#1 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,669 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 08:26 PM

I’ve always been mechanically inclined, always felt that if I could fix it then I wouldn’t have to pay someone else to. This all must have started way back when dad brought home an old rider and said if you don’t want to push mow the yard then fix it. The yard was 3 acres! Got three or four summers out of that old piece of…
Away, have always fix my own and most of my family’s stuff. Last night started work on mom’s car replacing the heater core. What a job! Had to take the dash out of the car. Sorry no pictures. Finished it this morning, all told about 5 ½ hours’ worth, heater works, she is happy, and total cost less than $40.
So my question to you is: What else have you fixed lately?

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,686 Thanks
  • 28,329 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 08:53 PM

Got a quote for my wife's car for inspection.
$300 for front rotors, front pads, and two marker lights.

$97 got me the brakes and bulbs, needed a t-40 star bit, $3

The inspection was $25 and the sticker an additional $5

Total $130

I told my wife I'd fix it for $200 :rolling:
  • Bmerf said thank you

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 09:31 PM

Well, lets see this week it was ...my car stereo, my headlight switch, and got the bed sides leveled and painted on the silverado. Last week it was my wife's power window, and the headliner in my truck, then it was the trucks shocks, before that it was my friends lower ball joints on his dodge truck, and shocks. Before that it was my transmission, and my window regulators in the truck, before that I replaced the fenders and welded in new bed sides, then the BMW got the roof painted, and I fixed my buddies computer...that is all NON- Tractor related...LOL

Now you want a list of the 'tractor stuff'? if so we're gonna be awhile...

#4 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 11:07 PM

Things have been going pretty good in the fixit department, a couple gluey jobs, little stuff. So, not being too bright I said OK to changing my neighbor's Yard Machines deck belt and the ignition switch today. He's bringing the thing over this week. Why do I get myself into things like this just because I want to help out a good guy....?

#5 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 05:52 AM

Like Bmerf, I also have been tinkering with mechanical things for a long time, and willing to tackle most any project after doing the appropriate research. However I do not do any thing to our vehicles any more as they are just too big of a pain in the you know where to work on. Other than that: If its broke and I can take it apart I am at least going to try.

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:06 AM

Every working day for the past 20 years. Thats what I do. The stuff around the house and the GTs are for relaxing. No dead lines, nobody fussing about how long its taking (except the wife and her to do list), no bosses wanting updates, no visits by anybody elses "good idea fairy". No emergencies.

I have aways enjoyed repairing stuff, its always a great feeling to take something old and broken and get it back going again.
  • Team_Green said thank you

#7 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,055 Thanks
  • 1,436 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:46 AM

Always fixing something,my cars,truck,tractors,implements etc:Its a way of life for me and has been since I've been old enough to turn a wrench.The newer vehicles with the computer stuff the things that I can't do will get taken in as there's noway I'll buy a computer to test out whats wrong with my vehicles I'd have to keep updating them .Any other stuff that doesn't need to be set by a machine is all done at home so far.Hopefully I'll be good to do this stuff for at least another 20+ yrs.As long as my not so mechanical arms etc: keep working,LOL Larry

Edited by massey driver, October 07, 2012 - 06:30 PM.

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,686 Thanks
  • 28,329 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 03:39 PM

Spent a good part of the day wishing it would either stop raining, get over 40 degrees or both as I lay under my Dad's snowplow truck trying to drop the gas tank. The ground wire had rotted off (Brilliant GM, Let's put it up on TOP of the frame, where no one can get to it...) and the tank had to come down to verify and repair.

Job wasn't any easier with the truck parked away from power. Really wanted to use the nibbler to cut the straps off & build new ones, but I had to make do with actually trying to save the ones that were on there. Finally got it. Thank God for PB Blaster & Aero Kroil.

It's been waiting all summer for me to get approval from Dad to work on it... I just decided to go do it "without blessings" so It wasn't any colder when he decided we should.

Hot cup of coffee & a dry shirt never felt so good. Now I don't have to worry if they can get out when the snows hit.

Big Thanks to my Kid. Ryan, I know you were cold... Thanks for hanging in there.

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,649 Thanks
  • 8,525 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 03:53 PM

Just replaced the starter on the bike which is located under the oil tank and most of the electric's are located in the middle of the oil tank. But I put a new starter in and went on a long ride today and it fired up every time I also had to fix the GPS holder so I took some metal strapping and my plastic welding iron, made the metal strap look like the original piece then impregnated it into the remaining plastic with a bit of a build up.

Fix the granddaughter's toilet so she is now happy.

#10 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 05:39 PM

Put new tires on the GMC and that's about all I can remember since about 2 months ago.