2 replies to this topic

#1 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 09:53 PM

I picked up my first snowblower a couple nights ago. Man, these things are solid!

Since i'm new to these, I'm looking for any documentation anyone may have and willing to share. Owners manual, parts manual, I don't care. I want her to be a worker first, I'll pretty her up next year. She is a 1978 Gilson with a B&S 5 hp motor and a 26" cutting path.

Pictures will follow tomorrow.

Thanks, Terry

#2 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 04:51 AM

I have an early 70's Gilson Bros rar tine tiller and yes, these things were deff built right!!! It took me a couple weeks to hunt down the manual for it online but in my searches i came across a ton of manuals for the gilson snowblowers. Google it and keep scanning....you will deff find it. I'll look for ya to. I'll post any links i find.
Advice: older gilson products had metal fuel tanks with metal caps. Inside the cap is a couple inserts. Get them out and clean the little holes in each piece. They rust shut and you can barely tell. When rusted or plugged....the engine creates a vacum and will shut down after a few minutes of running. Alot of machines with metal tanks do this and i havent seen a gilson yet that hasn't....lol. Good luck to ya....ya have a great machine!!

#3 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 03:26 PM

Finally got some pictures worthy of posting. It's taken longer to get this thing apart than I realized, but here you go. Eventually there will be before, during, and after.
DSC00827.JPG
DSC00825.JPG
DSC00823.JPG
DSC00824.JPG

Took the head off and still find a crosshatched cylinder.
DSC00833.JPG

The wheels were rusted on, but a propane torch, rust penetrant, and a couple pipe wrenches later....
DSC00838.JPG
DSC00839.JPG

Skids have plenty of material left so they go in the e-tank.
DSC00836.JPG