#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 10:32 PM

Tore into the 990 today, got it running and took a run with it. Later didn't run and decided to start tearing it down. Brakes didn't seem to work. Is a disc back on gear case. found the nut on the pucks was not tight enough and tightened it up and think It should work. Removed the brake unit, no problem. Disc not! Didn't see a set screw or any pin to hold it on. Two big bolts behind it to remove metal parts, so used those to push on disc. A third bolt I put between case and disc near hub helped push when unscrewed. Made big Snap and started to move. Worked with oil, punches, and finally heat to get it off. My question is ......is that disc really just supposed to "float" on the shaft? It does have a key. Brake caliper would keep it on. OR, is it supposed to be pressed on? I bent it some messing around and some dings in hub from punch and not so nice now. Think I would ever find that disc new or kinda out of luck? Not sure I can straighten this one, but will see what I can do with my press maybe. NOW.....will I be driving it back on or should it just slide on the shaft after clean-up??

#2 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 04:08 PM

The rotor must float freely back and forth, on a car the caliper moves on these the rotor moves, If you bent it your probablly going too have to find one , I doubt it will work right with poor run out.

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 08:44 PM

Bent, I know it won't work. My trying to straighten, not sure if I can or how to start. Thinking it must have moved on shaft, but this one was rusted on pretty good. Wonder if that will be "unobtainium" or is a common part from other tractors or devices? Not sure where to start. Maybe MTD for first question?

#4 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 06:06 AM

Pretty common part on MTD built tractors. Also, should still be available new.

http://www.jackssmal...0142/1975990/pd

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 06:39 PM

Joes Outdoor Power is parting a MTD Fourteen and Fifteen Hundred.He may have a good used Brake hub for you.

http://stores.ebay.c...i.html?_nkw=MTD

Send him a PM I'm getting parts off of him for my Fourteen Hundred.He's a good guy to deal with.

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 05:23 PM

Joe's says "Not in Stock at time". I did buy some of those 1400 parts from him, quite a bit actually, didn't know I needed disc at time to ask earlier. Also got a bunch of WH GT14 parts he had same time. He has all the good stuff, but don't like he tears up good rebuildable tractors to get them. Probly wait till later get the new one like posted above. Long ways from re-assembly now.

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 04:43 PM

Finally got the key out of shaft with chisel, no damage to edges of shaft cut. have few shots of the disc. Damage from small punch used to get it off. Think that will be fine, what you think? Also couple shots of the Bend in the disc. Have a press, not much in blocks and such, and little knowledge of using it yet. Have suggestions? The bore and shaft will be fine with rust clean-up I think and new key.

Attached Thumbnails

• MTD clutch pix 001.jpg
  • MTD clutch pix 002.jpg
  • MTD clutch pix 004.jpg
  • MTD clutch pix 005.jpg