#1 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 06:33 PM

I got this little Gem this afternoon.WOW is it Heavy.I thought my Cub 149 was heavy.Not even close to this one.

I paid a bit to much for it but I'll make her pretty again.I have a good start on a good tractor though.

It needs a solenoid and ignition switch and 1 rear hub (it's split) and I'm pretty sure there is a missing linkage or 2 that goes to the snow blower.

It's Gear Drive with a heavy 4 speed Peerless trans-axle.It's got a drive shaft that goes to a heavy R/H gear box and then has a 5/8 belt down to the rear.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0051.JPG
  • IMAG0053.JPG
  • IMAG0052.JPG
  • IMAG0054.JPG
  • IMAG0057.JPG
  • IMAG0055.JPG
  • IMAG0056.JPG

Edited by EricFromPa, October 08, 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 07:06 PM

Boy, that thing is a beast, isn't it? Congrats on a nice looking GT.

The blower looks near identical to Ryan's MF blower, drive's on the other side, but must be cousins.
  • EricFromPa said thank you

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 08:18 PM

I can tell it's heavier than my Cub 149 because when I was swapping the rear tires out the Jack tipped over.When my little jack tipped over on the 149 I just grabbed the fender and set it back up on the jack.I couldn't muster enough grunt to even lift it off of the tipped jack.Had to use a 4x4 and a big chunk of fire wood to lift it up.

I'm going to paint her up but I'm stuck between a few different combinations.Either Canary Yellow and Gun Metal Metallic grey or Ford Blue with Gun Metal Metallic grey.I'm not a big fan of the Mustard color it has on it.

I like the Yellow 990 that's on the Forums.And I really like the Ford blue that I used on my old Monkey Ward.Wonder what Allis Chalmers Orange would look like on her?I have almost a gallon that needs used.Painted our WD45 a couple years ago.And used a whole gallon and about a 1/4 of another one.We wanted the paint on THICK so it would withstand the beatings it gets down at the farm.

Edited by EricFromPa, October 08, 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#4 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 10:43 PM

Nice tractor. The deck looks very similar to the one on my White 1650 (MTD 990). Looks like you have the B&S engine as well... how many HP is it?

My White is also much heavier than my Cubs... a little longer wheelbase, but the frame is heavier, too, I think...

At any rate, enjoy, and keep us posted as you get her going again...

Regards,

Steve

#5 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 06:18 AM

Good looking Wizard! Congrats on the find! Posted Image

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 07:52 AM

Looks great. Congratulations. It doesn't sound like you have much to do to get it back into shape.

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 05:59 PM

I have a seat for on it that's "Yellow" and in good condition but I have to make a Plate to convert it from 4 bolt to 1 big bolt and nut.

I'm having a heck of a time finding a rear Hub for it.There's a couple Wheel Horse 1 1/8 hubs on Ebay but at $50 a set I'm thinking of trying to weld the original one back together.

I got it to fire up for a couple seconds today.Sounds OK but it literally only ran for a couple seconds with the choke on.I need to clean the carb and go through the wiring.It's got a wire missing that hooks to the regulator but the rest of the wiring looks OK.

Here is the original add for it on Ebay.I didn't give him any cash for it.I traded a few biger things for it but I'm happy with it other than a few missing parts.
http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

Edited by EricFromPa, October 09, 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#8 undertaker OFFLINE  

undertaker
  • Member No: 11394
  • 67 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 07:04 PM

I think that I have that same tractor 1970 Viking Imperial 14 hundred made by MTD ...built like a tank ...

Attached Thumbnails

• 014.jpg
  • 015.jpg

• EricFromPa and sacsr have said thanks

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 03:52 PM

Undertaker That's a very nice Fourteen Hundred.Looks identical to mine other than yours is ALOT cleaner and shiny. I wish I could of got the seat and back rest with the tractor.He took it off and put it on his old Sears Super 12.

Do you mow with it?I see it also has the Sleeve hitch on the back.Wonder if they were standard equipment on these old gurls.

Does yours have the front PTO pulley for a snow blower?I have the stub shaft on mine but no pulley.Would you mind measuring the pulley for me if yours has one?

Thanks
Eric

Edited by EricFromPa, October 11, 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 04:09 PM

Nice tractor. The deck looks very similar to the one on my White 1650 (MTD 990). Looks like you have the B&S engine as well... how many HP is it?

My White is also much heavier than my Cubs... a little longer wheelbase, but the frame is heavier, too, I think...

At any rate, enjoy, and keep us posted as you get her going again...

Regards,

Steve

She has a Cast Iron 14hp Briggs and Stratton Single Cylinder engine. The deck reminds me of my old Bolens deck.It's a Solid old gurl for sure.

Why does Spell check insist that I typed (Castration) instead of Stratton? lol

I think I may have figured out my Intermediate spark issue.There's a Huge mouse Hotel in the Blower housing.There was stuff blowing out everywhere when I cranked her over this morning.Guess I gota rip her all apart.I'll take Pics lol.

#11 undertaker OFFLINE  

undertaker
  • 67 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 06:21 PM

Sure no problem may be a while before I get to it swamped at waork and have two new GT's to look at as well. But i will get it for you.

#12 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 07:31 PM

The MTD hubs are kinda unique, the split has a pinch bolt to hold them in place and if someone over tightens they crack and brake at the spilt. They can be hard to find ,most people sell them with the rear instead of seperatly.

#13 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 07:40 PM

I got this little Gem this afternoon.WOW is it Heavy.I thought my Cub 149 was heavy.Not even close to this one.

I paid a bit to much for it but I'll make her pretty again.I have a good start on a good tractor though.

It needs a solenoid and ignition switch and 1 rear hub (it's split) and I'm pretty sure there is a missing linkage or 2 that goes to the snow blower.

It's Gear Drive with a heavy 4 speed Peerless trans-axle.It's got a drive shaft that goes to a heavy R/H gear box and then has a 5/8 belt down to the rear.

You can never pay too much for a GT if you like it that's the only thing that matters

#14 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 09:19 PM

I'm looking for a set of 1 1/8 inch 5 lug Wheel Horse hubs with 2 set screws.They will work perfectly but the cheapest set I can find on Ebay is $60.That's a bit much for a set of hubs.

I'm going to call Bob (bhts) as soon as I get a chance.I've been pretty busy the last couple days.But I have to get this thing running before the snow flies.

Edited by EricFromPa, October 13, 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#15 undertaker OFFLINE  

undertaker
  • 67 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 06:28 PM

Measured that pulley as best I could with out taking off the grill seems to be 4 3/8" with two grooves for two belts. hope that helps.