#1 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 03:33 PM

Afternoon All,

Last week I brought home a Bolens 1220Tractor with 42" mower and a Snow Caster blower,so here the problem to prepare for winter I removed the mower deck.The deck had a PTO half shaft {female} on the drive and of course a male half shaft went to the rear PTO on the tractor.

The blower sits with a half shaft male PTO shaft attached to the drive. Something is missing, thinking a female half shaft to the 6 spline on the tractor.

I have downloaded all the manuals for the deck and blower,it seems to show a u joint with 2 yokes as a coupler. What should I be looking for to connect the blower to the tractor?

Do you use the 6 spline male half shaft from the mower with this coupler ? Doesnt seem right to have 3 u joints on one shaft. Thank You Mike

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 03:39 PM

Afternoon All,

Last week I brought home a Bolens 1220Tractor with 42" mower and a Snow Caster blower,so here the problem to prepare for winter I removed the mower deck.The deck had a PTO half shaft {female} on the drive and of course a male half shaft went to the rear PTO on the tractor.

The blower sits with a half shaft male PTO shaft attached to the drive. Something is missing, thinking a female half shaft to the 6 spline on the tractor.

I have downloaded all the manuals for the deck and blower,it seems to show a u joint with 2 yokes as a coupler. What should I be looking for to connect the blower to the tractor?

Do you use the 6 spline male half shaft from the mower with this coupler ? Doesnt seem right to have 3 u joints on one shaft. Thank You Mike

it sounds like the Po had modified the mower how it should be is that it comes out of the gear box and to the u-joint to a 7/8x3/4 shaft then it should go into a female u joint up to the 6 spline pto and it should be the same for the snow blower
  • Mike Unwin said thank you

#3 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 03:56 PM

So both attachments sitting on the ground should have a male half shaft fixed to them.
And the tractor PTO shaft should have the female section on it.
The PTO shaft one end female the other end the 6 spline.

Am I understanding it right ? Many thanks almost there I hope

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,695 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 06:51 PM

Here's a pic of a snow caster attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1050 blower pics 010.JPG

• MailmAn and Mike Unwin have said thanks

#5 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 07:03 PM

So both attachments sitting on the ground should have a male half shaft fixed to them.
And the tractor PTO shaft should have the female section on it.
The PTO shaft one end female the other end the 6 spline.

Am I understanding it right ? Yes!

Welcome to GTT !!

I'm sure you know this, but just to make sure: ....NEVER leave the U-joint connected to the tractor's PTO without having an attachment installed. ....It's too easy to forget it's there, and if the PTO is accidentally engaged the U-joint will beat itself and other parts to death.

A female x female U-joint originally came with the snowblower and the mower attachment, so you may have two. .....The previous owner may have only given you one, but that's OK, because the same joint was used with either attachment.

NEVER have a U-joint installed to both ends of the tractor's PTO at the same time.

#6 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 07:59 PM

Well my blower looks like the picture it has a male rectangle shaft about 4 inches long fixed to the gear box.

The mower has a round keyed yoke on that gear box with a 3.5 inch female rectangle sleeve.

The PTO had 6 spline on one end with a 4.25 male rectangle shaft on other end.

Would have a picture please of the piece I am missing Bruce? The part that connects the PTO shaft to the blower.

Going by the parts break down one problem is the shaft on the mower deck appears to be changed from the original male to a female.The part I need for the blower seems to be item number 1715008.First thing set everything back to factory. Thanks Everyone Mike

Edited by uxtractor, October 10, 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#7 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 09:43 PM

The PTO had 6 spline on one end with a 4.25 male rectangle shaft on other end

Just to make sure i did not misunderstand you. The pto on the tractor is like you discribed above or does it have six splines on both ends?

#8 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 11:43 PM

Well my blower looks like the picture it has a male rectangle shaft about 4 inches long fixed to the gear box.

The mower has a round keyed yoke on that gear box with a 3.5 inch female rectangle sleeve.

The PTO had 6 spline on one end with a 4.25 male rectangle shaft on other end.

Would have a picture please of the piece I am missing Bruce? The part that connects the PTO shaft to the blower.

Going by the parts break down one problem is the shaft on the mower deck appears to be changed from the original male to a female. The part I need for the blower seems to be item number 1715008.

Sorry, but I have no pics. ....Maybe someone else can help with that.

The best I can do is the Bolens 1220 Parts Manual posted here: http://gardentractor...35-bolens-1220/
.....Part reference #245 on page 5 is the tractor's PTO shaft, which has splines at each end.

The parts breakdown for the #18538 Snow Caster attachment is posted here: http://gardentractor...now-throwerpdf/ .....It shows the #1715008 U-joint (female spline X female rectangular opening).

It would be very helpful if you could post a pic of what you have. .....Obviously it is not original. .....Perhaps someone changed the yokes on the U-joints, but why ???

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, October 11, 2012 - 08:15 AM.

#9 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,695 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 06:52 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#10 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,695 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 06:52 AM

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,695 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 06:53 AM

These are the two you need

#12 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 08:10 AM

Maybe I am misunderstanding what uxtractor is trying to say (you know that Canadian to American language barrier, lol...) but it almost sounds like the PO somehow installed the PTO shaft on backwards for the mower deck somehow? I could be wrong and honestly I don't know how you would even do that as I would assume that you can't put the 16-splined shaft onto the gearbox shaft and the round U-joint won't go over the PTO jackshaft part that is splined to take the other end. But it sounds like he is talking about the "mower has a round keyed yoke on that gear box with a 3.5 inch female rectangle sleeve." Could the PO somehow have taken the U-joints themselves apart to service them or something and then he put them together backwards? Sounds like the round U-joint that attaches to the mower gearbox has the square female end that SHOULD be up front on the 16-splined U-joint and the U-joint with the 16-splined part that attaches to the PTO jackshaft up front has the square shaft that should be sticking out of the mower gearbox U-joint. Is this accurate, uxtractor, or did I miss the whole of what you are saying?

On a side note, I have noticed that the round U-joint part that goes to the mower deck gearbox shaft is practically IMPOSSIBLE to come off. I was going to try and remove it on mine just to try and free it up. The roll pin came out easily enough, but I spent about an hour hammering the U-joint with a prybar on the edge to try and loosen it up to get it off and it didn't even budge a millimeter! Do you need a special tool to get it off with or just 1,000,000 times more patience than I have, evidently?

#13 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 08:14 AM

Posted ImagePosted Image

The lower pic shows the U-joint with fine splines. .....The 1220 should take the coarse 6-spline U-joint.

I don't have my parts book handy, does the older square-back snowblowers (18514, 18516, 18532) use the same U-joint, or did they use the shorter U-joint?

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, October 11, 2012 - 08:16 AM.

#14 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 08:20 AM

First I need to thank everyone for their help,Yes someone has modified the driveline to the mower,no idea why.I scouted the web last night and saw the pictures of what I need.Failly that I can take apart the mower shafts,intall the male recangle to the mower round yoke and then install the long female sleeve to the 6 spline PTO yoke and shorten the female part to match the orginal. Does anyone know the overall length of the PTO connecting shaft ? I think it is part number 1715008.Sorry for all the questions and confusion much has changed since 1969!! I will keep you guys posted. Cheers Mike

#15 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 08:38 AM

On a side note, I have noticed that the round U-joint part that goes to the mower deck gearbox shaft is practically IMPOSSIBLE to come off. I was going to try and remove it on mine just to try and free it up. The roll pin came out easily enough, but I spent about an hour hammering the U-joint with a prybar on the edge to try and loosen it up to get it off and it didn't even budge a millimeter! Do you need a special tool to get it off ?

No special tools needed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pto, blower, 1220