Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Satoh With A Fel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 07:58 PM

No idea the value....but looked to be a good deal.
http://springfield.c...3325826058.html

#2 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:33 AM

Man, that thing is a beast!!!!

#3 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 11:23 AM

I would think it would be a decent price... i don't know anything about the tractor but the loader (if working properly) would be worth half of the asking price to me. It looks to be pretty much just like my kubota.

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 01:47 PM

That is a good price. Those are a good little machine,I'm pretty sure that model runs a Category 0 hitch.
The biggest drawback to the Satoh is that it has a counter rotating PTO. Making it harder to find PTO driven implements to fit it.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 02:57 PM

always thought one of those would be nice, and they seem to run cheaper when for sale. Thinking maybe a dealer/parts network is now gone for support?? I've never seen anyone edvertise them? Reversed pto? What were they thinking?? Have to buy Their attachments, more sales? Are those Jap, Korean, something else??

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Member No: 8002
  • 11,691 Thanks
  • 8,886 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 04:16 PM

always thought one of those would be nice, and they seem to run cheaper when for sale. Thinking maybe a dealer/parts network is now gone for support?? I've never seen anyone edvertise them? Reversed pto? What were they thinking?? Have to buy Their attachments, more sales? Are those Jap, Korean, something else??

Satoh was on their own until 1980, then bought out by Mitsubishi. Made in Japan. Parts are available through them.

#7 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 04:23 PM

I considered them when I was looking for a small tractor and fel....one of the draw backs was the ccw rotation of the rear pto on some if not all models. From what I remember those that owned them were satisfied with them. I decided on the Yanmar because of Cat 1 , 540 rpm rear pto, good feedback from owners, and the right price for what I was looking for.
I believe there was a guy/business in Roanoke or Danville Va that offered parts, etc for the Satoh's. Seems like he was a dealer since the 80's maybe earlier for these models.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 05:36 PM

Well honestly I did not mean to drop a bomb on the Satoh. Though the counter clockwise PTO is something to think about.
I spent the past 2 yrs researching Compact Tractors and knew about the PTO. Kubota has one older model with the CCW PTO the B6000.
Back in the 50's there was a lot of debate over the correct direction to rotate the PTO. Farmall Cub is CCW also.

A couple weeks ago when I bought my Ford 1500, there were 4 other tractors on my list to look at within 70 miles of me.
The Yanmar 155D was eliminated dur to problems with the front axle it was MFWD. There were 2 Kubota B6200 E, that I did not get to look at before I found the Ford.
And there was a Mitsubishi S370 a later version of the Satoh Beaver. Like Cat 385B pointed out Mitsubishi made the engines for Satoh and then bought them out.
I am not sure how far into the production they made a bolt on PTO reversing gearbox. So the Misubishi turns clockwise.
I don't know if that woud be reverse compatible for the Beaver or not. But know of a guy on another forum who owns both Satoh Beaver amd Misubishi 370 who has bought one and is working on it.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 09, 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#9 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 06:06 PM

The only concern with ccw is what you brought up as its weakness as well. It is harder to find rotary motors and other implements to fit. Not a deal breaker, but it is a hurdle

I also had my Yanmar 147 that I used as a mower. Would have loved to have found a tiller or it, but finding a 2000rpm tiller or a cat 0 implement can be a little more challenging. Not the reason I sold it ( too many gt's in the yard and had the 187d as well was the reason). These small CUT's are great for what they were designed to do. One of my needs was the ability to transport it to my land with the tow vehicle I had, which was an older expedition, the smaller tractor fit that need. Less than 2500 lbs, it is much easier to pull, yet still moves dirt, mows brush, etc.

For the money they are asking for this satoh, if it is mechanically sound, could be a good introductory piece for someone to learn on.
My 187D has given me the chance to learn how to operate and repair one at a fraction of the cost for a much larger tractor.