Well I have finally got this project done. This spring was way to cool and wet to paint and then it went right into blistering "HOT" for the summer months. Way to hot for me to paint, even in the shade.
I did some custom mixing with colors to find what I wanted. I had a newer lookin' wheel that was covered with grease/ oil and dirt on the inside that I cleaned and used to match color. I would guess that was as close to original as I could get. The colors I used were JD green and yellow. Alot of people have said a 50/50 mix was close. Well I found that to be to light (neon) looking for me and is was way to light a match for the wheel I had. I ended up with a 4:2 oz. mix (green to yellow) and added 1 1/2 tablespoons of green to match. It is really close to the wheel color I had.
The red was a little more of a challenge. There are so many shades floating around out there. I know that the Bradley factory bought paint from different suppliers and probably mixed those together as they went. Between that and the exposer to the sun and eliments would cause variations in color. One thing I did notice in almost all the tractors with original paint was the slight orange hugh. So I started playing around with Massey red and Allis orange. What I came up with is a custom color of my own. The mix is 8:2 oz. ratio (red /orange).
The finished product has a mild red color. Looking at it in the sunlight while walking around you can see the color change with a hint of orange in it at different angles. I am really pleased with the way the red color turned out. I will be using it on all my red tractors and implements that I decide to restore so my whole collection will look the same someday. Some items will stay the way I found them though......It gives them charater.
Edited by PaPasTractor, October 07, 2012 - 12:20 PM.