coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:47 AM

Well here is the story and my line of thinking. I have been working on this 1650 on and off for almost a year. The engine is what has been giving me trouble, it runs but it will try to shake itself apart. I have taken it apart and removed the balance gears and I did do a few measurements. All of them indicated that the engine was almost out of spec for wear. I still put it back together and put it on but the symptoms reappeared. This GT was used in a very sandy area for all of its life. So I have been stuck with a tractor that is ready to go back togther and an engine that aint right. I need this thing to be mobile so I can get it out of the shop and use it and make room for other projects.

I want to have the engine bored and do a rebuild but time and money are very tight right now. Tractor funds are depleted and other bills need to be paid. I am expecting to have some tractor funds back at the beginning of the year but I dont want it sitting in the shop until then.

So here is where the "good idea fairy" has made a visit. I have a Case 220 that I saved from the scrap yard. For me its not the case that I want and it islittle too far gone for me to tackle it as a resto,but the engine is good. I pulled the engine yesterday and I am going to see if I can make it work on the snapper. I really havent taken any measurements to see if it would work but I figured it will,if not nothing is lost. I think 10HP will be ok in this tractor since it will not be a mower, just a garden and yard worker.

I will keep yall posted so we can see if this works or not.

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 09:01 AM

Are the pans the same? Thinking case has small pan and needs rubber mount tray and yours doesn't? Wait, maybe it does have rubber mount tray like my ONAN one did?? the 1650 I had was just bare bolted and had bigger pan, maybe 55 is diff? That and shaft size and ability to mount the drive shaft on flywheel side would be biggest items I think. Make sure height of base to shaft is at least close also. Controls/cables may need some tweaking?