#1 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 09:57 PM

Will I went out to get some firewood today by my dad's house and was driving through the woods by an old logging camp (1930's) when I saw what I though was one of our big black angus bulls. I thought "dang" he went through the fences. Then I could tell it was a bear, one big bear. Then I saw two more gold colored bears that looked normal size with it. As I got closer she stood up, looked like she was 8 foot tall and almost as wide. I had never seen a grizzly as dark as her before. The cubs were two year olds. They moved into the brush and I could see them as I drove by. I did keep an eye open as I was cutting wood about 80 yards from there. I need to remember to bring my camera all the time. I told my dad about her. He said ya he had only seen her a couple of times. He saw her last year when the cubs were yearlings and said she was as big or bigger than most boars, said he thought she would even go 700 lbs. There are a lot of grizzlys here. The tag and collar them alot here.
  • MH81, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 1 other said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 10:17 PM

I am not sure you'd get me out of the truck within a 800 yards of a Grizzly, especially one with cubs.
  • Bud said thank you

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 10:27 PM

:iagree:
  • Bud said thank you

#4 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 10:58 PM

A ground squirrel crossed the road in front of my car this morning.

Sorry to show you up like that!

That's just crazy! Do they ever bother the cattle?
  • Bud and LilysDad have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 03:59 AM

You can keep it up there, I don't want it down here. They did catch a mountain lion in West Tulsa this spring, though!
  • Bud said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 06:29 AM

That's pretty scary but I guess you can expect to see them in your neighbourhood. It would make me very nervous to have them nearby. We had a Moose in the city the other day. As we encroach on the range of these animals we will be seeing them more often. Moose are very dangerous. The males in particular can be very aggressive during mating season and they are about the size of a horse. There are many deaths due to car accidents in Newfoundland where they have a huge moose population. Typically the moose is struck in the legs and the body ends up coming through the windshield of the car. They are rare in this area and were even thought to be extinct locally!
Heres the story. http://www.cbc.ca/ne...in-halifax.html
  • Bud, Bruce Dorsi and LilysDad have said thanks

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 06:31 AM

Now, if you were like that Irwin guy you would :poke: . (Of course, we all know where he is!)
  • Bud and JDBrian have said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 06:52 AM

Now, if you were like that Irwin guy you would :poke: . (Of course, we all know where he is!)

I still remember the show where he chased a big black Cobra up a tree. The snake was trying to get away from him. He was saying " Look at her,! What a beauty!" while the snake was trying to strike him from it's perch in the tree. I was amazed at the speed and strength of that snake. It was striking maybe 4 -5ft. straight out from the tree. In the end he took one too many chances!
  • Bud said thank you

#9 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 927 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 06:56 AM

That is scary something that weights 700lbs has to have some meat for dinner.
  • Bud said thank you

#10 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 07:57 AM

A ground squirrel crossed the road in front of my car this morning.

Sorry to show you up like that!

That's just crazy! Do they ever bother the cattle?

Only one time that I know of. Around this time a few yearws ago. Didn't kill it at the time of the attack (the herd usually run them off) but it died a day later. Tribal biologist came and measured the bit marks on the neck and said it was a grizzly. Lions have gotten several ovr the years, but the worst trouble to livestock were packs of domestic dogs. The dogs aren't so bad anymore.

#11 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 08:42 AM

Stay safe.. not to scare you but did you know a grizzly can cover that 80 yard distance faster then you can poop your pants.. They run like the wind for their size. I would not trust one.. not even with my 44mag on my side. PLEASE be careful around these huge animals.

We get more then enough grizzly attacks up here.. When we are out deer hunting we have to have someone watching while we gut out the deer or elk.. bears smell it and come and take it from you..
  • Bud said thank you

#12 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 08:55 AM

Bud- Stay safe out there. I took the family out to your beautiful state recently, and we never went anywhere without our mondo cans of bear spray. I had hopes of seeing a Grizzy from a distance, but all we came across was fresh scat that smelled like pepper, and had liittle bells in it .
  • Bud, MH81, Team_Green and 1 other said thanks

#13 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 09:08 AM

Bud- Stay safe out there. I took the family out to your beautiful state recently, and we never went anywhere without our mondo cans of bear spray. I had hopes of seeing a Grizzy from a distance, but all we came across was fresh scat that smelled like pepper, and had liittle bells in it .

:poke: :poke: :rolling:

Heck.. truth is.. it's closer to people then they think.. My wifes EX was attacked by a grizz.. She was 30 feet behind him. No joke. He is alive, The bear chewed on his arm and gave him a smack then left him for dead. it took a long time for Kevin to be able to move his arm. All of it took less then a minute.. Please be careful..

I'm sorry but thats funny 180.. bear spray.. it's true.. just gives you a little more spice flavoring for the bear.. might cover the poop in your pants scent.. I love and am willing to share my space with all of gods creatures.. Bears are the one up here i don't trust. I will do due diligence to get them to leave unharmed. BUT push comes to shove and my family or herd is at stake they are going down. I won't mess around with em when they are closer then 100 yards as it takes em no time to cover that distance..
  • Bud said thank you

#14 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 05:58 AM

That sounds like one BIG BEAR. Keep a safe distance, mine would be a half mile or so :D

Edited by Michiganmobileman, October 07, 2012 - 05:58 AM.

#15 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 06:52 AM

I won't mess around with em when they are closer then 100 yards as it takes em no time to cover that distance..

Then, there are folks who will try to feed 'em a peanut butter sandwich from their hand!!! (I'm shaking my head.)