• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 07:23 AM

Cool video, but I can't be on my knees like that. So I made a 'holder' for those little wheels.
Image017.jpg
  • MH81 and Delmar have said thanks

#3 wawcub47 OFFLINE  

wawcub47

• Member No: 852
  • 68 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:12 AM

been changing tires for years and i learned a new trick. thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:58 AM

Thats how I have been changing my tires for years.
The guy sure made breaking the bead on the "old" tire look easy..... I would like to see him actually try and break the bead on a 40+ year old goodyear tire :D Not a brand new thin chinese tire he used to make the how to video

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 09:21 AM

Did notice a whee bit'o shreading on tire( close to bead) at end of clip...careful with your tools.

#6 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 09:34 AM

Thats how I have been changing my tires for years.
The guy sure made breaking the bead on the "old" tire look easy..... I would like to see him actually try and break the bead on a 40+ year old goodyear tire :D Not a brand new thin chinese tire he used to make the how to video

I agree with you. I used to have an old 149 that had rotted out back tires on it. I bought new ag tires to replace them. No matter how hard tried, I could not get the bead to break on them. I ended up using a sawzall to cut the tires in half, then I used a bolt cutter to cut the bead wire. One real important thing to remember is to wire brush the inside rims of your wheels very well before you put your new tires back on. This will help to prevent bead leak too.

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 09:38 AM

Well, never that easy on my old junk tires! That visegrip idea might be answer to one of my problems of popping off when trying to get last bead on. I have a tire changer tool, is up higher, but trouble getting new tire on even with it. Off isn't bad and tire bead breaker is great on it. I also have tire tools, drivers can make holes or tears you don't want to have if forced too hard.

Second best methond.....Remove tire/wheel, load in truck. Drive to tire store. Leave store for errands, come back later and load tire in truck, load store's cash register, return home and remount the wheel/tire assembly! Easiest way I've found yet! :D
  • Delmar said thank you

#8 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 09:52 AM

I just take mine down to a friends tire shop. Much easier on my back. I tried to break one tire off at home and it wouldn't budge in my manual breaker. Took it to his shop and his machine had trouble with it.

IF someone clamped vice grips to a wheel I had just painted I would slap them cross eyed.

#9 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 10:31 AM

IF someone clamped vice grips to a wheel I had just painted I would slap them cross eyed.

when ya don't want to mar a painted surface, you can use a cloth or rag, but I like to use a piece of old inner tube. hold it against the rim and then grip it with the vice-grips. Works well when you want to use a bench vice to hold something you don't want to tear up too.

#10 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 01:27 PM

Yeah but he didn't do anything but clamp to the paint. That would not set well with me. My biddy has a little rig he clamps into his big tire machine to make it easy to change tractor tires. Especially since I don't mind helping him. We can do 4 tractor tires in about 30 minutes. Not bad for the little cantankerous things.