• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 06:34 PM

With cooler temps, and leaves falling, my instinct to split firewood has kicked in.
I have more then enough spilt for this season, but it's time to get next years split, stacked and covered for next year.

Today I did about a cord or so. But it was a real workout. I was splitting 48"-54" red oak rounds that I got for free last year. Even though they've dried out some, they are still HEAVY !! My Bolens HT-23 and loader handled them with ease, but they had to be quartered before I could even attempt to handle them by hand. Normally my retired friend comes to help me split (he loves splitting wood) but he ran off to Maine to go moose hunting.

I'll be splitting off and on for the next two months, I've got 8-10 cords of rounds to do. Thankfully they are not all as big as I did today.

Tomorrow I'll get some splitter pics and post them.

• LilysDad said thank you

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 06:44 PM

Splitting and stacking firewood is definitely a lot of work. We are actually selling all the wood we cut and split the past two years because we decided not to do the outside wood burner.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#3 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 07:29 PM

TEASE.... That's all you are.. TEASE.. :poke: rat probably still has your cord too.. :mad2:

#4 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:50 PM

TEASE.... That's all you are.. TEASE.. :poke: rat probably still has your cord too.. :mad2:

Don't feel bad TG I didn't get my annual I'm splitting wood today picture msg either,guess he was to busy splitting wood to take pictures. :camera: :bigrofl:

#5 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:56 PM

It is a lot of work, that is for sure. I am only 16 (am supposed to be in my prime), and it tires me out pretty quick. I have some wood that I would like to split before winter comes.

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:58 PM

Splitting and stacking firewood is definitely a lot of work. We are actually selling all the wood we cut and split the past two years because we decided not to do the outside wood burner.

Really?
Didn't you do your back in doing that last fall?
What are you getting for a face cord down there?

#7 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 09:23 PM

Your making that much $$ off of GTtalk that you can afford fuel oil or gas ? Or did you hit the lottery ?

There isn't no way I'd NOT use an outside wood burner unless I hit the lottery.

Why did you decide to not use it ?
  • Cat385B and LilysDad have said thanks

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 09:50 PM

Your making that much $$ off of GTtalk that you can afford fuel oil or gas ? Or did you hit the lottery ?

:bigrofl: Well? Did ya?

:tapping_fingers:

Ken, :watching_you: you're still on the hook for :camera: . Don't be cheatin' us, now.

Edited by Cat385B, October 09, 2012 - 09:51 PM.

• Team_Green and LilysDad have said thanks

#9 davidg OFFLINE  

davidg

• Member No: 371
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 10:05 PM

ship some down this way, i'll be glad to take it. heck, what am i talking about i still have a couple cords split and tossed in a pile from 2 years ago.

#10 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 11:58 PM

I would do a inside furnace before a out door boiler up here.. way to much cost and the amount of wood they eat up here is insane.. would need a wood processor for just what i would need..

BTW.. I can't see your :camera: .. Did you have a problem posting them? :poke: :wewantpics:
  • LilysDad and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 01:39 AM

BTW.. I can't see your :camera: .. Did you have a problem posting them? :poke: :wewantpics:

Must be he chopped up the camera or ran it over with the HT!??!?! :spamani: :smilewink:

I've got wood that is rotting because the wife has the fireplace buried behind a bunch of pictures aand I'll be darned if I'm gonna move them.. :wallbanging:

We have a slight picture problem in WNY as they are over running all over our humble abode..

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, October 10, 2012 - 01:39 AM.

#12 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 01:52 AM

Pictures are good. wish my wife would want more.. she just might come home to a wall full some day..

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 05:22 AM

The reason we are not going with one is because it would be 14 years until it would pay for itself. By that time it would need to be replaced. Our township zoning rules are also a bunch of bs.

#14 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 05:36 AM

I've been splitting myself. I feel the burn in my shoulders and sides. :D. I don't have to do a ton. Mine is for the shop.

I'd love one of those outdoor units. They do well here and I've got acres of free wood.

Sent from my HTC One X

#15 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for reminding me. I need to start planning for next year's wood. We burn about 6 face cord (4'x8'x16") per winter.

There's a fellow near me that sells green wood cut into 16" lengths. Just need to split, stack and store for next year. It's usually a bit easier to split the wood when it's frozen.

At 48" to 54" - those are huge. Lucky they are't elm. I've borrowed a wood splitter and had it turn elm into spaghetti.