Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Db Hardtail Sulky Ready For Paint (update)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 11:21 PM

Howdy friends, It has been awhile since I have been on here. I hope everyone had a great summer.

Well I have finally got this project done. This spring was way to cool and wet to paint and then it went right into blistering "HOT" for the summer months. Way to hot for me to paint, even in the shade.

I did some custom mixing with colors to find what I wanted. I had a newer lookin' wheel that was covered with grease/ oil and dirt on the inside that I cleaned and used to match color. I would guess that was as close to original as I could get. The colors I used were JD green and yellow. Alot of people have said a 50/50 mix was close. Well I found that to be to light (neon) looking for me and is was way to light a match for the wheel I had. I ended up with a 4:2 oz. mix (green to yellow) and added 1 1/2 tablespoons of green to match. It is really close to the wheel color I had.

The red was a little more of a challenge. There are so many shades floating around out there. I know that the Bradley factory bought paint from different suppliers and probably mixed those together as they went. Between that and the exposer to the sun and eliments would cause variations in color. One thing I did notice in almost all the tractors with original paint was the slight orange hugh. So I started playing around with Massey red and Allis orange. What I came up with is a custom color of my own. The mix is 8:2 oz. ratio (red /orange).
The finished product has a mild red color. Looking at it in the sunlight while walking around you can see the color change with a hint of orange in it at different angles. I am really pleased with the way the red color turned out. I will be using it on all my red tractors and implements that I decide to restore so my whole collection will look the same someday. Some items will stay the way I found them though......It gives them charater.

DSC_0690.JPG DSC_0692.JPG DSC_0697.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0702.JPG

Edited by PaPasTractor, October 07, 2012 - 12:20 PM.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 12:19 AM

you have to be happy ...it turned out great...good Job!
  • PaPasTractor said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,666 Thanks
  • 39,046 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 01:50 AM

Looks good! Glad you were able to get the colors you wanted.

• Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 04:12 AM

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the pix with us!

• Member No: 7710
  • 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 11:42 AM

Hi Dave,
That is a really nice shade of green on the seat and wheels.Classy!
Our sulky is comfortable to ride on. Enjoy your new ride.