Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips, how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Chrome Baby Moon Hubcaps

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 63 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:07 PM

I looked a bit to see if this has been asked before, but does anyone know where to find baby moon hubcaps like what were used on
most tractors from the 60s? I am looking for plain caps.

I can find caps for 6 and 8" wheels on golf cart accessory sites, but not for the 12" wheel. Simplicity used to have them for a very reasonable price, but I believe they have been discontinued. I bought the last pair of 6" and 12" caps from a dealer in my area and they had to dust them off. Also, I think the caps for the 12" wheel actually measure 10 3/16 at the retaining tabs so it just adds to the confusion when looking for this size.

Does anyone know of a supplier for these types of caps? I am not interested in buying a high priced used set on ebay when I'm sure they can be found new, cheaper. Can anyone help? I always like pictures, so here's one of a Sears with the hubcaps.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1971Hydrotrac.jpg

#2 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 212 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hub caps can get pretty price. Like you mentioned, my only thought would be ebay. You might, however, try craigslist or looking around at local shows for them.
  • RAJ said thank you

#3 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 1,650 Thanks
  • 1,755 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 09:21 PM

Don't know if they are still available, but DEPCO (800-899-3372) has had the 6 & 8" in "Moon" and 12" in "Cone".

001 640x480.JPG

These are stainless steel caps, last I bought were 8" @ $8.33/ea. That was in July of "09, at that time they were selling them on ebay. ~~ Lowell
  • RAJ said thank you

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 3,855 Thanks
  • 2,310 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 01:59 AM

These aren't baby moons but check these out:

http://www.prweb.com...rweb9805811.htm
  • RAJ said thank you

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Magic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 3,580 Thanks
  • 1,965 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 06:46 PM

I buy my 8" front caps from a guy on ebay at $14.99 each. As for the 12" rears, I used to get them through Wheel Horse for $18.59 each. Not sure where to send you now for the rears. I tried the stainless steel cone ones, and they just don't seem to hold the shine like the chrome hubcaps do. Just my opinion, please don't take offense. I really didn't like the cone shaping either, compared to the smooth roundness as the older caps. Again, just my opinion.

Edited by johndeereelfman, October 10, 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#6 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 63 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 07:37 PM

I buy my 8" front caps from a guy on ebay at $14.99 each. As for the 12" rears, I used to get them through Wheel Horse for $18.59 each. Not sure where to send you now for the rears. I tried the stainless steel cone ones, and they just don't seem to hold the shine like the chrome hubcaps do. Just my opinion, please don't take offense. I really didn't like the cone shaping either, compared to the smooth roundness as the older caps. Again, just my opinion.

I agree with you, johndeereelfman. I like the OEM look. I spoke to a Cub Cadet/Simplicity dealer in my area today about the caps. He knows what I am looking for and said he remembers stocking them at one time, but he cannot locate them in the parts books for Cub Cadet, and Simplicity is apparently more difficult to look up parts info if you dont have a specific model number to start with. I even went to cubcadet.com and internet-chatted with someone from MTD and he kept going back to the age of the machine and how parts can become obsolete. (I used my IH 100 for the guinea pig and even a newer 3000 series Cub Cadet since the plain caps were optional on the anniversary model.)

Just one thing I want to add for those that may not know... I have a 1966 Cub Cadet accessory brochure that shows non-IH logo caps. I figure that the IH hubcap wasn't around until the 1968 models. The same goes for the early Masseys as I have seen photos of them with plain caps as well.

I can only assume that there was only one vendor that supplied these caps to various makes. I also assume that they no longer carry the caps, not because they no longer exist, but because there was not enough demand for them. If I can figure out the vendor, I think I'll find that they can still be had. There was also a guy on ebay that sold new caps for the bigger tractors, but there are none on there currently, and actually no activity from that seller at this time. Where the heck did he get them?? They have to be somewhere.

I'll keep digging I guess.

Edited by Rajkowski, October 10, 2012 - 07:40 PM.

• johndeereelfman said thank you