Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Been Waiting A Long Time For This! ( My New Bolens Is Finally Home!)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 01:19 PM

As some of you may remember I posted a thread a while ago about a Bolens rear tine tiller that belonged to a member in Minnesota on another forum. About 2 months later the tiller was put up for auction on ebay and I posted another thread saying "Someone buy this!"
At first I figured the tiller was too far away to get so thats why I posted about it in the open forum for someone else to get. After a couple nights of not being able to sleep thinking about this tiller I remembered watching the show "Shipping Wars" on A&E and signed up to U-ship and made the arrangements with the seller. After about a week of shippers bidding to ship my tiller I got an offer to ship it from Minnesota to New York for around $350 (Highest bid was close to $900! Good thing I waited! :D
But With this tiller being extremely rare I was almost willing bid and pay what ever it would cost to win it and have it shipped to me as this was a "Once in a lifetime buy"
Using U-ship was a pleasant experience and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to have larger stuff shipped at a reasonable price.

After a quick cleaning of the points the old Kohler K90 (3.6HP) fired right up and ran great!
I drove it around for a few minutes then changed the oil.
Here are some pictures of it with the engine running today.
I'll post some better pictures and make a video once I get some new rubber on the tires :D

If anyone out there has any literature,brochures,documentation on this 1958 Power tiller please contact me. I have no literature in any of my Books. I do have the owners/parts manual thanks to Bruce Dorsi ,Thanks again Bruce! :worshippy1:

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens power tiller delivered 10 9-12 001.JPG
  • Bolens power tiller delivered 10 9-12 002.JPG
  • Bolens power tiller delivered 10 9-12 003.JPG
  • Bolens power tiller delivered 10 9-12 004.JPG
  • Bolens power tiller delivered 10 9-12 005.JPG

• daytime dave, Gtractor, Bruce Dorsi and 4 others have said thanks

#2 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 01:31 PM

congrads doc i'm happy for you enjoy. in Christ
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#3 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 03:15 PM

Really nice score there! Glad to hear it got delivered to your door in one piece. It is good to know that it went to a good home!

I have heard of U-Ship well before the TV show "Shipping Wars" and I am actually a member there as well. I used it to bid on shipping a camper from Ohio to Seattle, WA for someone back in 2004 and I ended up making a nice road trip out of it. The sad part was that I lost money on it (I took way too long to drive out there, but that was in part because I did some sight-seeing on the way out and back, since I had never been out that way before. I also ended up getting a flat tire on the trailer I was towing, so I had to pay to fix that and lost another day because of it.) Still, it ended up being a partially financed vacation for me. But since I lost money on that deal and figured everyone just goes with the cheapest bid on U-Ship and won't pay more for better service, I stopped using it and gave up. You actually lucked out that the tiller was delivered in good shape as from what I've seen on that "Shipping Wars" show, sometimes they don't always deliver everything in good condition! (They also frequently deliver things very late, but I'd rather have late and in perfect shape than early but in 1,000 pieces!) People don't realize that they get what they pay for and the cheapest bid isn't always the best one!

But, enough of my little diatribe there... Still, great score and I'm glad you were able to get that very rare tiller! Can't wait to see more pics of it and possibly video! :smilewink: Good luck with it!

Edited by MailmAn, October 09, 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 03:56 PM

When I go back to the repair shop later this week to pick up the neighbor's tractor, I will ask Jim if he has anything in his mountain of paperwork. 1958 Power Tiller is the model?

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 04:10 PM

When I go back to the repair shop later this week to pick up the neighbor's tractor, I will ask Jim if he has anything in his mountain of paperwork. 1958 Power Tiller is the model?

That would Be great Thanks!

This model was known as the "Power tiller" but the actual model# on the ID tag is 2071-01

Bolens also had a larger version of this called the "Badger" and that had a 6.6HP engine.

#6 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 06:25 PM

What a BEAST! Congrats on the new Bolens. it is super cool...can you imagine how neat it'll look restored...wow!!! Any plans?

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 06:34 PM

What a BEAST! Congrats on the new Bolens. it is super cool...can you imagine how neat it'll look restored...wow!!! Any plans?

This will probably be the next one to get restored. Thankfully all the decals are intact so I can get them made up. I got a couple NOS pieces from 58' that I can get scanned and have the original green mixed up.

I'll probably have some fun with it first and till in the spring to see how well she performs before it goes in for restoration.

On a side note:
Does anyone else think this is eerily similar to the Troy Bilt Horse tillers from the 70's-80's???
Its got the Reverse disc, 2 speed ranges, the engine pivots to engage the wheels/tines. I'm wondering if Troy Bilt originally based their tiller off this Bolens???

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:31 PM

Can't wait for the video, really cool it got there intact.
Doc, it couldn't have hoped for a better home.

Hey, That would make a great sign for your mailbox...

"Doc's Home for Wayward Bolens"

#9 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:41 PM

Happy you got her!

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:47 PM

Congrats on your new treasure. It's a great feeling, when all your planning, and efforts
come together, isn't it.

#11 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:58 PM

Great looking tiller!! Hope you enjoy it!!!

#12 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 09:08 PM

On a side note:
Does anyone else think this is eerily similar to the Troy Bilt Horse tillers from the 70's-80's???
Its got the Reverse disc, 2 speed ranges, the engine pivots to engage the wheels/tines. I'm wondering if Troy Bilt originally based their tiller off this Bolens???

I was driving past the local small engine shop and out of the corner of my eye I saw a red tiller very similar to the Bolens model. Didn't have time to stop and take a good look at it. So maybe that could be true. Alot of companies back in the 40s and 50s were ahead of their time in design and function of some of their machines.

Glad to see you got it in one piece!

#13 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 09:14 PM

That looks great. Congratulations on getting her home safe and at a good price. Glad to hear you had a good experience with Uship.

#14 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 11:33 PM

Bolens also had a larger version of this called the "Badger" and that had a 6.6HP engine.

Bolens also had a larger beast (Model 2080) that had a 9hp Wisconsin engine.

You need one of those now, too!
  • Bolens 1000 and MailmAn have said thanks

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 04:42 AM

Brian,congratulations on your "new" Bolens.