• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 05:22 PM

I am needing to change the oil in my 2418. Could someone tell me what the capacity for it is? Also do you check the oil with the dipstick pushed all the way in OR with it sitting on the end of the rubber at top?

Since I have had this tractor (3 weeks) I have checked and topped off all of the fluid levels. All of them were near full and looked pretty good but I do have one problem. On the left side the gear box between the rear end and wheel (I don't know what it is called) has a significant leak. The gasket is obviously shot. I have tightened the bolts to see if that would help any but it did not. Are these new gaskets available somewhere AND most importantly how hard is it to take it apart and reassemble?

Thanks in advance for any help
Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• tractor j peg.jpg

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 08:04 PM

Is this what's leaking ?

Attached Thumbnails

• P1040010.JPG

#3 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 10:14 PM

You got it. The large part like yours that has grease on the bottom on mine is leaking. It is to much for me just to ignore it and add some oil now and then. I need to fix it since I am fixing everything else I can find on the tractor that needs fixing. Do you know how much of a job it is to fix and is the gasket available somewhere?
Mike

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 05:52 AM

I have a thread of this repair in the PK section . You might be able to repair or make a gasket with silcone gasket maker . Mine riped and used a sealer , also check those 7/16" once you remove the outer cover those have to be sealed too or oil will leak . Hardest part doing mine was the tires are loaded and 100lb of steel weights on ea. too.
http://gardentractor...noise-was-from/

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 06:56 AM

If you have the type of dip stick that threads into the block, you DO NOT thread it in to check the oil level. The manual says the engine takes about 2 qts unless you have a k361A which takes 1 1/2 qts. I don't think that's what you have though. Email me at pond1954@yahoo.com and I'll send you some information that will be useful to you. It's not the full manual but it is a smaller manual that should help you keep that engine running well.
  • Buggyman said thank you

#6 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 10:35 AM

Tractorholic, Thank you for the pictures. That is very helpful. Also, David Brown, I certainly will appreciate anything you have will help me out. I appreciate the offer.

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 03:08 PM

Leave the HUB on the axle, it won't come off! Take axle and outer cover off as a unit. Would be nice to change the seal under brake drum too, they are usually bad. Hardest part is getting drums off. Clean out cavity while there. Watch for any shims or spacers on axle shaft and replace them in same order. A little grease on gears is good IF you clean them. If not cleaned, probly enough residue on them for reassembly till full of gear oil. Mission Manufacturing in Sothern IN has gaskets and parts for PK. Some use silicone, I hate working with it and way it looks when all squeezed out, and like a gasket still if I use that. I like old fashioned Indian Head compound and only enough to hold in place during assembly. maybe some along bottom both sides. You could make the gasket IF you can find paper tht large in stores.

#8 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 06:47 PM

glgrumpy, What is the part and gasket actually called? I don't want to end up with the wrong thing just because I don't know what to ask for.
Thanks again

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 05:32 PM

First thing you really need to do is get that green and yellow MOLD off the tractor. I see orig orange trying to come thru on hood! :poke: :tapping_fingers: I have a CD with info, takes a while to look up. On yahoogroups.com/Power King is a fella named Larry Goss thtat sells a thumbdrive with all the PK info you can find on it. Only $10 and every PK'er should have one. Look him up. Think maybe his email address is on late post here if you search some. Even on here is small manuals you can download and have parts blow-ups I believe and numbers are shown too.

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 05:50 PM

Here's Real help then, maybe!

Mission Manufacturing
324 North Brown
PO box 106
Princeton, IN 47670

812-385-5061

My thumb drive shows :
Side Cover Gasket 02-2507
Brake Seal 82-0063 or size is 5/8" ID x 1-1/8" OD if you wanna source somewhere else. About 1/4" thick

Larry Goss email
rlgoss@insightbb.com
Ask for PK thumb drive, tell him G.L. Grumpy sent you.

Edited by glgrumpy, October 10, 2012 - 05:55 PM.

#11 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 06:09 PM

Thanks to everyone for the help. I will certainly use the information.

glgrumpy, As i strip this tractor I find that it has been painted green twice in its life and did see the orange underneath. I don't know what age you are but you must have forgotten the evolution of the tractor industry. I am sure you recall how many companies combined in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. such as Allis Chambers, Oliver, White, etc. You may not recall when in the late 70's John Deere bought out Economy for a short time. All of the in stock inventory was painted John Deere green and sold as JD Trol's. A short time later the Economy/Trol branch was sold off to Power King. So this tractor is not moldy green as you aledge but a very rare example of tractor history, and worth a huge amount of money. At least this is what the owner told me when he sold it to me! He was able to verify all this on the internet so I know it must be true. :dancingbanana:

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 03:37 PM

Been on the PK Yahoo forum for years and have heard all the history about PK and economy. YOURS is first I ever heard of JD owning it. I think you are incorrect on that. Economy started in 46 and went to a few WI locations. They built tractors for other people along the way. Name change was within that same company. PK near end when into hydros and such in early 90's went to several buyers, Yazoo-Keyes, and others, but never heard of JD owning. Mission Manufacturing owns all the rights to PK now. No one is actually making the tractors anymore, about 97 was last ones sold and many were left-overs from other makers tries to revive.

#13 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 08:38 PM

JUST KIDDING !!!! You know far more than I ever will about these tractors and have no doubt you are correct regarding their history. I just came up with the story I sent you in reaction to the MOLD you mentioned, just to justify my tractor being green. I thought my justification at least sounded good even though is all BS. I have had several comments from members of the forum that the tractor probably does not have the resale value in green that it would have in the original orange. They are probably correct about that. I intend to take it to tractor shows to provide a conversation piece. I had it at a gathering a couple weeks ago and it certainly got attention from people... some thinking it was really a John Deere and others knew it was not but could not figure out what it is. Even though I would prefer that it were orange, Right now I am enjoying it in green more than I would if it were orange. It may end up orange again some day but not in the near future.

Thanks again for the information about the gasket you provided. It will be very helpful.

I was able to buy a nearly new brinly plow today off craig's list that was only 20 miles from home. Sadly I just missed a 4 ft. double row 3 point disk that I would have loved to have. Luckily the plow is painted black so I don't have to decide about what color to paint it.

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 08:43 PM

OK! You Got Me! Didn't see the "Joke" part in message at first. "Never-Mind"! :ah_shoot: