• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Petenpole OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 06:16 AM

Yesterday wheil getting the snow blower ready to mount on the 1855 I notices a loose snap ring behind the pulley on the PTO Shaft.

The snap ring is item # 26 in the diagram and the bearing # 27 had crept out about 1/8 of an inch. So being ingenious i pushed the bearing back in and put the snap ring back inside on the Nut #28. Before putting the snap ring back in i did feel the inside of the nut and did NOT feel any ridge or grooive that was to hold the snap ring in place.

After fitting up the snow blower I started the tractor engaged the electric cluth and then shut her down only to find the snap ring was back out of nut #28 and the bearing had crept back out like i had previously found it.

So here are the questions: Should there be a groove in nut 28 to hold the snap ring? And does nut 28 just unthread off of the sleeve? Anything unusual in removing the nut? Do I need to have the front end raised? I do have a parts tractor that has the pto shaft, nut and bearing still in it and the parts are there just wanting to know what to expect in fixing this hiccup.

pto parts.jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,219 Thanks
  • 29,687 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:19 AM

Wish I could help, but I sold this complete shaft setup off my tractor as I didn't need it for my loader tractor.
  • Petenpole said thank you

#3 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,055 Thanks
  • 1,436 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:37 AM

The nut just turns off its threaded.The snap ring does keep the brg from comming out.But if I remeber right there is a snap ring on the splined shaft as well ,there's one on each end,I'am trying to think what mine looked like but I also belive that there was a snap ring inside the big nut also.Larry