12 replies to this topic

#1 MR Simplicity 6111 OFFLINE  

MR Simplicity 6111
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 11137
  • 14 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 12:59 PM

I don't do it any more but i used to do professional karting. I had a Rotax Minimax with a Rotax 125cc water cooled 2 stroke single cylinder engine which could get me to 50mph depended on gearing and would race it round a mile long track in my best time of around 36 seconds.I wish i still did it as it was great fun.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0069.JPG
  • DSC_0074.JPG
  • DSC_0082.JPG

#2 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 01:21 PM

I bet it was fun! Must have been a half-mile track though. You would have to go 100 mph to go around a one mile track in 36 seconds.

Edited by achomesteader, October 09, 2012 - 01:22 PM.

• MR Simplicity 6111 said thank you

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 01:41 PM

That is cool! Never raced but have watched a lot. There is an 1/8 th mile dirt track here in Newton,Iowa where the IKF often runs the Sprint Kart Nationals. I go out often on weekends to watch. Iowa is second only to Pennesylvania in the number of tracks in the state(only two paved tracks in the state. Oh Newton is also the home of Iowa Speedway, And The Nationwide and Truck races are televised from those events.
In case you have not guessed I've been a Nascar Fan since Wide World of Sports televised the first nascar race.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 09, 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#4 MR Simplicity 6111 OFFLINE  

MR Simplicity 6111
  • GTt Junior
  • 14 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 03:11 PM

I bet it was fun! Must have been a half-mile track though. You would have to go 100 mph to go around a one mile track in 36 seconds.

Good point! i found out it is 815m long

#5 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 09:29 PM

I don't do it any more but i used to do professional karting. I had a Rotax Minimax with a Rotax 125cc water cooled 2 stroke single cylinder engine which could get me to 50mph depended on gearing and would race it round a mile long track in my best time of around 36 seconds.I wish i still did it as it was great fun.

Well, yeah I did a lot of karting but not quite as sophisticated as you did! That sounds like a real adrenalin rush! I had a banked 300 foot dirt oval in the back yard we raced on for 15 years, closing it up in 2000. Actually the track is still there, I just run laps around it on a Massey Ferguson now. My last kart is still hanging on the rafters of my shop. My brother in law and I built our own karts and even some for customers. It was a very redneck deal, helmets optional and no limit on how much beer you could drink between races!

That is cool! Never raced but have watched a lot. There is an 1/8 th mile dirt track here in Newton,Iowa where the IKF often runs the Sprint Kart Nationals. I go out often on weekends to watch. Iowa is second only to Pennesylvania in the number of tracks in the state(only two paved tracks in the state. Oh Newton is also the home of Iowa Speedway, And The Nationwide and Truck races are televised from those events.
In case you have not guessed I've been a Nascar Fan since Wide World of Sports televised the first nascar race.

Man that is a hotbed of racin! I was involved with dirt track stock car racing for dang near 40 years and even worked for a local team that ran 4 Winston Cup races in 1974 and 1975. I got my first subscription to Stock Car Racing magazine in 1966 at 10 years old and still dig the sport more than ever to this day!

Here are a few pics.
1 going backwards down the back chute on the MF12
2 engine stuffed in a corner
3 and 4 old kart hanging on the shop wall

Attached Thumbnails

• My old go kart 001.jpg
  • My old go kart 003.jpg
  • My old go kart 002.jpg
  • Mowin with the MF12.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, October 23, 2012 - 10:35 PM.

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,622 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 07:15 AM

How do they decide what is an acceptible engine? When I was a kid, Macs were the way to go. Now, I hear they are using hoped up Briggs 5 HPs.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 11:39 AM

There is really no difinitive answer to that question. While most Tracks run under IKF(International Karting Federation) guidelines, each track runs it's own rules and variations of IKF rules(at least in some classes). Usually they are not so different that you can run at several tracks in your area.
There are 4 stroke & two stroke classes and the classes are further broken down by drivers age and weight limitations and in some cases pump gas or open fuel. I was going to post a link to the Newton Kart Club site, but upon checking most of their rules are not posted at this time. I suspect since the season is over, they are writing up any revisions to the rules for next year season. So owners and builders have them to go by for next season.

And yes The Briggs 5 hp is probably the most common 4 stroke. The youngest drivers run them pretty much stock. But there are classes where they are modified, and you have to see them to believe the HP they pull.
I think the Yamaha 2 stroke Kart motor is still the most common 2 stroke these days.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 24, 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#8 MR Simplicity 6111 OFFLINE  

MR Simplicity 6111
  • GTt Junior
  • 14 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 10:09 AM

Well, yeah I did a lot of karting but not quite as sophisticated as you did! That sounds like a real adrenalin rush! I had a banked 300 foot dirt oval in the back yard we raced on for 15 years, closing it up in 2000. Actually the track is still there, I just run laps around it on a Massey Ferguson now. My last kart is still hanging on the rafters of my shop. My brother in law and I built our own karts and even some for customers. It was a very redneck deal, helmets optional and no limit on how much beer you could drink between races!

Man that is a hotbed of racin! I was involved with dirt track stock car racing for dang near 40 years and even worked for a local team that ran 4 Winston Cup races in 1974 and 1975. I got my first subscription to Stock Car Racing magazine in 1966 at 10 years old and still dig the sport more than ever to this day!

Here are a few pics.
1 going backwards down the back chute on the MF12
2 engine stuffed in a corner
3 and 4 old kart hanging on the shop wall

Just looking at the kart i can see it was a redneck deal!

#9 MR Simplicity 6111 OFFLINE  

MR Simplicity 6111
  • GTt Junior
  • 14 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 10:10 AM

How do they decide what is an acceptible engine? When I was a kid, Macs were the way to go. Now, I hear they are using hoped up Briggs 5 HPs.

Well over here in the uk they use Honda gx160's for the engines for a class which is called 'Honda cadets'. But there is strict rules and regulations along with scrutineering before races.

Edited by MR Simplicity 6111, October 25, 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 04:56 AM

I bet that was a lot of fun.

#11 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 07:02 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

the same cart in bothe pics just a different body for the 2nd season which i never ran also after the motor was all rebuilt

#12 MR Simplicity 6111 OFFLINE  

MR Simplicity 6111
  • GTt Junior
  • 14 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 03:03 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

the same cart in bothe pics just a different body for the 2nd season which i never ran also after the motor was all rebuilt

Thats a fancy looking kart! But going round the pits wouldn't the front wheels catch on the bodywork?

#13 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 01:22 PM

i never ran it with the red and blue body(petty themed) i swapped it off beofore i raced it