13 replies to this topic

#1 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 03:50 PM

I finally got my first GT last week. I had no Idea what it was so I asked on another forum and found out it is a 67. It hasn't been run for years and looks like someone has checked some things out but didn't get it running. I could tell by the new bolts on the recoil and a few other details. The points arent openong and closing. I know nothing about this system. I remember when my cars and trucks used points, but they ran on a cam, these do not. I don't know what else to check in order to get spark, But I will learn as I do want to get it running.suburban05.JPG suburban01.JPG suburban02.JPG suburban03.JPG

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 04:15 PM

:welcometogttalk: Glad to have you here. Bear with us a bit, someone should be along to help with this!
  • robert_p43 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 04:41 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk, nice 'Burban!

The points do run on a lobe on the cam. Not at all uncommon for the pin to get stuck. Old oil, age, possible rust.

Please take note: be VERY careful with that pin. They are getting scarce. Hopefully yours is OK.

Safest way to get them freed up (despite popular opinion) is not to grab them with pliers and try to force it. Been there, done that, wished I hadn't.
The best way is to take the engine out, split the case, and slowly clean your way to the pin, then carefully extract it. It will also give you a chance to check out bearing slop and rod /crank play. You can make a gasket pretty easy (note where the long bolt goes when you take it out) and the job is not hard... Dirty, but not hard. :)

#4 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 06, 2012 - 05:09 PM

I have not tried to grab it with the pliers.I usually soak them good with wd-40 type stuff and gently tap them with a brass hammer.
that will work but the only true way to get them clean is to pull it out and polish it. The quick easy way will get them going in a hurry, but they can get sticky, you will be fighting it until you do it right.

when you do get it out, mic it to make sure it is still in spec and not worn too much.

Edited by rat88, October 06, 2012 - 05:11 PM.

• MH81 and robert_p43 have said thanks

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 05:48 PM

Welcome to the Forum! Getting a Gt that looks that good for a 'fair' price can be a big task in itself. Getting them running well is another job that 'should be' fun as we learn. Good luck & looking forward to the progress. One more thing;.. PATIENCE

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 08:01 PM

Welcome to GTTalk and congrats on the tractor. I hope you can get the engine sorted out without too much work. You will have lots of folks here to help out!

#7 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:23 AM

First, let me thank You all for the replies and the encouragement.
Now if only I could find some sort of service manual to help me. I have found and downloaded owners manuals for the tractor and the motor but nothing with procedures like the "hanes" automotive manuals. I tried to get into a small engine course at the technical schools close by. They only offer them to kids in 8'th grade or highschoolers. Adults can't take the classes. They offer, for adults, classes for building racing engines for their cars. I just want to learn how to work on small engines like this old Tecumseh.
I read how people are completely tearing down their tractors for a rebuild in practically no time at all, but I just helped a friend change his brakeband on a sears tractor. It took quite some time. A service manual may have showed an order to follow that would have made it an hours work. Maybe not too. LOL I would be happy with a good small engine service manual right now.
I almost grabbed the needle nosed pliers when I saw that plunger pin not move but decided it may be a bad idea as I have already read that they are impossible to find. I am glad I didn't right now.

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:29 AM

Have you looked through our manuals section? There are some in there that may be of some help.

#9 robert_p43 ONLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 04:29 PM

KennyP, you know, I had been through the manuals section looking for stuff a few times so far. After checking back on this post, I thought, one more time. Then, right on the front page, under popular downloads, there was a service manual for the HH100. It had more info than the other manuals that I have downloaded.
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 05:05 PM

Glad you found something to help you out!

#11 robert_p43 ONLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 05:21 PM

Did I really write surban 10? :wallbanging: I You realize I meant Suburban 10.

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 06:14 PM

Did I really write surban 10? :wallbanging: I You realize I meant Suburban 10.

Fixed, I didn't even see it until you said something. LOL

#13 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 08, 2012 - 02:25 PM

I have found and downloaded owners manuals for the tractor and the motor but nothing with procedures like the "hanes" automotive manuals.
I just want to learn how to work on small engines like this old Tecumseh.

I have an old" Intertec yard and garden tractor service manual", First edition too! not sure it if is even still available. I got mine in 1992. it was printed by a local company (in Overland Park Kansas). If you want to compare it to a haynes or chilton, 600 pages for 40 different tractor manufacturers, so maybe not the detail you are looking for but it might give you enough info to get you out of a jam.
They also have manuals for small engines, farm tractors, boat engines and more. mostly older (pre 80's stuff) but they may have some books on the newer stuff by now.

As for the vo-tech class, foley belsaw has a "mail order" small engine course. It can be kind of expensive.($800)
They are local also. I think they even have "in house" day and night classes in their 435 and front street location (KCMO)

#14 robert_p43 ONLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 04:45 PM

That pin is stuck good. Well, not good. LOL I put some of my homemade "rust-bust" on it 2 days ago. Today, I removed the points thinking I might try to give it a tap but noticed a little chunk missing. It is not the whole end but just a corner like someone had already tried to get it unstuck. I guess I need to take the route that MH81 suggested. I am afraid that the pin may be ruined though. Is this something that I could have made up in a machine shop? Or better yet, I have a brother that restores and repairs old clocks. He has tools and stuff to make tiny-tiny little pins. and gears and stuff that are inside clocks. I am not sure he would want to do this but it's worth asking. Does anyone know the specs on this part?
The motor is Tecumseh 143.579032

Started a new thread on the pin. http://gardentractor...in/#entry221985