16 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 11:49 AM

On electric lifts.? Either 3ph or mid lifts? I've got several actuators floating around.

Sent from my HTC One X

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 12:04 PM

Sure would beat a manual lift!

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 12:08 PM

The electric lifts can be hard on the charging system. If I use the one of my CC129 quite a bit like tilling the garden, it will heat up the S/G. I think that's what burnt it up the last time.

#4 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 01:35 PM

Wonder how they would do on a rectifier system. I think I'll use one for the sleeve hitch on the allis for the up coming plow day.

Sent from my HTC One X

#5 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 06:28 PM

Don't know about your tractor's electrical system, but I love the one on my Johnny Bucket Jr.! No strain or pain on the charging system. The gen light will show when I pick up the bucket right after tractor hasn't been in use for a day or so, but the next hoist the light stays off. I could wind up the engine more for that first one, however I'm still a "slow warmer-upper".

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 06:34 PM

I think that member wvbuzzmaster (Casey) added a GM alternator to his Caterpillar to offset the problem of overtaxing the electrical system with the electric lift he added. Hopefully he'll be along to share more of the details.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 06:43 PM

The battery should have all the reserve in the world to operate the lift, so I don't understand why it would tax the charge system, except used a lot, would drain the battery. The charge system shouldn't be harmed, as they are designed to put out a max amount for extended periods.

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 07:02 PM

Well, someone has forced me to chip in (thanks Steve haha). I am using a 2000 # electric winch to lift the sleeve hitch on my Caterpillar (Craftsman) GT. I added a 37 amp Delco Remy (3 wire GM) alternator to the tractor for 3 reasons. The first was to offset the fact that my charging system wasn't working to begin with, second, my winch had more power demands, and third.. it is an over the counter part at just about every auto parts store. My goal with the tractor has been a well rounded working tractor, and part of the requirements of that was all parts had to be automotive lol. It works great, and the only flaw is that the lawn and garden battery is ever good enough to outlast my abuse to it which includes using it in a deep cycle fashion to winch heavy loads indoors with the tractor not running lol. Other than that (small usage violation) you would be all set. Search for "Caterpillar sleeve hitch" and you will find a couple threads more in depth.

#9 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 07:13 PM

You need a bigger battery, it's the Battery that powers you electrical attachments, the Alternator or Generator charge the battery.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 07:19 PM

I can,t say i have ever used one, but I like the idea. My Murray Yard Pro seems like a good candidate and when i get a sleeve hitch made for it the actuator is in the plans. I have several ideas I have stolen over time i would like to work int the plan. I saw a guy on another site use a 2 inch reciever to mount the actuator and I like the quick removal snap in system used on the Johnny hitch.
The combination would allow one to remove the hitch and actuator and store it out of the weather when not in use and a trailer light connection would make it all quick.

#11 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 08:33 PM

I use a deep cycle battery for a boat on my 129. It has a 2000# winch to raise and lower the snow plow. I have never had a problem with the s/g heating up and when I am done with the winch I let the tractor run for a bit to charge the battery.

Geno

#12 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 02:39 PM

from what I've read regarding what battery to use for winching (in the off-roading community) all of the experts claim that a normal car battery is better for winching than a deep cell. Supposedly deep cells are designed to drain long and slow whereas car batteries are designed to take a sudden hit (inrush) of several hundred amps (starting an engine or sucking in a winch). Of course the winches we use are a minimum of 8000 pounds.

my take, if you need more juice for winching get a bigger normal style battery. if you want to be able to run your radio and rock lights for hours with the engine not running get a deep cell and have it isolated.

I know for large winches, relying on an alt to run it is not good. If anything it will kill the altinator. Besides even bigger alts only put out between 130 and 160 amps. my jeeps winch sucks a little over 400 amps at start.

Edited by twostep, October 11, 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#13 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 02:49 PM

That makes sense twostep. I'll know shortly how it works

Sent from my HTC One X

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 05:57 PM

I have the HF 2000 # Winch mounted to mine to raise and lower the sleeve hitch & box scrapper. I also use it to pull tractors (that are not running out of the compound up a small hill. All I have is the original battery (11 years old) and the charging system that came with it. When Ii operate the winch I can see the hit on the amp meter but it charges for a couple of seconds and then returns to a low charge.

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 05:03 AM

On any tractor that has room, I use an automotive battery. Then if I use something with a 'high draw', it doesn't tax the system too hard.
  • twostep said thank you