Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Lgt165 Steering Questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nycub122 OFFLINE  

nycub122

• Member No: 4045
  • 24 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 05:27 AM

I have a 1976 Ford LGT165 (open sided, tube frame) with some steering issues that need correction.
My questions are:

1) How do you remove the excess play at the front axle pivot point? By excessive play, I'm refering to
the back and forward movement of the front axle at the pivot.
2) I have rebuilt Ross steering gear boxes for Cub Cadets before. Are parts for the Ford steering box
the same as Cubs?
If so, can the "super steer" kit advertised for use with Cubs be used for the Ford?
3) Can a roller bearing be used in place of the plastic bushing at the top of the steering column
(where the steering shaft comes through the column tube)?

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
GEL

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 12,041 Thanks
  • 25,554 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 06:21 AM

How much does it move? My only guess would be to make a shim washer to take up the most of that movement. Not much of any other way I know of with that cast iron mount. Some one else may have a better idea.
I haven't worked over a steering box as yet (Cub or Ford) so i can't say if they are the same or not. If you can find a bearing that fits in place of that bushing, I'd do it.

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 6,212 Thanks
  • 6,768 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 09:30 PM

As Kenny said, use a shim washer the remove the back and forward movement of the axle, at the pivot point.
But, that begs the question, "Why is there that kind of play there?"
The axle is cast, and the pivot lugs are cast, as part of the oil pan. Both have machined surfaces. So, unless
it was machined incorrectly when new, something caused one or both of the machined surfaces to wear down.
Is there back and forward movement at the outer ends of the axle? More than at the pivot point?
If so, and probably, you need to rebush the pivot lugs.

I just redid mine, and now, it's all nice and tight. Here is a link to some posts about rebushing it.

http://gardentractor..._45#entry214150

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,041 Thanks
  • 25,554 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 04:56 AM

Thanks, Will! Since I haven't 'seen' this set up, it's rather hard to give advice on how to fix it. I think pulling the axle would be a good idea to see if the bushings/pin have wear there also. I also think that would be a good time to add in a grease zerk to allow lubing this.

#5 nycub122 OFFLINE  

nycub122

• Member No: 4045
  • 24 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 05:13 AM

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Are the bushings at the axle pivot point replaceable?
GEL

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,041 Thanks
  • 25,554 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Are the bushings at the axle pivot point replaceable?
GEL

Yes, the bushings in the axle pivot are replaceable. The bushing part #'s are JAC351798, $11 each at New Holland. I was hoping Keith (skyrydr2) would jump in here. I am sure he has dealt with this. I may have to dig through the old threads and see what I find.

#7 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 1,591 Thanks
  • 2,132 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:09 AM

Axle it self has bushings that can be replaced as Kenny has pointed out. If the actual oil pan/axle pivot points are worn ?? You may need to get pretty creative ? Later this winter I will have one of these to repair as we rebuild an LGT 125 for competition pulling in bone stock.
  • KennyP said thank you