 1/4 wall 3 1/2 square tube, 1/4 " wall. Darn thing whistled and shrieked at me when it came up to temperature.
  • MH81, caseguy and lyall have said thanks

#12 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 12:06 AM

You guys let me know when you get one perfected! Preferably BEFORE I have to spring for the new fireplace insert!:D

BTW, no matter how hot your final combustion gasses get when burning, you will still get lethal levels of CO and CO2 out of the stack. It's just the way fossil and non-fossil burning works regardless of fuel burned. That includes natural gas and propane, newspaper logs, corncobs, buffalo dung, catalytic or not.
  • lyall and marlboro180 have said thanks

#13 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 03:12 PM

Good point Harold on the exhaust.

Though I'd share a few pics of the one I whipped up last night. I think the stack is too tall for my intended use ( outdoor cooking/ heat ) as the eggs, salami and toast I made for lunch took forever....not enough heat at all up top. Close , but just not quite there....

The screaching last night I figured was from a little toothed stopper that was welded into the burn area to prevent the sticks from going in too far. It works better with it in place, despite the noise. I'll weld one back insoon enough.

I resorted to adding some heat for the cooking with my handy dandy MAPP torch. Even at medium burn, I could put my hand within a few inches of the exhast. Full burn , maybe 6 inches. Steamy too.

Also, the rack on top effectively limits the burn when the pan is over it, damping the fire and producing copiuos amounts of smoke ( little steam) I'll have to put some sort of riser on the top to increase the spacing there for cooking on it.

One of the bottom pics is a bunch of " Noodles "? from quartering some of the rounds here. Great firestarter, or chicken bedding.

Enjoy :-)

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC03549.JPG
  • DSC03550.JPG
  • DSC03553.JPG
  • DSC03556.JPG
  • DSC03563.JPG
  • DSC03566.JPG
  • DSC03572.JPG
  • DSC03573.JPG
  • DSC03578.JPG
  • DSC03571.JPG
  • DSC03565.JPG
  • DSC03569.JPG

Edited by marlboro180, October 12, 2012 - 03:16 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 03:24 PM

Good point Harold on the exhaust.

Though I'd share a few pics of the one I whipped up last night. I think the stack is too tall for my intended use ( outdoor cooking/ heat ) as the eggs, salami and toast I made for lunch took forever....not enough heat at all up top. Close , but just not quite there....

The screaching last night I figured was from a little toothed stopper that was welded into the burn area to prevent the sticks from going in too far. It works better with it in place, despite the noise. I'll weld one back insoon enough.

I resorted to adding some heat for the cooking with my handy dandy MAPP torch. Even at medium burn, I could put my hand within a few inches of the exhast. Full burn , maybe 6 inches. Steamy too.

Also, the rack on top effectively limits the burn when the pan is over it, damping the fire and producing copiuos amounts of smoke ( little steam) I'll have to put some sort of riser on the top to increase the spacing there for cooking on it.

One of the bottom pics is a bunch of " Noodles "? from quartering some of the rounds here. Great firestarter, or chicken bedding.

Enjoy :-)

I think what you have made is not close to the original idea. Thus, no heat!

#15 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 03:45 PM

Indeed, indeed ^^. No insulation on the outside, whick would change things entirely. Time to slip a tube over the whole thing, and see what happens. :D