#1 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6157
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 05:13 PM

This past weekend I picked up a QT-17 really cheap. The reason it was inexpensive, is because there is a hole in the side of the engine block. This appears to be the problematic Kohler KT-17 twin series 1 engine that had oiling problems. I haven't been able to start it, but seller told me it ran (probably on 1 cylinder). The engine cranks over just fine.

This is a really heavy-duty and solid tractor.

Now, what can I do with it? I am on the lookout for a KT-17 Series 2 motor and/or suitable replacement.

Does anyone know what other motors would fit well in place of a KT-17?

I am also thinking about repairing the existing motor, even though it is a series 1. I guess the oiling problems only occurred when the tractor was mowing on an incline where it starved for oil.

This looks to be a potentially fun tractor to fix and have.

- Mark

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG2220.jpg
  • IMAG2221.jpg
  • IMAG2223.jpg

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 05:42 PM

This past weekend I picked up a QT-17 really cheap. The reason it was inexpensive, is because there is a hole in the side of the engine block. This appears to be the problematic Kohler KT-17 twin series 1 engine that had oiling problems. I haven't been able to start it, but seller told me it ran (probably on 1 cylinder). The engine cranks over just fine.

This is a really heavy-duty and solid tractor.

Now, what can I do with it? I am on the lookout for a KT-17 Series 2 motor and/or suitable replacement.

Does anyone know what other motors would fit well in place of a KT-17?

I am also thinking about repairing the existing motor, even though it is a series 1. I guess the oiling problems only occurred when the tractor was mowing on an incline where it starved for oil.

This looks to be a potentially fun tractor to fix and have.

- Mark

a kohler magnum will bolt in place there not cheep the i have heard of converting the verticals to run as horizontal most engines will fit if it were mine i would find a kohler command twin there quiet and are good on fuel also there fairly reasonable 200-600 used or you could be like my friend and steal one for 25 bucks (runs pretty nice )
keep us posted
Cheers
Tyler
  • markdombroski said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 08:37 PM

Once bought a PK 1617 and it ran and drove off the trailer when he got here. later found big hole in block, and NO oil in it!! Bought cases and parts on epay, but could never find good pistons and rods to rebuild. Have another same model, but someone put in an 18hp Kohler, maybe a Magnum? Bolts right in and is tougher engine all together. I have also put a single K engine, 16hp, into a bigger PK that once had same KT17. Had to move engine back some, but mount plate in frame has diff bolt holes for it too and bolted in and had to move hydr. pump back some to align also. Can do alot of changes. Best bet for same dimensions of crank size and height is probly to stay with same brand. With a driveshaft, not so critical, it can take some offset.

#4 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 11:03 AM

I am taking a look at the Magnum engines on eBay. They are expensive!

I am also seriously looking at a replacement KT17QS block. I am wondering if I can take a Series II block and use my existing cylinder sleeves?

Thoughts on this?

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 05:16 PM

How about an Onan
http://classifieds.p...adindex=1920874

Or maybe a nice Briggs and Stratton opposed twin?

I love the Onans but they are gas hawgs and have problematic Carbs.

My favorite of all the twin cylinders has to be the Briggs and Stratton.They run smooth have hellva lot of low end grunt and are really easy on fuel.

#6 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 05:28 PM

How about an Onan
http://classifieds.p...adindex=1920874

Or maybe a nice Briggs and Stratton opposed twin?

I love the Onans but they are gas hawgs and have problematic Carbs.

My favorite of all the twin cylinders has to be the Briggs and Stratton.They run smooth have hellva lot of low end grunt and are really easy on fuel.

i have a upgraded briggs and stratton 16 twin im my bolens h14 i will tell you that thing will go any where and pull any thing it runs nice and even with a home-made muffler its quiet and it has a nice sound with a load on it i would say its twice as quiet as the old tecumseh

#7 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 06:30 PM

Briggs may be a good solution. I have a Briggs 18 twin from a Sears FF/18 tractor that needs some level of service. I will have to take a look at this as an option.

#8 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 06:32 PM

Briggs may be a good solution. I have a Briggs 18 twin from a Sears FF/18 tractor that needs some level of service. I will have to take a look at this as an option.

i thought the ff were rare as heck ?

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 09:27 PM

Didn't the FF/18 come with an Onan originally?Maybe it was a replacement engine.
My neighbor has an FF/20 that I've been trying to get off of him but he won't let it go.

There were quite a few aluminum bore opposed twin Briggs engines produced.I would steer clear of them if at all possible.It is possible to make a Non pressure lubed Vertical 20.5hp cast iron bore opposed twin Briggs into a Horizontal engine.So you can take a nice cheap Craigslist $50 engine and make a beast out of it.

#10 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 11:12 PM

i thought the ff were rare as heck ?

They are rare, but the FF/18 I have is for parts only and is not in any shape to restore. I picked it up for $70 for the steering gears from my FF/20. It also has a good hydraulic lift and transmission. The Briggs motor does not turn over, it may be completely frozen or just needs some care. Either way, I will take a look at it in my shop as it may work for the Bolens.

#11 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 11:15 PM

Didn't the FF/18 come with an Onan originally?Maybe it was a replacement engine.
My neighbor has an FF/20 that I've been trying to get off of him but he won't let it go.

There were quite a few aluminum bore opposed twin Briggs engines produced.I would steer clear of them if at all possible.It is possible to make a Non pressure lubed Vertical 20.5hp cast iron bore opposed twin Briggs into a Horizontal engine.So you can take a nice cheap Craigslist $50 engine and make a beast out of it.

Eric, thank you for the advices on the aluminum bore twin. I always thought that the FF tractors had Onan engines. I believe that the FF/18 models had the Briggs and the FF/20 and FF/24 had the Onan engines.

I am still on the lookout as to what I want to do regarding the Bolens.