sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:14 AM

Instead of trying to re-invent the wheel, I figured I would ask the experts. How do you hold items to paint? Especially light weight items and rims that want to twist and turn while I am painting. Your tips?

#2 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:25 AM

make something to hold it from above then get or make some S hooks and 'shoot' away...GL

I'm not an expert, but the painters at work are and that is how they do it!

Edited by NutCASE, October 07, 2012 - 08:26 AM.

#3 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:32 AM

I have a frame made out of 2x4 that is about 5ft tall and 6ft wide. I used heavy "fence" nails ( U shaped ) nailed under the top boards and hang what I am spraying with wire hooks or chain with a hook on the end from that. Maybe have to make 1 of the hangers more stationary and firm up how it is hooked on the frame.

#4 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:46 AM

Cheapy option for me is, making use of the old wire clothes hangers that come from the dry cleaners or are readily donated from the ladyfolk who no longer care to use em. Snip lengths to 'suit' your needs, bend, shape &anchor. And then toss em in a box for future projects.
  • sacsr said thank you

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 09:06 AM

Wire on nails on sawhorses, hanging on engine crane, laying on boards in drive, anyplace! Would think if they are moving you must need two wires. Little stuff DOES swing some, but not a problem really. Your gun must give quite a blast to move parts much. My bigger ones just kinda stay in place.
  • sacsr said thank you

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 02:40 PM

Cheapy option for me is, making use of the old wire clothes hangers that come from the dry cleaners or are readily donated from the ladyfolk who no longer care to use em. Snip lengths to 'suit' your needs, bend, shape &anchor. And then toss em in a box for future projects.

I get uniforms from a uniform rental company. I get 10 hanger each week. They don't want/need them returned, so I use them for all kinds of things....Including hanging items from the tree so I can paint them.....Yes, I said tree!
  • sacsr said thank you

#7 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 10:57 AM

I get uniforms from a uniform rental company. I get 10 hanger each week. They don't want/need them returned, so I use them for all kinds of things....Including hanging items from the tree so I can paint them.....Yes, I said tree!

Gives a whole new meaning to "fall colors".

Hangers is what I use, as well.
  • sacsr said thank you

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 11:02 AM

On rims & lots of other parts, I use any flat clean surface, then cover with waxed paper taped down. When using hardener, I paint the back side of the rims first, then in just a half hour or so, flip them over & paint the other side. That is only when using hardener, as you can usually handle them in a half hour to 45 minutes. Pot life on paint with hardener is 1 to 2 hours, depending on temps, so it's no problem painting one side, waiting, then flipping to paint the other side.

Edited to add: The paint even with hardener can stick to surfaces, but the waxed paper releases easily. Some flat indentations can still occur, but hardly noticeable. But best to paint the back sides of parts first, so the frontal part that is seen will definitely be free of any impressions.
  • sacsr said thank you

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 12:45 PM

Hang a piece of 3/4" conduit or steel natural gas pipe from your shed or garage rafters, floor joists, whatever, and use metal shower curtain hooks, that will slide on the conduit. Use heavey duty hanger wire (like mentioned above) to hang your pieces from the shower curtain hooks. When you are done spraying a piece, simply slide it away, and start spraying the next piece.
  • sacsr and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 12:50 PM

For large flat pieces, my system works great to help prevent runs. Hanging promotes running if you get too much paint on.
  • sacsr said thank you